Meets in Austin and Houston in December

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:00 pm
My wife and I will be in Austin to visit our son from December 4 to 11, and plan to meet with some a2kers in Austin and Houston. PDiddie, Mrs PD, edgar, probably Shewolf and hubby, and several others have already shown interest to meet.

Will post date(s) and venue(s) a few weeks before we plan to meet, so please try to attend.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:03 pm
Be sure to wear stetson hats and lizard skin boots.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:44 pm
December is fast approaching. Who will be there?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm pretty sure my wife and I, PDiddie and Mrs, and I'm hoping Shewolf and her hubby and daughter, possibly our son, and you and the Mrs plus those you can invite from the area.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 02:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My wife says she does not intend to be there. Not being unfriendly, but she just does not want to do the meet.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 02:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's understandable; most wives (or spouses) wonder how strangers can get together and really have any fun. Even Walter's wife was anxious about the idea of meeting strangers, but she learned first hand that a2k meets were really good events, and participated in several.

When I was in Hamburg last November, Walter, Ulla, McT and Fiona came to spend some time together for three days.

Tell her to come; she'll enjoy herself.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay folks, there's going to be a meet in Houston on December 8, Saturday, at Kim Son restaurant located at 2001 Jefferson Street at 12-noon. Perry will suggest some other activities after lunch, so those with time on their hands can join.

Please let us know if you're planning to come - beyond those folks who have already committed to show up. We need to make sure we have enough chairs at the restaurant.

According to Perry, Kim Son is a good Pho (pronounced "pha") noodle place which my wife and I always enjoy in Silicon Valley.

Come one, come all! Promise, you'll have a good time.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:49 pm
Where you will meet in person the famous, tak, shewolf, PDiddie and even edgarblythe. Autographs. Bring your own tee shirts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:07 pm
As I count it, we may be a party of nine.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
I recommend some of you contact Pemerson. I'd like to meet her myself.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:22 pm
I PM'd pemerson.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I gave up even asking on the Amtrak site. They are futzy or I am. In this case, I put it on them.
My memory from not too long ago looks re to California has been that the train costs more than a plane.

I was temporarily fantisizing of possibly squeaking to visit, but no.

I'll tune in, though.

But this brings up the whole speed rail stuff.

I'd be happy with ordinary rail working and enlarged.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Train travel used to be a good experience. In 1957, December, we rode a train from Fresno to Houston, switched there and took one to Corpus Christi, with all our baggage and even a dog.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I took some of the famous trains cross country as a child - not completely insentient - and decades later, some trains in italy, me just getting a ticket by standing in some line, once standing from Rome to Bologna, jerk, jerk, sway, slide, to run across the station and catch another train.
I love dem trains.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I really liked Ulla, a lot. Diane and she and I had a good day.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Ulla is a wonderful person who has grown to like a2kers after her first meet with some of us in her home town of Lippstadt. I believe she questioned Walter's sanity for meeting up with strangers all over the US and England, but she fits in very well like my wife with "total strangers."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is mac11 still around?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:39 pm
@JPB,
I haven't seen her on the board in so long, I forgot she was from these parts.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 10:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
After lunch we'll go a few minutes west to Houston's still-new downtown park, Discovery Green.

http://www.discoverygreen.com/

Last call for any H-Town/Texas A2Kers to join us...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:24 pm
@PDiddie,
I have another friend coming to the luncheon in case you're making reservations.
0 Replies