Suddenly People Get It?

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:58 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
squinney wrote:
So, now that the evil dictator Saddam has been dealt with, can we finally go get Osama and deal with avenging the deaths of OUR citizens?

We have been after him. Remember how long it took us to catch the Unibomber? You must think this stuff is easy to do. Stop watching movies, it takes more then 2hrs to save the world and get the bad guy.

who are you lecturing? You didn't even have what it takes to off one prick...... Laughing

Correction: He didn'thave the opportunity to off one prick.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:06 pm
Re: Suddenly People Get It?
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I just saw a news bleep on CNN saying that the execution of Saddam is now shown to be an act of pure revenge.

WELL NO ****!!!!!!

He reaped what he sowed and the world is less one dickhead but this was a foregone conclusion the minute bush took office, and the people who hated Saddam for both legitimate and non legitimate reasons have extracted their revenge. That was the mission.

wise up.

No, it proves that it was an act of revenge for some of the individuals participating in the execution. But if many Iraqis feel some sense of revenge at his execution, is this not actually warranted by the extraordinary cruelty with which he ruled his country?

As for Mr. Bush, the invasion was undertaken to preclude the possibility that someday soon Hussein would have nuclear and/or bioweapons, which might easily have turned into an immense tragedy for mankind.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:18 pm
Re: Suddenly People Get It?
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I just saw a news bleep on CNN saying that the execution of Saddam is now shown to be an act of pure revenge.

WELL NO ****!!!!!!

He reaped what he sowed and the world is less one dickhead but this was a foregone conclusion the minute bush took office, and the people who hated Saddam for both legitimate and non legitimate reasons have extracted their revenge. That was the mission.

wise up.

No, it proves that it was an act of revenge for some of the individuals participating in the execution. But if many Iraqis feel some sense of revenge at his execution, is this not actually warranted by the extraordinary cruelty with which he ruled his country?

As for Mr. Bush, the invasion was undertaken to preclude the possibility that someday soon Hussein would have nuclear and/or bioweapons, which might easily have turned into an immense tragedy for mankind.

have a cracker brandon. have you thought of changing you forum name to Polly?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:32 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Frank is one of the few libs on A2K I would like to sit and share a beer with. He doesn't pretend and he doesn't put on the haughty airs many of his brethren do.

Hear, hear. (He's a leftist even though he won't admit it.)

In the minds (term used loosely) of conservatives...anyone not in lock step with their kneejerk conservative reactions...is a leftist or a liberal. Fact is, one does not have to be either to see American conservatism for the cesspool that it is.

Quote:
Frank wrote:
You American conservatives are a pathetic lot! You've been on the wrong side of damn near every important issue this country has ever faced...and you have shown no improvement over the years.

I've heard that somewhere before.

I may have mentioned it before.

Quote:
Frank, stick around this time, okay?

It's not usually my call! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:45 pm
Hey, Brandon9000, I disagree with "As for Mr. Bush, the invasion was undertaken to preclude the possibility that someday soon Hussein would have nuclear and/or bioweapons, which might easily have turned into an immense tragedy for mankind." I don't have the world's best memory, but as I remember it, the invasion was because the coalition guys belived that Hussein already had those weapons and was hiding them from the UN inspectors. Am I wrong?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:21 pm
Brandon is flexible in his rationalizations for the war, Vinny.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:35 pm
Dartagnan wrote:
Brandon is flexible in his rationalizations for the war, Vinny.

As are most Republicans and conservatives.

But with the moron at the helm...and the group pulling his strings...I can understand why.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:51 pm
Vinny Z wrote:
Hey, Brandon9000, I disagree with "As for Mr. Bush, the invasion was undertaken to preclude the possibility that someday soon Hussein would have nuclear and/or bioweapons, which might easily have turned into an immense tragedy for mankind." I don't have the world's best memory, but as I remember it, the invasion was because the coalition guys belived that Hussein already had those weapons and was hiding them from the UN inspectors. Am I wrong?

It was because it was believed that it was likely that he had active but hidden development programs. At least this is the reason why Iraq should have been invaded based on what was known then. Had it been true and had we not invaded, in a few years we might have seen a WMD 9/11 (no Iraq wasn't behind 9/11) either here or elsewhere. Iraq might have attempted again to annex other middle eastern countries, but this time with the threat of or the use of WMD. Had Iaq been continuing to hide its nuke and/or bioweapon development programs, and had it been allowed to bring those programs to fruition, the consequences might have been immense.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:58 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
It was because it was believed that it was likely that he had active but hidden development programs.

That's not what the President said, Brandon.

He clearly stated that "our mission is clear, to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, to end Saddam Hussein's support for terrorism, and to free the Iraqi people."

