Reyn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Still waiting for the result. He is in a hospital near Shreveport.
edit - Congratulations on a clean bill of health.

Thank you! It's nice to have something go right!

edgarblythe wrote:
... Now I will see the moringas in the ideal weather situation. The largest has to be four feet tall already. And the ones in the flower pot were peeking out yesterday. I shall soon be eating my little darlings.

I've not heard of this before. Is this a vegetable of some kind?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:03 pm
@Reyn,
google moringa trees, reyn. They are one of the most nutricious plants there are. But they could only grow as house plants in Canada.
Reyn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Okay, so what I could gather from Wikipedia, is that it's a herb of some kind?

Quote:
Much of the plant is edible by humans or by farm animals. The leaves contain all essential amino acids and are rich in protein, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C and minerals.[4] Feeding the high protein leaves to cattle has been shown to increase weight gain by up to 32% and milk production by 43 to 65%.[5] The seeds contain 30 to 40% oil that is high in oleic acid, while degreased meal is 61% protein.[

So, are you putting this into a breakfast cereal?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:15 pm
@Reyn,
You can eat the leaves cooked, green or dried. You can eat the seeds like green beans or boil them like peas, or get oil out of them. You can make tea of the flowers or cook them as food. You could eat the root if you didn't mind killing the plant.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:27 am
1119a. Could it be my son no longer feels threatened? That, being released from the hospital, he no longer needs emotional support? I have not heard from him since I posted about his condition. Yet, there was some activity on his facebook account, whether by him or another, I cannot say. I called what I believe to be his girlfriend's number last night, but had to leave a voice mail. Sup on you, homeboy?
1120a. The reason I follow so many a2k users is so that I can scroll down with the My Friends feature without opening all the threads they post on. Quicker and simpler, if I don't feel compelled to post on there. The bad part is, too many of you people play the word games.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 12:46 pm
1121a. Just talked to my son. He is still in there, still waiting for them to decide what is the problem. They are leaning to fungus or something on that order.
Reyn

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You can eat the leaves cooked, green or dried. You can eat the seeds like green beans or boil them like peas, or get oil out of them. You can make tea of the flowers or cook them as food. You could eat the root if you didn't mind killing the plant.

Sounds very versatile!

edgarblythe wrote:

1121a. Just talked to my son. He is still in there, still waiting for them to decide what is the problem. They are leaning to fungus or something on that order.

Fungus? Confused Confused Confused
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I'm glad you got to talk to him. I guess the docs are waiting for test results. Different kinds of fungal issues and infections. I'm hoping for the best. (I know a tad about one kind of fungal infection. I had one once.)
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:48 pm
@Roberta,
I am a bit miffed at him, but I shouldn't be. It's his character to behave that way. When he was very young we sent him to class with Valentines to give out. He brought home the ones from the other kids and the ones we bought as well. He told us he would give them next Valentines Day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:40 am
1122a. Had to point the bricks on one of the buildings and then dig away the dirt from the foundation, where it was too high. Excess rains have caused water to get into the carpet. Tough job in the sun. But I don't got to worry about it today. Hopefully I can find something indoors today.
1122a. No great chances for rain the coming week. Never thought I would say, "Too much," after last year's drought, but I have had enough for now.
1123a. I have been trying to kick start the new chapter all week, but haven't a word written.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 07:58 am
1124a. Rockhead's relation with the old man reminds me of a woman used to live in the apartments. I met her twenty years ago and she is now dead. After I did a few work orders for her and did my very best to see she was satisfied, we became friendly. Over succeeding years as her body and mind were on the decline, she continued to rely on me for assistance and occasional conversation. She complained about the caregivers that came in to clean and see that she was cared for. She took offense at everything they did and she feared they were stealing from her. She occasionally threatened, when talking with me, to "knock her down with my cane." Rock's tale of the purple blotch on his head reminded me of that.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:07 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
1123a. I have been trying to kick start the new chapter all week, but haven't a word written.

Edgar's got writer's block?

I never thought the fellow who authored this thread would have that problem! Shocked Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:24 am
@Reyn,
A mere bump in the road, reyn. The chapter is well underway, even as we speak.
Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 05:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Very good then!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LHLhVaivi4c/S8oo4lcp3gI/AAAAAAAAAFA/iObcvUfBYKo/s1600/wink.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 09:53 am
1124a. I am mowing today. I got the strip by the road and the parking area before the wheel fell off. I had put it on there with self tapping screws about a year ago. Today I will go with bolts, after it cools down. Old thing was rattling as though needing oil, but the reservoir is full. I told it to consider the alternative. "If you had been a horse I would have shot you long ago."
1125a. I worry about rock, since the incident he reported Friday. Hope all is under control.
1126a. Must be two weeks since my son went in the hospital. Amazing that a man with very little money and no insurance is kept in a bed, awaiting diagnosis, when he is perfectly capable of going home to wait. That Louisiana hospital must be short on patients.
Reyn

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 06:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

1124a. I am mowing today. I got the strip by the road and the parking area before the wheel fell off. I had put it on there with self tapping screws about a year ago. Today I will go with bolts, after it cools down.

I was going to ask you on FB how it went.

I bet you're a tired dude, and seeing that you're dealing with a "challenged lawnmower", must make it frusterating!

How big of an area is the lawn?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:40 pm
It's rather large. With lots of obstacles, such as trees and cactus to go around. I have to say, except for the wheel problem, it went rather well. I planned how to change up the yard and build a place to work back there. I took out some banana trees and cactus, to make a better passage for the mower. Also began moving some things in the middle of the yard to the storage shed. Not a bad day, all things considered.
Reyn

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 09:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sounds like a good plan! Might as well make the mowing as painless as possible!

You mention that you have banana trees and cactus in your yard! That sounds so exotic! Are the bananas good enough to eat?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 09:20 pm
@Reyn,
The bananas make fruit only when they can grow for about three years without freezing. The fruit is very small and usually forms so late in the season that there is no time for them to mature. I have noticed for two seasons that these bananas are not doing so well, now that the bald cypress is large enough to overshadow them. I may need to move them further in the sun.

Some bugs came by the hundreds to eat my cactus. By the time I realized the threat, they had severely damaged the ones with prickly pears on them. I poisoned them, but severe damage was done. The constant rain then began to work on them after that. They will recover, but it will take a season or two. I have some very large cactus plants that I don't know the name of. They withstood the water and I got the bugs before they did much damage. I also have a barrel cactus and another kind I don't know the name of.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 05:33 am
1127a. I used to get continual outbreaks on the skin. Since I started putting the black salve into capsules instead of primarily on the skin the outbreaks are pretty much stopped.
1128a. Coffee is the morning health food, just before breakfast.
1129a. I solved the last chapter problem by lifting one out of an earlier incarnation of my book. Now I am almost ready to begin the next one. Razz