Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
ed, do you have your own guages and a/c tools.

you should be able to make a lot of money down there troubleshooting and repairing home cooling units by word of mouth.

even just doing routine maintenance in the spring.

just showing up for the service call is worth $50...
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
After being a child of the '50-'60s and growing up in the volatile era of political asassinations, I don't think there'll be a governmental collapse if it didn't happen in the '60s. However, that being said, what's almost as bad as a government collapse is one that's totally ineffective while the country wallows in more than one major crisis and millions of people losing home and losing their livelihood. A gov't collapse might eventually bring some sort of resolution. How the current situation plays out and trends indicate is far less tolerable and survivable for many or most.

Thomas Jefferson quote : A Rebellion or Revolution is needed every 20 years!

http://current.com/community/93482988_thomas-jefferson-a-rebellion-or-revolution-is-needed-every-20-years.htm
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:33 pm
@Ragman,
The damn thing is that many voters are helping to destroy the very country that lets them do it.

Many middle class and poor vote for republicans that will increase their taxes while giving bigger tax breaks to the wealthy.

I'll never understand this phenomenon in ten lifetimes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:35 pm
@Rockhead,
If you get caught without a contractor license there could be trouble. I have a license to work with freon, but doing your own jobs requires going through the same licensing process as an electrician. You generally pass a test, work as an apprentice, etc. As an independent (hustler) if you do not have company backing, the A/C supplier will not sell you freon or condensers. Then there is that my equipment does not always work with different brands. My gauges would not fit on my daughter's A/C. Anyway, I don't want to go in hot attics or on top of flat roofs.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
as an independent, you get to say no to any jobs you can't or don't wish to do.

not sure about how seriously they can enforce their licensing rules, or how hard they make them to get.

I can help you from the supplier end as long as you have a freon license, I can buy anything...

give it some thought.

(you could even learn how to recharge automotive a/c. same gauges, just a box of adapters to fit everything)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:45 pm
@Ragman,
From handyamerican.com.

Quote:
A state of Texas handyman license is required in the Lone Star State. In addition to handyman license requirements, a handyman business license must be obtained. Some Texas cities require an occupation license to become a handyman contractor.

Here's the Texas Licensing Application for ac tech.
https://www.license.state.tx.us/App_Online/AppPathBegin.asp?apptype=092AN1
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:21 pm
Anyway, I think doing that sort of service would put me back where I am now. I prefer to try to think of something else.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:35 am
1158a. Sitting here in nearly a stupor. Contemplating chewing through the leather straps. My coworkers always resent the time I give the swimming pool. I ignore them long enough to do what is necessary. I owe it to the residents as well as the company to make it as clean and safe as I can. It takes from 15 minutes to over an hour to perform a daily duty. Same thing with the potted plants around the office. If I don't water them nobody does.
Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
... My coworkers always resent the time I give the swimming pool. ...

May I ask why they don't like you doing this? It's not part of the job?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 04:06 pm
@Reyn,
It's because there are a lot of other jobs they want me helping with. They think that by walking in on me as I test the water and telling me lists of urgent projects, I might be coerced to leave the pool alone. That sort of thing used to work, but no more. It's all of equal importance to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 05:42 am
1159a. Randy Travis has been in trouble twice, recently. First time was public drunkenness. This time he crashed his car. The police found him, nude and belligerent. He threatened to shoot them. Whatever is driving him, I hope he can reverse it in time to save himself.
1160a. There are certain films I watch about once a year. Last night it was Marat/Sade. I realize the writing is long on questions, short on answers, but the questions haunt me. In the face of our current political scene, I find it more, not less, relevant. The film shortens a few parts from the play, but I have a record set of the play that fills in the missing pieces, should I find the time and need to refresh my memory.
1161a. It's Friday. The best part of it is knowing the calls will be taken by my coworker starting this evening.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 04:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
That sort of thing used to work, but no more. It's all of equal importance to me.

Good for you, Edgar! Give them young 'uns heck! Wink

edgarblythe wrote:
1161a. It's Friday. The best part of it is knowing the calls will be taken by my coworker starting this evening.

It sounds like you really look forward to the end of your work week!

For me, I still make feeble attempts at looking at the employment ads, alas with no success. My will to go back out to the workforce is getting less by each passing month.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 06:22 pm
@Reyn,
Volunteer work reyn. It will keep you working until you find a job.
Reyn

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 08:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I suppose, but I can find my own work to do around the home. Laughing

It's in the back of my mind for the future. Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 08:38 pm
@Reyn,
It could keep you in the public eye as a willing employee, to do charity work. Boost your image, as it were.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:55 am
1162a. If Romney and Ryan were to win the election, it would by example expose the teabaggers for what they are, but could the nation survive four years of it? The burden of stability would be thrust upon a hopefully Democratically controlled senate and the Supreme Court. You can't count on the media to help much, either.
1163a. A woman I know has taken to feeding H3O to her dog, but fears to take it for herself. I don't push. I pass along my anecdotes, but a person is responsible, ultimately, for their own health. I take a couple of products that I never mention outside of home, because I am waiting for results before letting it out.
1164a. I ended having four moringa trees. Three are in the yard and one is in a pot. One will be allowed to grow to a projected height of forty feet. The rest will be trimmed to five feet. If I follow the instructions correctly, they will bush and provide more than I can use.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
If Romney and Ryan were to win the election, it would by example expose the teabaggers for what they are, but could the nation survive four years of it? The burden of stability would be thrust upon a hopefully Democratically controlled senate and the Supreme Court. You can't count on the media to help much, either.

Ryan is still in love with Ayn Rand. Not sure about Romney because he loves himself.

BBB
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 10:32 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
One of the selling points for Ryan is his plan to make Medicare and voucher system, and reduce social security benefits.

I'm at that age where I don't give a ****, but the younger generation, especially the baby-boomers, who are beginning their retirements years "should care."

It will be a very interesting election year.

What's more surprising is the Romney-Ryan theme of cutting more taxes for the rich that will produce jobs in the US.

Anybody want to buy a bridge I have for sale?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 12:23 pm
Nobody has yet shown me evidence that cutting taxes for the rich creates jobs. I have brought this up many times but never got a direct answer from the pro tax cut crowd.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 12:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's very simple; cutting taxes has never created jobs.

The conservative's mantra about cutting taxes for the rich will create jobs has never been proven. There are facts in history that it has exacerbated the creation of jobs.

Why middle class conservatives still live by the GOP mantra is a mystery. It seems they want more suffering for themselves and their families, while they advocate for more tax cuts for the rich.

They may get their wish with Ryan on the GOP ticket.