0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:19 pm
<sniff>
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:19 pm
Letty wrote:
So, they went to Virginia across the state line and the pop shop was closed there as well. When they asked someone why, the answer was: "It's Lee Jackson Day."

One turned to the other and said. " Who is Lee Jackson."

Umm, who is Lee Jackson, anyway?

Is he some kind of country western singer?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:24 pm
Even Fanny Kemble Butler, who basically tripped over awfulness, but whose diary became important. (My ex wrote a screenplay about her, quite long before PBS, oh, nevermind.) My earning us a living but no savings while he wrote those drafts which weren't produced, and a lot of other years like that, is a good part of why I am surfing duck poop now. I suppose I'd do it again.

I'm fine with MLK day, think his role is central in our times, but no, he wasn't alone.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:26 pm
Yup, Lee Jackson can sing country music and Lee Jackson is one of the baddest NASCAR drivers going around, and around and around,
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:27 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

and besides he started it..

Well that's not really true. I attacked or criticized your words/idea, calling them beyond moronic; it was you who resorted to ad hominem attacks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:29 pm
..and around and around.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:29 pm
Mexica wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

and besides he started it..

Well that's not really true. I attacked or criticized your words/idea, calling them beyond moronic; it was you who resorted to ad hominem attacks.

Oh Jesus...(Pronounced Hay-Soos) a swarthy Brandon. My day is made Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:31 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
..and around and around.

got any dramamine RJB?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:34 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Mexica wrote:

My day is made Laughing

And people say the online chatting is a waste of time. They tend to forget there are those who depend on it for affirmation and companionship.

That's kewl, brah.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:41 pm
Careful Bear, the Mexica used to tear the hearts from their sacrificial victims.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:41 pm
Careful Bear, the Mexica used to tear the hearts from their sacrificial victims.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:51 pm
JLNobody wrote:

LOL

I'm glad you see he is need of help; I'm sure he'll welcome your assistance.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:05 pm
Hmmm....I actually do observe the death of TuPac.

Quite often, and randomly throughout the year.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:09 pm
Lash wrote:
Is the clubhouse rented out on other holidays?

I don't think the clubhouse is actually rented out for anything.

From what I gather, and I hope Squinney corrects me if I am wrong, Squinney works for a housing development which supplies the residents with some quirks for residents' use only-such as the clubhouse, I would guess a pool, and possibly some other things. Part of her job apparently is to schedule the use of the clubhouse for whatever groups of people want to meet. Games Night is probably scheduled most every Monday night, probably because there is enough room on the schedule for everyone, so there was no need to challenge it.

Since Martin Luther King Day falls on a Monday, and about a third of the working adults have the day off and all of the schoolchildren have the day off and it is an official holiday, Squinney decided to schedule an event for that day. The bridge people are taking the position that it is not a real holiday like Memorial Day or Fourth of July, so there was no justification to take their regular bridge game away. Squinney's position is that even though it is not a major holiday in the sense of Christmas or New Year's, both the kids and substantial numbers of adults do have the day off, and events and celebrations designed to promote brotherhood between different groups have become common in recent years, so that justifies the celebration in the clubhouse.

Coupled with the fact that the bridge group doesn't want to be moved aside is the fact that the leader of this group, at least, is probably none too keen on Martin Luther King anyway, and her arguments about it not being a "real" holiday are largely based on resentment of the fact that he was given an official holiday in the first place.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:37 pm
Re: I Have A Friend That Is Black...
realjohnboy wrote:

Dr King's birthday joins Columbus Day, Labor Day, Presidents' Day and Veterans' Day in the minor leagues of holidays. Days when most of us go about our daily jobs and people pull on the locked door of the Post Office across the street from my shop and then peer into the dark lobby trying to firgure out why they can't buy stamps.

I'll go along with you on this point except the part about Labor Day. Oh come on, RJB, Labor Day? It is one of the three big holidays of the summer, banks are closed, virtually all offices are closed, factores are closed, just about everything is closed except for restaurants and retail stores. The beaches are overflowing with people who normally would be working that day taking advantage of the day off. Labor Day is certainly a major holiday any way you look at it.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:55 pm
Although I agree with RealJohnBoy about Martin Luther King Day being a minor holiday, my question is just how much of a major holiday does a day have to be for a real estate management company to schedule a special event for the clubhouse in lieu of the regularly weekly scheduled events there?

St Patrick's Day is not a banking holiday and people don't get it off from work, but if the real estate development company decided to hold a celebration in the clubhouse for St Patrick's Day complete with a corned beef and cabbage buffet, cake with green frosting, green beer and a small band playing Irish music for a couple of hours, would the housing development be better served by that or by the bridge club holding their weekly meeting?

Nobody gets St. Valentine's Day off either but if Squinney decided to schedule an even that evening for the development's schoolkids complete with a DJ playing smoochy songs, free candy and some other planned things for a few hours in the evening, would the development be better served by that or by the bridge club holding their meeting?

How about a costume party for Halloween night? Or an Italian buffet and celebration on Columbus Day? Not major holidays, but that doesn't mean the community wouldn't appreciate having some fun celebrating them.

Would the bridge club woman complain about a celebration of those holidays? I doubt it. If she did, she would realize the rest of the housing development would consider her a complete stick in the mud. But let an event for Martin Luther King be scheduled, and suddenly she starts talking about the how this holiday is not worth enough to hold an event that conflicts with her weekly bridge game.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:55 am
KW - Excellent summary.

I actually will be holding a Valentines Dinner, offering up green beer for St. Patricks, and the adult halloween party is one of the biggest of the year if rated by ounces consumed.

I used to be able to brush off blatant racist comments and contribute it to their being raised in a different time with a limited experience. But, this age group was THERE for the civil rights movement.

I'll let ya know how it goes today.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:58 am
I'm glad someone else used the 'r' word first. I've been accused of being too free with it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:15 am
Gotta call it what it is, Snood.

I bet they don't even realize some of "them" actually live here, too. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies