Republicans branching out to old Dem stronghold.

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:21 pm
I don't think this is exactly what Abe had in mind, but the Log Cabin Republicans are gathering steam.

Another old Dem stronghold, no longer.

<picturing the extreme right at the GOP mixer, mingling...> Laughing
Me: thrilled.

(Albany, June 10, 2003) - Today Log Cabin Republicans of New York (LCR/NY) announced the creation of the nation's first Republican-supported gay and lesbian voter outreach program, the Republican Lesbian & Gay Outreach Project (RLGOP). With the support of the New York Republican Party, the initiative aims to improve the image of the GOP within the gay and lesbian community by mobilizing grassroots support, targeting voter registration at parades, festivals and street fairs, enhancing visibility through a coordinated advertising campaign, and facilitating interaction between Republican leaders and the families of gays and lesbians.

Under the inclusive leadership of Governor George Pataki, the New York GOP has achieved success reaching out to all New Yorkers, making historic inroads into traditionally Democratic constituencies such as women and minorities.

"I am proud of our Party's history of inclusiveness and our recent efforts to reach out to the gay community in New York," said State GOP Chairman Sandy Treadwell. "I am pleased to see Log Cabin Republicans working to expand our Party and I'm glad to work closely with Log Cabin Republicans of New York to bring the Republican message to all New Yorkers."

"President Bush and Governor Pataki have both spoken eloquently about their desire for a more inclusive Republican Party," commented Tom Wahl, Jr., Chairman of LCR/NY. "Chairman Treadwell and the New York Republican State Committee continue to heed that call, taking concrete steps to reach out to the estimated five million gay and lesbian Americans who voted in the last election."

Jeff Cook, Executive Director of LCR/NY and the RLGOP remarked, "New York Republicans have long led the nation in building a broader and more inclusive party. We are proud to launch the Republican Lesbian & Gay Outreach Project to bring the Republican message of lower taxes, smaller government, individual liberty, personal responsibility, and equal rights for everyone directly into the homes and lives of gay and lesbian New Yorkers."

----------
It's about time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,657 • Replies: 229
No top replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:33 pm
BS
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:38 pm
Having read mostly Repiblican reactions after the last superior court ruling like "Christianity condemns homosexuality", this seems to be 180° turn.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:39 pm
They're here, they're queer and they're......REPUBLICANS!!!!

YAY!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Having read mostly Repiblican reactions after the last superior court ruling like "Christianity condemns homosexuality", this seems to be 180° turn.

Nah, Walter. The Republicans are a growing, increasingly diverse bunch. You heard from the Uptighties. The middlin' and socially liberal Republicans, like meeself, are thrilled.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:44 pm
More BS.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:45 pm
<Yes, we get it. Butt sex, how mature...>

He he he he..
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:55 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Butt sex, how mature...

Even the U.S. Supreme Court says its okay between two consenting adults in the privacy of their own bedrooms. Just don't lock me up with Sofia, please Shocked
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:57 pm
Oh, no knock on that. I was just being immature about your rejoinder.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:08 am
"Governor Pataki and Chairman Treadwell understand that you build a party by addition and not subtraction and that gays and lesbians are an important part of the formula for victory at the polls," commented Patrick Guerriero, Log Cabin Republicans National Executive Director. "There is no doubt that the success of this effort will be duplicated by state parties across America that want to expand and secure a loyal Republican base."

New York's first openly gay elected official, Republican Peekskill Council- man Bill Schmidt, observed, "This is a bold and exciting step that will do a lot to eradicate negative and unfair stereotypes about Republicans and to break down artificial barriers between Republicans and the gay community."
For more information, please visit www.rlgop.org.
---------------------
YAY!!! Bold and exciting!! Williamhenry--You should join us. You know you want to hang out with me and 25,000 of my gayest, most Republican friends!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:14 am
Er, what exactly is the Republican platform - federally, and in New York State - do you know, Sofia, in relation to homosexual rights?

Given that I understand the party to have a significant influence from far right fundamentalist christians, how likely do you consider it to be that a ruling Republican government would progress gay rights in the long term?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 01:30 am
dlowan wrote:
Er, what exactly is the Republican platform - federally, and in New York State - do you know, Sofia, in relation to homosexual rights?

Given that I understand the party to have a significant influence from far right fundamentalist christians, how likely do you consider it to be that a ruling Republican government would progress gay rights in the long term?

Same question from here.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:32 am
I'm going to apologize to all Republicans and all homosexuals in advance for the biting satire at the link below:

Betty Bowers Asks: Is President Bush a Homo?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:59 am
The 1996 Republican Party platform contains language opposing the "distortion" of civil rights laws "to cover sexual preference." It affirms that "homosexuality is incompatible with military service" and endorses the Defense of Marriage Act to prevent states from being forced to recognize same-sex unions.

Log Cabin officials concede that unless Bush and Thompson agree to remove the offending language in the draft, the conservative platform committee is unlikely to be receptive to any efforts to weaken or remove it.

Andrea Laferty, spokeswoman for the Traditional Values Coalition, would not divulge details from Tuesday's meeting, but told the Associated Press, "The bottom line is the homosexuals want to neuter the Republican platform, and I'm not sure that's going to happen."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:16 am
With all the cynical policies we've seen coming out of the Republican party during the past two decades, I can't imagine anyone would believe that their embrace of diversity comes from the heart! More like a peck on the cheek following by a careful wiping of lips.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:47 am
Homosexuals certainly have a right to endorse the Republican philosophy.

It is a bit like steadying the hand of a person trying to slit your throat -- but it definitely is their right.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:57 am
The new republican slogan " For the queer we are here."
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:51 am
this is great, Sofia, I agree. Anything to get the crazies fighting. And it doesn't take much. It won the election for Clinton, and it could do it again. I wonder what Bush (or I should say Rove) told Ashcroft and Co. about this. Snicker
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:46 am
dlowen-- It is a little behind the times to suggest the far right has 'significant influence' over the GOP. They did during the Reagan administration. Bush has gone against them more than a few times, and said so in speeches. Bush is a Christian, but he doesn't pursue the far right agenda with policy. Obviously, if prominent NY Republicans are working with the Log Cabins, the party is open to an influx of homosexuals.

I'm thinking Bush is glad to see barriers breaking down in the party. Cheney, I'm sure, is glad since his daughter is a lesbian and deserves inclusion in any party she chooses. Not all homosexuals should be crammed into one party. They are three dimensional human beings, and shouldn't be pigeon-holed regarding their fiscal and foreign policy preferences.

I'm GLAD to see the party moving further away from fundamentalist Christianity. We are successfully breaking with that old stereotype.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:47 am
Dream on Sofia....... Newt Gingrich's daughter or sister is lesbian too, but I don't think that predisposed Newt to try to include homosexuals in the Republican party. On the contrary, I think.

Bush is a fundy, just like Ashcroft. Carl Rove has managed to get them to shut up about it so they can win the election and all this "inclusion" is all about deceit for the sole purpose of staying in power to do the work of the "Lord"............
0 Replies