edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 09:59 am
Thanksgiving. There are great numbers of people who can be carefree and celebrate on this day. While I am in the lucky group this year, I am ever mindful that it is a planet of haves and have nots and only a small percentage of humans are truly well off, in the sense that their lives can never be weighted by despair. The best we can do for ourselves and others is to help out and at least do no harm to one another and to strive for happiness in the years we have to live. To one and all (even those who do not feel affection toward me) I wish the the best on Thanksgiving Day.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
So true! My contributions are now limited to Second Harvest Food Bank and Habitat for Humanities. They are excellent charities that help all peoples regardless of class or any grouping.

Thanks for that "reminder."
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Happy again, CI.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 08:53 am
I have to start off the day repairing a plumbing leak. It is easy to reach and not a hard job. But, when I discovered it yester-evening, there were no stores open with the kind of stuff I need to fix it. Mobile homes have screwy pipes. Not just anybody caters to us. So, I have not had hot water this morning. I am going to start calling the best place just after nine. I hope he did not take off until Monday. The second best place definitely shut down for four days.

Seems more and more a2k members are squabbling and fighting, many of whom I always assumed were good friends. Be it known, I do not intend to side with one friend over another, regardless of which may appear to be in the wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 09:28 am
They killed off a gangster on Vegas last episode, that I thought ought to be a regular. He was the right blend of physical appearance, ruthlessness and amorality to fascinate. - Tried tuning an episode of the Good Wife - looks like Goodwife onscreen - Just never got involved.

If I am up before seven on Sundays, I get to watch Laurel and Hardy.

When the new feature to the site is added, which allows one to delete certain individuals from their a2k experience, I do not plan to immediately zonk any specific persons. Even ones on ignore. Perhaps, a few, with time. It would be much to easy to act hastily, however.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 06:04 am
The long weekend has ended. The greatest downside to extended time off is it takes the entire period to throw off enough stress to relax. I achieved that state last evening, after dinner. Today, before I even get out of the house, stress has returned. But it was worth it. I managed to make substantial progress on some projects around home. Plus got to spend time with my wife.

I saw a headline that asserts gun sales are up since Obama got reelected. "He's going to take away our gun rights." They say that each time a Democrat gets elected. Each time they spend all of their money on guns and bullets. Each time they wave the Dem farewell eventually and are left sitting atop an ever growing mountain of weapons. The gun manufacturer's dream. If another Dem replaces Obama, the same thing will happen. The worst thing that could happen to gun makers is the election of a Republican president.

I have been liking The Mentalist this season, although the crime stories are really the same formula as in the early days of cop/detective shows. Present a crime. Have everybody looking at the wrong suspects. The person seeming least likely to be guilty is the murderer. Last night I immediately fingered one of the perpetrators. Only thing, it was he, plus his colleagues.

Lead man is on vacation this week. It is up to me and the newest man to party on - I mean, up to us to carry on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:54 am
I have Christmas music ear worms. So, shoot me.

If a bear shits in the woods and there is nobody there to observe it does it really merit our conversation?

I still object to cutting the budget for the poor and vulnerable, while preserving military funding that pretty much answers to no one.

I won the Powerball lottery. Seven dollars, suckahs. That puts me five dollars ahead for the week, but quite a bit behind for the year.

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:58 am
@edgarblythe,
I think you participate in the Powerball lottery. ed, a form of theft btw, because you harbour secret yearnings to be a fat cat.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:04 am
@spendius,
The security of money is necessary in this world, unless one fancies cardboard box condominiums in old age.
spendius

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:50 am
@edgarblythe,
That will never happen to you ed. You're too handy a man for the world to let you starve.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 01:23 pm
@spendius,
I likely will still be working for a living the same year I expire.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 06:08 am
Stuff such as dreams are made on -
Everybody buying Powerball tickets.

More painting today.

I have begun reading a novel by T. Coraghessan Boyle, titled, The Road to Wellville. I loved his The Tortilla Curtain, but did not enjoy a collection of his short stories. This book begins with John Kellog, inventor of corn flakes, addressing an audience, after the manner of a snake oil salesman. It is apparently about people making use of a sanitarium run by Kellogg. I'm still on chapter one.

Looking forward to the a2k meetup, coming up rather quickly. Good people going to attend.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 05:58 am
No matter the size of the pot, I never buy multiple tickets. What I spend is but a fraction of the amount I once spent on alcohol and tobacco.

I put lights around the porch last Saturday and put a deer and a spiral Christmas tree out front. It looks great. My wife wanted me to decorate the rest of the house, but that's just crazy talk. Too much electric, too much unnecessary work. Rather than tell her that, I am just letting it slide. Heh heh.

I bought a camera that also makes videos. It is not top quality. I expected to make youtube videos that would go viral, but after more than a year, I just have two lame ones of the birthday party for my mother in law and a panorama of the lake. Cecil B. DeMille I am not.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 05:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
You,
Quote:
but that's just crazy talk.

That's the attitude I lived with after our children reached beyond their teenage years. Mr. Green
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Very Happy Razz Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:03 am
My wife has to wear hearing aids to work. She finds them too uncomfortable to wear all day long. Consequently, she has to remove them in the home. My voice is too soft and a wrong pitch for her to understand my conversation. I am thinking about seeking an electronic device I can wear that will amplify my voice. Can't pay a fortune for it, but something has got to be done.

Bob Dole is the hospital? I don't know why: I thought he died a few years back.

My daughter has moved back from Austin. She has so much going on, getting settled in and starting her new job that we have not yet visited her. It will likely take close to a half hour to drive there. Perhaps a bit longer. That's two grandsons I will get to see from time to time.
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Bob Dole is in the hospital also? Dubyah's daddy, George HW Bush has been hospitalized, too.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:11 am
@Ragman,
Bush is in. He is all over the local news, since he resides here. As soon as he quits coughing so much they will release him. Bronchitis.
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Got it. It's both of them.

BTW, I thought of a way to help you with the hearing issue. There are small relatively inexpensive wireless mikes that use an tiny low power FM transmitters that'll amplify your voice. They use them in public speaking setups quite a bit. I'm guessing it can be had for less than $100 off the top of my head
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:15 am
@Ragman,
Thanks. I will check it out when I get home from work.