Republicans branching out to old Dem stronghold.

Ethel2

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:51 pm
Yes sir, Carl Rove is at the wheel of this poor ship. Scary, just scary.......... The Republicans "reaching out" to gays or any minority is simply about getting votes and is an empty gesture. Why do so many believe it is what I'd like to know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:53 pm
The beat goes on, the beat goes on.
Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain.
La de da de de, la de da de da.

Charleston was once the rage, uh huh.
History has turned the page, uh huh.
The miniskirt's the current thing, uh huh.
Tennybopper si our newborn king, uh huh.

And the beat goes on, the beat goes on.

The grocery store's the supermart, uh huh.
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh.
And men still keep on marching off to war.
Electrically they keep a baseball score.

Grandmas sit in chairs and reminisce
Boys keep chasing girls to get a kiss.
The cars keep going faster all the time.
Bums still cry 'Hey buddy, have you got a dime?'

La de da de de, la de da de da
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 10:47 pm
Setanta<

Your "The Beat Goes On" post reminds me of one of my favorite passages in American literature:

Quote:
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter -- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out arms farther . . . . And one fine morning----

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

-- from The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, p. 159, (c)1925,
Charles Scribner's Sons.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 11:56 pm
Quote:
"I very much feel that marriage is a sacrament and that sacrament should extend and can extend to that legal entity of a union between what is traditionally in our Western values been defined as between a man and a woman," Senator Frist, Republican of Tennessee, told ABC's "This Week."
Frist Opposes Gay Marriage

Sacrament? What has that to do with politics?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:10 am
The Republicans "reaching out" to gays or any minority is simply about getting votes and is an empty gesture. Why do so many believe it is what I'd like to know.

I hate to see the Frist fiasco. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. But, I'm still glad the Log Cabins prefer the GOP. The stereotypes are going down. <not without a fight, though>
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:50 am
Sofia wrote:

The gays are demanding entry into the Republican party.

Sophia<

I haven't heard of any gays demanding entry into the Republican party.

The statement you have made here should be accompanied by a link from a reliable source.

Or -- as I suppose -- is the statement just one of your sheer fantasies?

Why should gays -- along with African-Americans -- demand entry into any political party which has tradtionally bullied and excluded them?

Yes, the comments of Sen. Frist will become a fiasco because it's just another example of the intolerance promoted by the GOP. Or, should I have used the word, hatred instead?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 06:36 am
I don't think gays are moving to the Republican Party -- I think the party's doing the moving. There've been gay Republicans since long before the word "gay" was chosen. They just weren't welcome as such except as voting statistics. In the Democratic Party, they didn't have to hide; in the GOP, they did. In my view, it's Republicans, not gays, who should be made to feel ashamed of their identities, but that's a societal matter I'm sure we'll face head on one of these days! What new label do you suppose Republicans -- as in the renaming of WorldCom and Arthur Andersen -- will choose to describe themselves?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:15 am
williamhenry3 wrote:
Within the past hour, c.i., I have heard on CBS Radio News that Sen. Bill Frist, the Senate majority leader from Tennessee, plans to introduce legislation calling for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages. Yes, that's correct, a constitutional amendment!

This isn't the first time a Constitutional Amendemnt has been tried and, most likely, will fail.

"May 22, 2002

Constitutional Amendment Seeks Gay Marriage Ban

By Bob Roehr

They're back...those social conservatives who believe the way to "save" heterosexual marriage from dissolution and divorce is to prevent homosexuals from getting married. And the best way to do that is by passing a law, more specifically an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

That amendment was introduced May 15 as House Joint Resolution 93. It reads in full: "Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor state or federal law, shall be construed to require that marital status or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon unmarried couples or groups."

The lead sponsor is Rep Ronnie Shows, D-Miss., with eight cosponsors, five Republicans, two other Democrats, and an Independent who used to be a Democrat.

"I am convinced that our nation will need to take the extraordinary step of amending the Constitution in order to preserve the legal status of marriage and the family for future generations," said Shows. "These values transcend political boundaries in the same way that they transcend all racial, cultural and religious lines." "

http://archives.windycitymediagroup.com/0outlines/may22w02/amendban.html
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:33 am
fishin.<

Thanks for your information re: a gay marriage ban amendment.

