I Have A Friend That Is Black...

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 05:22 am
Long story short, I scheduled a family oriented event on Martin Luther King Day. It's a federal holiday, three day weekend for the kids in school, and an opportunity for families to gather for a little fun and games.

So, I get a call from a resident saying their group meets in the clubhouse that day. I say, it's a federal holiday. The clubhouse will be closed except for this event during the early evening.

The resident responds that Martin Luther King Day is not a real holiday, it's an optional day off, there are really only 8 federal holidays and MLK Day is optional, and...

besides, I have a black friend and she said that she does not recognize MLK Day and take the day off because MLK never did anything for her.

Shocked

Anyone else have one of these friends? Did MLK do anything for you? Will you be taking the day off?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,261 • Replies: 214
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 06:51 am
Must be under thirty-five years old.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:03 am
Ha. My first thought was that the "friend" was her housekeeper and was responding to whether or not she would be at work on January 15th.

s(housekeepers can be friends, right?)quinney
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:08 am
Just another reason why I don't have any friends.
Your friend, The Dys.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:24 am
I've lost the capacity for infinite wonder, but I can still be set back on my heels by the number of people in this complex and uncertain world who are sharp and sure about all of their perceptions of reality.

"The best lack all conviction....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:34 am
squinney also neglected to mention that this particular group has literally, and with no exxageration, 4 times more use of the clubhouse than any other group.

I think she should close the clubhouse and have a candle light ceremony next time the anniversary of Tupacs death rolls around .....of course, that's why she is beloved and I'm not.....restraint.... Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:22 am
Do you share clubhouse use with Stephen Colbert?

That conversation sounds like something he would use for the Colbert Report!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:24 am
Martin marking, squinney.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:30 am
I don't remember hearing about MLK being an "optional" federal holiday.

And the "friend" (a housekeeper, huh? That's...funny) was probably more interested in making the days wages than making any kind of telling statement about the relative significance of the day of observance for the one-of-a-kind orator, statesman and clergyman.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:35 am
snood wrote:
I don't remember hearing about MLK being an "optional" federal holiday.

And the "friend" (a housekeeper, huh? That's...funny) was probably more interested in making the days wages than making any kind of telling statement about the relative significance of the day of observance for the one-of-a-kind orator, statesman and clergyman.

you are way too kind snood.... the woman is a chronic bigot whose self interest goes way beyond normal.... I have stated many times that we are all bigoted and prejudiced to a degree but our genuine efforts to overcome our prejudices and self interst are what define us as human beings.... this woman is way past that and has abandoned the effort.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:40 am
There are a lot of businesses and localities that don't recognize MLK day. The Gov. of the State of CT just signed a bill that requires all cities in that state to recognize it. The State of NH just finally recognized it fairly recently.

There isn't any doubt that it is an official Federal holiday but there are a lot of people/placesthat don't celebrate it as one (much like Columbus Day).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:44 am
Well, I knew that there were some holdouts like Arizona and Ronald Reagan (in his time) who resisted it being named as a Federal Holiday, but its news to me that there are places still wrangling over whther its a holiday or not (like Columbus day, huh? You think its controversial on the same visceral level?).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:45 am
Re: I Have A Friend That Is Black...
squinney wrote:
Long story short, I scheduled a family oriented event on Martin Luther King Day. It's a federal holiday, three day weekend for the kids in school, and an opportunity for families to gather for a little fun and games.

So, I get a call from a resident saying their group meets in the clubhouse that day. I say, it's a federal holiday. The clubhouse will be closed except for this event during the early evening.

The resident responds that Martin Luther King Day is not a real holiday, it's an optional day off, there are really only 8 federal holidays and MLK Day is optional, and...

besides, I have a black friend and she said that she does not recognize MLK Day and take the day off because MLK never did anything for her.

Shocked

Anyone else have one of these friends? Did MLK do anything for you? Will you be taking the day off?

There are few "high holy days" in the UU church. MLK Sunday is one of them. On that day, there is no scheduled RE (Sunday school), we do special programming for an inter-generational service. On the Monday, kids are encouraged to use their day off from school in some sort of social action/social justice capacity. It gets pretty much the same billing as Christmas and Yom Kippur.

MLK did something for all of us. My family will take the day off from normal pursuits, and we will celebrate with cake and candles (I can't help it if his birthday and mine fall on the same day Smile )
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:48 am
Funny story. It used to be that Lee Jackson Day was celebrated on the same day as Martin Luther King Day. My friends wanted to buy some booze and the pop show was closed because of the national holiday.

So, they went to Virginia across the state line and the pop shop was closed there as well. When they asked someone why, the answer was: "It's Lee Jackson Day."

One turned to the other and said. " Who is Lee Jackson."

A lot of folks talk about MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech but I much prefer this one:

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

He knew what was in store.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:14 am
MLK B'Day, like Christs B'Day, rubs some folks the wrong way, if somebody has problem with celebrating either or both of those days, go to work, rake the lawn, do whatever. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:36 am
Letty wrote:
Funny story. It used to be that Lee Jackson Day was celebrated on the same day as Martin Luther King Day. My friends wanted to buy some booze and the pop show was closed because of the national holiday.

So, they went to Virginia across the state line and the pop shop was closed there as well. When they asked someone why, the answer was: "It's Lee Jackson Day."

One turned to the other and said. " Who is Lee Jackson."

Shortly after I moved to Chicago, I was in an elevator with a couple of pissed off guys. "I can't believe we're not getting Pulaski Day off!"

I'd never heard of the guy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:43 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the woman is a chronic bigot whose self interest goes way beyond normal.... I have stated many times that we are all bigoted and prejudiced to a degree but our genuine efforts to overcome our prejudices and self interst are what define us as human beings.... this woman is way past that and has abandoned the effort.

Rolling Eyes
white people for ya... sheeeeesh
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:49 am
Well, I think he was only referring to one of 'em.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

not all white people are goofy... I myself am a cool super stud and hung like a bear :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Hee, hee, patio. I wouldn't have know the Count either except Virginia named a city after him.

Hey, wolf lady. Do you know Count Basie? Razz
0 Replies