I Have A Friend That Is Black...

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:50 am
Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:51 am
TMI! TMI! sharing violation!! Ten minutes - penalty box!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:52 am
shewolfn... bring that penaly box right over here baby.... I'll stay in way longer than 10 minutes....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:19 am
HA

you know I like you white folk...

yall pretty entertaining every now and then. Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:21 am
I does my best Miss Missy....
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:30 am
marking
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:00 pm
squinney wrote:
The resident responds that Martin Luther King Day is not a real holiday, it's an optional day off, there are really only 8 federal holidays and MLK Day is optional, and...

besides, I have a black friend and she said that she does not recognize MLK Day and take the day off because MLK never did anything for her.....

.....My first thought was that the "friend" was her housekeeper and was responding to whether or not she would be at work on January 15th.

Ah, so YOU don't have the black friend who doesn't like Martin Luther King and won't celebrate his birthday. It's the white lady who objects to the recognition of Martin Luther King Day who says she has the black friend who doesn't like Martin Luther King and refuses to celebrate his birthday.

I think it is wonderful when Able2Know members bump into each other like this. Squinney and BiPolar, you have just met Foxfyre.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:05 pm
Re: I Have A Friend That Is Black...
squinney wrote:
I scheduled a family oriented event on Martin Luther King Day. It's a federal holiday, three day weekend for the kids in school, and an opportunity for families to gather for a little fun and games.

So, I get a call from a resident saying their group meets in the clubhouse that day. I say, it's a federal holiday. The clubhouse will be closed except for this event during the early evening.

The resident responds that Martin Luther King Day is not a real holiday, it's an optional day off,

Realjohnboy (that's me) is one of the most liberal members on A2K. But I opposed making Martin Luther King's birthday a holiday. I was convinced when the issue was being initially discussed and I am even more convinced now (while acknowledging that the debate is largely over except for who gets to use the clubhouse).

Dr King's birthday joins Columbus Day, Labor Day, Presidents' Day and Veterans' Day in the minor leagues of holidays. Days when most of us go about our daily jobs and people pull on the locked door of the Post Office across the street from my shop and then peer into the dark lobby trying to firgure out why they can't buy stamps.

The cynic in me asks, when will the used card dealerships start having HUGE. REALLY HUGE MARTIN LUTHER KING SALES.

We could have done better.

(BTW, I tripped over 3000 posts. Took me four years; a lot of that time on things like the NFL)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:10 pm
In my world, MLK Day is one of the biggies. Unfortunately, they make me work that day. I would gladly swap Labor Day off for MLK Day.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:29 pm
snood wrote:
Well, I knew that there were some holdouts like Arizona and Ronald Reagan (in his time) who resisted it being named as a Federal Holiday, but its news to me that there are places still wrangling over whther its a holiday or not (like Columbus day, huh? You think its controversial on the same visceral level?).

I don't know how those that oppose MLK day view it so I'm not sure I can answer your question.

I was surprised after I got out of the military and moved up here to MA that many, many employers don't recognize MLK Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day as holidays and schedule a normal workday. How the heck are people supposed to participate in events?

Many of those same businesses DO shut down for "Patriots Day" though - a holiday only recognized by MA and ME. It's just odd...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:42 pm
I had a friend once't, a guy i ran into in the store most evenings--and i thought he was black. But then i found out he was a coal miner, and i saw him on a weekend, after he'd had a shower and was wearing nice clothes.

He was actually a light chocolate brown color . . .
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
Will this finally put a stop to all the handwring & gnashing of teeth about MLK Jr, or will there need to be more tributes?
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11422
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:43 pm
boomerang wrote:
Do you share clubhouse use with Stephen Colbert?

That conversation sounds like something he would use for the Colbert Report!

Oh, that's true! And then PK Winsome would come on. I just love PK! the "black republican" was a great idea to add to the show...Tim Meadows does a great job of it, too. Laughing

Ooh, sorry squinney, that's completely off-topic-- just ignore me....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
The conversation, on her end, was actually about three times longer than I posted, but was basically repeating how it's not a real holiday and she isn't racist or anything, but... And it was less than half way through when I started thinking to myself as I listened "She's gonna say it. I just know it. She really is. OMG, She's gonna say... " and then she did.

I don't know that her "friend" is her housekeeper, it was an assumption on my part since we do have a lady from the Caribbean that cleans homes for several people here. Since she is a recent immigrant, she may feel that way, but she's more enlightened than that. Wonderful lady whom I enjoy on the rare ocassion that she stops by the clubhouse.

Anyway, I have had lots of friends during the course of my life, with many of them just happening to be black, brown, olive, yellowish, red and even white. I credit that to Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and all of the people that marched and raised hell until people (most) opened their eyes. So, I will probably not have cake and candles like some here Cool , but I will take the day off from work, remember MLK, and open the clubhouse for families to gather to play games and enjoy each others company, much as I imagine MLK would like to see us - diversified, and all getting along.

(I'm also anticipating that 1. She'll go to my boss and raise a stink, but he'll likely back me on this, and 2. She and her group will show up during Family Game Night anyways and cause a scene about finding a place to play bridge.)
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 03:55 pm
Yers, it's amazing how people who use that gambit think they are so slick that nobody could possibly see through them.

Wikipedia wrote:

At the White House Rose Garden on November 2, 1983, Reagan signed a bill creating a federal holiday to honor King. It was observed for the first time on January 20, 1986.

On January 17, 2000, for the first time, Martin Luther King Day was officially observed in all 50 U.S. states.[2] ........Overall, in 2006, 31% of employers are giving employees the day off, with 35% of large employers over 1,000 giving time off....

Plus, the banks are closed.

So the complainer is out of luck.

You know your job better than I do, but in that position I would take an active stance in promoting your event, putting up poster on the clubhouse, etc, and making an effort for everyone to know something special was going to happen that day. That way, if she tries to come in expecting to take the place over for bridge, she will look ridiculous, lol. If she comes in and is able to act like she had no idea the event was going to happpen or be that big a deal, she might end up with some sympathy from other residents.

The best defense is a good offense, and all that. Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
MLK hasn't done anything for me DIRECTLY, but he has benefitted me INDIRECTLY by improving our society.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
MLK hasn't done anything for me DIRECTLY, but he has benefitted me INDIRECTLY by improving our society.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:30 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I think she should close the clubhouse and have a candle light ceremony next time the anniversary of Tupacs death rolls around .....

Beyond moronic...sub moronic.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:30 pm
not to split hairs JLN, but if MLK improved society I would consider that a direct benefit,
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:58 pm
Is the clubhouse rented out on other holidays?
0 Replies