Sophia<

I am still waiting for your answer as to where your "gays are demanding entry into the Republican party" statement was found.

I thought you would have the answer posted by now, but perhaps you are too busy changing avatars again. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:02 am
wh, It's not "hatred," but IGNORANCE. c.i.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:13 am
No, c.i., I will have to respectfully disagree. It is the kind of hatred comparable to that of the Ku Klux Klan which is now out of business thanks to a lawsuit which won all its money.

Please, c.i., never think Republicans are ignorant about gay rights. They are not; they would prefer, though, to have all homosexuals hounded from our midst as unfit to live with.

In my opinion, Republicans also carry a bias against non-Christians.
Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:14 am
Sheesh -- I don't really want to defend Republicans who, in general, have one helluva lot to answer for these days! But from what I see, there are enormous variations within the party with respect to attitudes towards gays. And quite a few Republican individuals would be startled to find anyone who really believes they want "homosexual hounded from their midst..." That said, Republicans of character do have to answer the question: why do you allow redneck, ignernt jerks in your party to continue hogging the mike with unprincipled hate speech? Don't you have principles? (And don't give me that Big Tent speech, please. My ears will wax up.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:28 am
Tartarin
Because the biggest element in their party is presently the religious right. Let's call it the Taliban wing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:32 am
How can you just casually slander the Taliban like that?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:40 am
Sophia<

I haven't heard of any gays demanding entry into the Republican party.
Then, you haven't read the thread.
The statement you have made here should be accompanied by a link from a reliable source.
It was. You should READ.

Or -- as I suppose -- is the statement just one of your sheer fantasies?
See Matt.

Do you refute the existence of the Log Cabin Republicans?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:17 pm
I really prefer responses where the person asked for a link just... gets it.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:08 pm
The Log Cabin Republicans have been around for years, and just like conservative women's groups they remain largely ignored and treated as pariahs by others for espousing views that aren't accepted by the "mainstream" and run contrary to the chosen ends on which these groups have their sights set.

And--despite what some misguided Republicans may think, the only problem I see with the USSC decision on the TX sodomy law is that the USSC agreed to hear the case at all. The USSC should have stayed the hell out of it, since the Constitution is mute on the issue. If some backwards good-ole-boyz in TX want to outlaw rump wrangling, that's their business, and it's the job of the TXSC to determine whether the TX constitution allows such a law, and if it does, it's up to the people of TX to elect more enlightened representatives.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:15 pm
Tartarin wrote:
...why do you allow redneck, ignernt jerks in your party to continue hogging the mike with unprincipled hate speech? Don't you have principles? (And don't give me that Big Tent speech, please. My ears will wax up.)

Tart - Why do you continue to let those who hog the liberal mic drone on that Republicans hate blacks, hate children, hate old people, hate clean air, hate clean water, hate the planet, hate Menudo (well, okay, we do hate Menudo, but who doesn't?),...

I suspect that the media likes to shove the mic in front of the people who are making extreme statements on either side. Perhaps we could be better at remembering that extreme statements rarely reflect the mainstream of any movement (unless they come from Menudo).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:36 pm
double sheesh...me and Tartarin both defending Republicans...

WH...you're indictment is too scattergun and ought not to exclude acknowledging folks within that party who are far more open-minded (on a bunch of issues important to you and I) than that crowd who quickly make the sign of the cross when they see you or I or Tartarin coming. If you read Scrat's phrase as 'demanding INCLUSION AND EQUALITY in the Republican party', then I think you two wouldn't be in much disagreement on that particular point.

Scrat

One more slander of Menudo and you and I are going to be on bad terms.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:36 pm
Scrat

Quote:
And--despite what some misguided Republicans may think, the only problem I see with the USSC decision on the TX sodomy law is that the USSC agreed to hear the case at all. The USSC should have stayed the hell out of it, since the Constitution is mute on the issue.

The constitution is mute on many issues in todays world. Should they stay out of all those issues and be mired in the 18th century. Time marches on and we must march right along with it.
0 Replies