I Have A Friend That Is Black...

patiodog

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 11:50 am
Mother rapers.

Father stabbers.

Father rapers!

Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:14 pm
I didn't get nothin ... I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage in the snow.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:24 pm
I hereby declare this thread out of control.!

Bring in the swat teams.

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HuT
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:35 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
finn's the voice of reason. Just ask around.

I care not if you or anyone considers him/her to be "the voice of reason." I tend to make my responses on a post-by-post basis. And his/her post was on topic, witty, intelligent, and most important, it made me feel really, really welcomed. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_108.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:53 pm
Oh, poo.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:54 pm
Touché!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 10:35 pm
Mexica wrote:
Touché!

You guys can enjoy your special relationship, and it's no skin off my anatomy. Plus, you can keep on beating this dead horse all you like. No rule against it.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:24 am
edgarblythe wrote:

You guys can enjoy your special relationship,

lol

Our "special" relationship" is no more "special" than the relationship between you and I. We are all 'net personas interacting on a message board, nothing all that serious.

edgarblythe wrote:

Plus, you can keep on beating this dead horse all you like

edgarblythe, please correct me if I am wrong, in regards to our discussion on this thread, I am only (and have only been) responding to your comments. So, if I am "beating a dead horse," so too are you, right?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:54 am
the first shitty remark designed to be insulting was made by you,Mexica on page 4 of this 15 page thread. Up until then we were having a friendly discussion about an event in someones life. So don't try to claim the high road now or you will just further reenforce the notion that a monkey with an ego has shown up and that has nothing to do but race, but attitude.
Piss off why not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:56 am
The original exchange concerned the troll actions of your first few posts. We exchanged our views concerning that. You and your good buddy since keep reviving the matter. I will now quit responding to you, in the interest of allowing others to get the thread back on topic.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:10 am
threads done as far as I can see. I think squinney said what she wanted to say, although I wouldn't be so bold as to speak for her. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:14 am
...and anyhoo - a thread being "done" has never stopped people from keeping it going, now has it?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:20 am
you lookin' for trouble Tex? :wink:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:24 am
Not with you, pard. If I was gonna lock horns with anyone, it'd be a certain poster who was messin' with edgar.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:21 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were pretty consequential Americans and yet their days have been combined into Presidents Day which only Federal employees get off.

So do state employees. So do teachers and school children. So, I believe, do banks.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
There are any number of important Americans, equal to if not exceeding the historical contribution of Dr. King and they get no day of their own at all.

You know, you have a point. If you started from scratch and had everyone make a list of which people deserve to have a holiday which everyone gets off, Martin Luther King might not make the top of the list. In addition to Washington and Lincoln, there are Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and Franklin Delano Roosevelt who would probably come before him.

But King was the most significant figure and the civil rights movement was the most significant social movement of the second half of the twentieth century, when the holiday was made. Coupled with the fact that America really had no great monument to the contributions of African Americans and their unique situation in America, and King got moved up a few notches. And it was just a few notches at most.

But there is a huge difference between saying, "There are a couple of other people who deserved a day before King" and saying "King's day is not really a holiday" AFTER the honor is made. We all have our own ideas about who should get an honor, and the people we choose don't always get that honor, but as long as the winner is chosen from a list of people pretty close to the top we accept it.

We only reject the winner if we feel that the honoree is so far down the list that having them win it makes the whole award meaningless. If your favorite for Most Valuable Player hit .360 with 40 home runs, and he loses to a guy who hit .300 with 50 home runs, you might not like it but you have to admit the winner had something going for him. If the guy who wins, though, hits .265 with 10 home runs, yo might conclude that the honor is totally meaningless.

That is what the bridge woman at Squinney's development is essentially saying about King's holiday. That it is so totally meaningless a holiday that it constitutes an outrage for her weekly bridge game to be cancelled so the clubhouse can be used for an event celebrating it. Despite the fact that the clubhouse is used to celebrate such holidays as Halloween, St Patrick's Day and probably a slew of others which nobody gets off from work but which most people celebrate anyway. It is not really possible to believe that there is not a racial motivation behind this woman's stance-not that she didn't favor the creation of the holiday, but her being so opposed to it's celbration.

