Republicans branching out to old Dem stronghold.

blatham

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:24 am
Tartarin

Yes, you are now obliged. Do we have a timeline on completion? You might want to consider Setanta's age and failing mind. Though he has it right on Lastman, an asshole of biblical proportions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:26 am
Walter

My god...you are a gem. But even this one, though close, ain't right.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:29 am
http://images2.fotki.com/v10/photos/4/42477/170646/courtesy-vi.jpg

this is better
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:34 am
blatham wrote:
You might want to consider Setanta's age and failing mind.

As members of my generation were once wont to say:

Payback is a ************ . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:36 am
That IS an archaism. Very charming touch of the past there.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 07:41 am
The very one, Walter! Down the road from me. I thought it had more black on it. Will check next time I go down there...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 10:15 pm
Excerpt from cool Alan Simpson interview. He is a spokesperson for the RUC--Republican Unity Coalition.

NEWSWEEK: Why did you join the Republican Unity Coalition?One of the RUC's goals is to sideline the influence of religious conservatives in the GOP.
We don't have any concept of sidelining anyone. That's not our intent at all.

What about sidelining their agenda?This doesn't sound like a traditional Republican speakingHow much is the religious right shaping the GOP's agenda?
I would see people at rallies as I campaigned for [the first President] Bush and [Bob] Dole and the second Bush and I would say: "You apparently are part of the Christian right. What do you believe that's so frightening to the rest of us?" They said: "We believe that the educational system is a failure. We think the entertainment industry is debasing America. We feel that the soaps in the afternoons consist of the horniest people that have ever [roamed] the earth scratching at every orifice. And we believe in God." What's wrong with those people? What is the evil of the "Christian right?" They believe in God and they believe in family values. What is so horrific about that?

I'm not judging their values, just asking the extent to which they are influencing the party?
It is always brought up in a negative way. That's the way it is.

What about their disapproval of gays?Are you saying that because they'll back George W. Bush in 2004 whatever happens, he can start reaching out to moderates like those represented by the RUC.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that I think there's less chance this time of a flight of those people from the presidential race on the basis of their "agenda." They know that George W. Bush is listening to them.

Is the GOP's big tent getting smaller?
I don't think so. If you want to go and look at the big tent shrinking, go and look at the Democrats. The fabric is unraveling at the edge of their tent because if they nominate Howard Dean, they can kiss half the Congress goodbye.

The article and complete interview.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:21 am
As I mentioned earlier...

...in every society there are people who will help steady the hand of someone trying to slit his/her throat.

Hey, it is their right to this -- poor, pathetic suckers.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:22 am
Sofia

I have a large poster with your new avatar on it in the patriotic corner of my game room.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:19 am
Re: Our Enlightened Neighbor to the North:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?030707ta_talk_hertzberg

No, not Enlightened. More like normal. Where does that put the US? In the category of underdeveloped country, much the same as label our neighbor to the south. Canada, as Hertzberg points out, is more forgiving and generous towards us... Will we be getting those 21 candles on our birthcake soon do you think?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:10 pm
MSNBC-- GOP gay issues.

An interesting remark in the article...
"Even self-professed liberal, Dr. Howard Dean hasn't come out in favor of same-sex marriages."

Maybe everybody should put their cards on the table with this one. Don't assume all the libs are so pro-same-sex marriage.

They say Dean has been 'studiously' avoiding yea or nay on it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:22 pm
totally agree sofia, on lots of issues
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:56 pm
Yet another reason I love you. Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:45 pm
If that's the only thing Dean doesn't mention on his run for the WH, he still gets my vote. I don't expect perfect; just 180 degrees from GWBush. c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:55 pm
Good point, c.i.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:00 pm
ci-- I don't think any of us agree with 100% of our favored candidates ideas or programs-- I just think all the candidates should be forced to answer some of these more difficult (politically) questions.

I think same-sex marriage should be an equal opportunity political landmine. Let the Dems step on it, as well.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:52 pm
Personally, I don't believe same-sex marriages will be an issue in the 2004 presidential campaign. The Supreme Court's recent ruling in the Texas sodomy case has given the gay community enough validity to last awhile. Those in that community, the Supreme Court ruled, should have the same rights to privacy in their bedrooms as do those in all other "communities."

Yes, the candidates will have questions from reporters regarding same-sex marriages. The knowledgeable candidates will side-step these because they are not really important -- either to gays or to anyone else.

What is important is that each candidate must emphasize that it's time to end the gay witch-hunts which are prevalent throughout the country. The time has come to recognize that gays should be treated with human dignity. They should not be singled out as "queers" or "dykes," because the days of bullying gays should have passed decades ago.

The people on this thread who seem to think the same-sex marriage issue so curious are literally beating a dead horse. Neither you nor the candidates have looked beyond same-sex marriages to the question of same-sex divorces.

Same-sex marriages -- like heterosexual marriages already do -- involve the partners in a series of legal quagmires that begin with the marriage license. Should there be a divorce . . . well, that makes the quagmire thicker and more difficult to get out of.

No, the issue of same-sex marriage -- even with all the "press" including the Newsweek covers -- will not shadow the election of 2004. It is an issue about which the homosexual community itself is divided upon.

The issue of treating all Americans, indeed all people, with dignity and respect will be the larger issue for each candidate to address in his/her own way. Those muttering te-he-he under their breaths regarding same-sex marriages will have to save their pitiful attempts at demoralizing homosexuals for another election.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:04 pm
williamhenry--I think you made some points about decent treatment for everyone, but think you missed BIG on thinking the right to marriage isn't important to the vast majority of the gay community.

And, gay groups are gearing up to make it a known issue in the campaign. They probably won't get the press they would like during the heat of the campaign--but I bet it shows up in a debate--and the surviving candidates will have to answer to it.

I thought your 'divorce' conversation was a little odd. Gay peeps should have the right to marry and divorce like the rest of us.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:51 am
You gotta admit, seeing some really flaming couples on "Divorce Court" arguing over throw pillows would make damn entertaining afternoon tv........ Razz
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:59 am
Litmus-test questions are depressing, not to mention pretty boring. If they marked the beginning of a discussion, that would be fine. But they most commonly, in present discourse, mark the end of any discussion.
0 Replies