Unless I'm really mistaken, in order to disarm somebody of WMD, he must be in possession of WMD, right? So the reason for the invasion was that Iraq allegedly was in possession of WMD, not due to the possibility that Iraq had active but hidden development programmes.

Try to stick to the truth, Brandon.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:08 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
It was because it was believed that it was likely that he had active but hidden development programs.

That's not what the President said, Brandon.

He clearly stated that "our mission is clear, to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, to end Saddam Hussein's support for terrorism, and to free the Iraqi people."

Unless I'm really mistaken, in order to disarm somebody of WMD, he must be in possession of WMD, right? So the reason for the invasion was that Iraq allegedly was in possession of WMD, not due to the possibility that Iraq had active but hidden development programmes.

Try to stick to the truth, Brandon.

Many people have asked how close Saddam Hussein is to developing a nuclear weapon. Well, we don't know exactlyand that's the problem.

-- George Bush, Cincinnati, Ohio, Oct. 8, 2002.

Anyway, no matter what the president did or did not say, I have outlined what were the proper reasons to invade Iraq.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:19 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Many people have asked how close Saddam Hussein is todeveloping a nuclear weapon. Well, we don't know exactlyand that's the problem.

Cherrypicking, aren't we? Do you think that presenting all the quotes that left some doubt about Iraqi WMDs while ignoring all those where either Bush or other government officials clearly stated that they knew that Iraq was in possession of WMD makes a good case for your very personal theory about the reasons for the war?

Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyway, no matter what the president did or did not say, I have outlined what were the proper reasons to invade Iraq.

Have I mentioned the words "very personal theory" already? Well, let me do so again: this is nothing but your very personal theory about the reasons for the war. It is in no way supported by the collective speeches, quotes and interviews from the Bush administration.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:27 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Many people have asked how close Saddam Hussein is todeveloping a nuclear weapon. Well, we don't know exactlyand that's the problem.

Cherrypicking, aren't we? Do you think that presenting all the quotes that left some doubt about Iraqi WMDs while ignoring all those where either Bush or other government officials clearly stated that they knew that Iraq was in possession of WMD makes a good case for your very personal theory about the reasons for the war?

Brandon9000 wrote:

Have I mentioned the words "very personal theory" already? Well, let me do so again: this is nothing but your very personal theory about the reasons for the war. It is in no way supported by the collective speeches, quotes and interviews from the Bush administration.

I'm cherry picking President Bush quotes about the same way that you are. I think that he clearly indicated that Iraq had to be stopped before it developed an arsenal of really serious WMD.

As for my stated reasons why the invasion of Iraq was necessary being "very personal," that's exactly correct. It sounds like you don't believe tht posters on the Politics forum have a right to give their opinions, when, in fact, that's one of the purposes of the forum. Indeed, I have, just as you say, stated my opinion as to why the invasion of Iraq was the correct decision based on what was known then. If you want to dispute my opinion, then you must first address it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:44 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I'm cherry picking President Bush quotes about the same way that you are.

Yep, but contrary to you, I'm not propagating a specific theory as to why the Bush administration decided to invade a souvereign nation.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I think that he clearly indicated that Iraq had to be stopped before it developed an arsenal of really serious WMD.

I think he and other administration officials also clearly indicated that Iraq was already in possession of really serious WMD.

The problem for your very personal theory is that some of the reasons Bush gave for the invasion of Iraq clearly contradict some other reasons Bush gave for the invasion of Iraq.

Brandon9000 wrote:
As for my stated reasons why the invasion of Iraq was necessary being "very personal," that's exactly correct.

I'm glad to see that we are in agreement. Seriously.

Brandon9000 wrote:
It sounds like you don't believe tht posters on the Politics forum have a right to give their opinions, when, in fact, that's one of the purposes of the forum.

No, I absolutely believe that posters have a right to give their opinions, as ridiculous and baseless as some of them occasionally seem to be.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Indeed, I have, just as you say, stated my opinion as to why the invasion of Iraq was the correct decision based on what was known then.

Actually, you should amend that to "was known be me then". Otherwise you're passing it off as ex cathedra, and not merely as your very personal theory.

Brandon9000 wrote:
If you want to dispute my opinion, then you must first address it.

I don't want to dispute your opinion. That would be quite pointless. I merely wanted you to acknowledge that your statements about the reasons the Bush administration had for going to war cannot be reliably backed up by the sum of statements from the Bush administration prior to the invasion.

You did that, and I'm happy we agree on that matter.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:55 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Indeed, I have, just as you say, stated my opinion as to why the invasion of Iraq was the correct decision based on what was known then.

Actually, you should amend that to "was known be me then". Otherwise you're passing it off as ex cathedra, and not merely as your very personal theory.

No, I am giving my opinion as to why the invasion of Iraq was the correct decision based on what was known by the US government then. Specifically, that there was uncertainty about the status of Iraq's WMD development efforts, plus the fact that Iraq had often obstructed inspectors, which implies that there is something to hide.

old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you want to dispute my opinion, then you must first address it.