I hope this thread doesn't end here. I would like to see how this thing turns out, to see how far this woman takes it. Will she go so far as to show up with her bridge friends at the event and try to set up a bridge game while the celebration is going on? Will she try something else?

Squinney's thread has given us an interesting vignette into how politics can affect our everyday lives. I'd like to see how it turns out.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:28 am
snood wrote:
Not with you, pard. If I was gonna lock horns with anyone, it'd be a certain poster who was messin' with edgar.

Yes, but ....
    [list][img]http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/821/150pxdonotfeedtrollsvgpo4.png[/img]
[/list]
Please Do Not Feed the Troll
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:30 am
I have a wife that is black...

Whats the point, don't we all know people who aren't white?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:36 am
Baldimo wrote:
I have a wife that is black...

As oposed to your other wives who aren't?

Baldimo wrote:
Whats the point, don't we all know people who aren't white?

Not necessarily.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:09 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the first shitty remark designed to be insulting was made by you,Mexica on page 4 of this 15 page thread. Up until then we were having a friendly discussion about an event in someones life. So don't try to claim the high road now or you will just further reenforce the notion that a monkey with an ego has shown up and that has nothing to do but race, but attitude.
Piss off why not.

Oh please STFU!

Your mentioning of celebrating Tupac birthday in a thread dealing with the Civil Right Movements icon was either idiotic or boring (maybe both) and I said as much. You are the one who began to throw around derogatory terms. No taking of the "high-road," just stating fact as recorded on this thread. I could give a f*ck if you or any of your cohorts think me a "monkey with an ego" has shown up, and I suspect that some here would make that very same claim about you. It seems I just don't have as many e-friends here as you to wade into the fray.

You distort your postings and say you didn't imply that I was "dickless pussy," but admit to likely being "wrong" about it. You then go on to say that "I'm sure you're one hell of a guy and manly too." Now please, explain to me what me being "manly" has to do with anything I wrote. Also, what does Jesus (Pronounced Hay-Soos), tearing "the hearts from their sacrificial victims," Rodney King, have to do with anything? Of course, you people are engaging in ethnic mockery, is it just coincidence that you emphasized phonetically Jesus as "Hay-Soos" or that human sacrifice was brought up in a conversation with the "Mexican nationalist?" Just because these passive aggressive ethnic utterances may have been made by "liberals" makes them no less ethnic mockery. Is it egregious? No (nor was it funny), but it was ethnic mockery none the less.

Now, given the way you and your defense counsel have behaved thus far, I doubt that you (or they) will respond directly to anything, and just make another claim that hasn't anything to with anything I said or even the topic or the thread.

As far as having a friendly conversation about the topic before my entrance, that is because no one else found your mentioning of celebrating Tupac's birthday (a convicted rapist) in a thread discussing MLK moronic, I did and said so. And please, just because you have home-filed advantage, don't try make the claim that I went off topic, any "monkey" can see that you all routinely go off topic.

Now snood, given how you got you're a** handed to you by Lash in the discussion about "tar baby," your threat of "locking horns" is funny. Be my guest. And no one is "messing" with edgar, if he wishes not to be "messed" with he need only stop engaging in the discussion, and so far, contrary to his statements, he hasn't shown any inclination of doing so.

edgarblyth, it was you who said I seemed like a "fun guy," or words to that effect, and it is you who has responded and it is you who keeps responding. So, if I am "beating a dead horse," you are too. If my actions are that of a "troll" than what do you call it when someone initiates crude derogatory remarks such as "dickless pussy?" Civil? Non-trollish behavior? Clearly, you are willing to overlook the "troll actions" of your "good buddy." While that is understandable, no one with a hint of intellectual honesty would say that you are acting impartially or consistently with your condemnations. So, maybe you can understand why your words ring hollow to me.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:31 am
when I was a kid we had a guy in our neighborhood who would throw something at you or shoot you with a bb gun while your back was turned and then haul ass home and stand behind the locked screen door with his mother and fling tough talk at you. I'm reminded of this little creep.
0 Replies