I don't want to dispute your opinion. That would be quite pointless. I merely wanted you to acknowledge that your statements about the reasons the Bush administration had for going to war cannot be reliably backed up by the sum of statements from the Bush administration prior to the invasion.

You did that, and I'm happy we agree on that matter.

1. I acknowledged no such thing. The president made different statements about Iraq's WMD status at different times. He certainly never claimed that Iraq already did have nuclear weapons.
2. I assert that you don't want to disputemy opinion as to why the invasion was justified simply because you cannot.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:11 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
No, I am giving my opinion as to why the invasion of Iraq was the correct decision based on what was known by the US government then.

Well, I would certainly be interested in how you know what was known by the US government prior to the invasion, Brandon.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Specifically, that there was uncertainty about the status of Iraq's WMD development efforts, plus the fact that Iraq had often obstructed inspectors, which implies that there is something to hide.

You're saying that there was uncertainty about the status of Iraq's WMD. Maybe you can help me and point out how that uncertainty is reflected in this quote here about Iraq's WMD:

Quote:
"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south, and north somewhat....I would also add, we saw from the air that there were dozens of trucks that went into that facility after the existence of it became public in the press and they moved things out. They dispersed them and took them away."

Donald Rumsfeld, March 30, 2003

Brandon9000 wrote:
1. I acknowledged no such thing. The president made different statements about Iraq's WMD status at different times. He certainly never claimed that Iraq already did have nuclear weapons.

Nuclear? When did I say nuclear? When did you? Hm?

Brandon9000 wrote:
2. I assert that you don't want to disputemy opinion as to why the invasion was justified simply because you cannot.

No, I don't want to dispute your opinion, because it has no merit. History went right by your very personal theory about why Iraq should have been invaded and left you behind in the dust.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:24 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
No, I am giving my opinion as to why the invasion of Iraq was the correct decision based on what was known by the US government then.

Well, I would certainly be interested in how you know what was known by the US government prior to the invasion, Brandon.

I answer that question in the very next quotation from me. I only need to know this, no one in the US government could really say for sure whether he had active development programs or had abandoned them. Also, it was known that Iraq had sometimes tried to obstruct inspectors. Certainly the US government knew these two things.

old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Specifically, that there was uncertainty about the status of Iraq's WMD development efforts, plus the fact that Iraq had often obstructed inspectors, which implies that there is something to hide.

You're saying that there was uncertainty about the status of Iraq's WMD. Maybe you can help me and point out how that uncertainty is reflected in this quote here about Iraq's WMD:

Quote:
"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south, and north somewhat....I would also add, we saw from the air that there were dozens of trucks that went into that facility after the existence of it became public in the press and they moved things out. They dispersed them and took them away."

Donald Rumsfeld, March 30, 2003

It's not, but it's reflected in the quotation by president Bush which I gave above. I thought you were reading my posts.

old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Nuclear? When did I say nuclear? When did you? Hm?

You disputed my statement that the president referred to the likelihood that WMD were under development, stating that he had referred only to the certainty of WMD.

old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No, I don't want to dispute your opinion, because it has no merit. History went right by your very personal theory about why Iraq should have been invaded and left you behind in the dust.

So, your argument, basically, is that you don't want to dispute my personal justification of the invasion of Iraq, because it has no merit. Well, it certainly is easier to win debates by merely stating that your opponent is wrong, than by having to counter his actual arguments. I assert that you don't dispute my opinion about the correctness of the invasion only because you cannot.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:29 pm
Quote:
Well, it certainly is easier to win debates by merely stating that your opponent is wrong, than by having to counter his actual arguments.

They've been proven wrong long ago.

It would be official if you weren't to cowardly to be judged.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:38 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Well, it certainly is easier to win debates by merely stating that your opponent is wrong, than by having to counter his actual arguments.

Cycloptichorn

Please provide a link to a post in which my theory about the invasion was disproven, and explain how the text of the post constitutes a disproof, rather than merely an opinion or an argument in progress.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:43 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Please provide a link to a post in which my theory about the invasion was disproven, and explain how the text of the post constitutes a disproof, rather than merely an opinion or an argument in progress.

I think instead, I will ridicule you.

Laughing Drunk Shocked

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:41 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, your argument, basically, is that you don't want to dispute my personal justification of the invasion of Iraq, because it has no merit.

I don't want to dispute your very personal theory about how the invasion of Iraq was perfectly justified based on the danger Iraq's potential WMD would have posed to the United States at some point in the future.

Likewise, I wouldn't dispute somebody's very personal theory about how the invasion of Poland was perfectly justified based on the fact that the German people needed living space in the East.
0 Replies