The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:00 am
Not just for films you enjoyed,but also for films you hated or went over your head,or whatever............

Due to an expected quiet night at work,I slapped into the portable,the multi-Oscar winner,Scent Of A Woman.
This film,storywise,has no surprises at all.The ending,after nearly two and a half hours,is too Hollywood.Pacino got the Best Actor In A Leading Role Oscar( "about time to" said most ) for his portrayal of an overbearing,blind retired Army officer who hires a young guide for a special trip to The Big Apple.
I regard Pacino's performance in "Scent" as one of the best acting lessons that any budding thespian could watch.He carries the film.Everybody else is competant or just along for the ride.
I love watching this master of his craft do his stuff.The tango in the restaurant is pretty cool to.
For IMDB info see Scent Of A Woman
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 229 • Views: 263,966 • Replies: 3,188

kermit

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:14 pm
I don't know for whatever reason I never bought that Pacino performance as much as everyone else. Seemed kind of goofy.

The last DVD I watched was United 93, and I thought it was amazing even though it hurt to watch in a way.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:44 pm
I was watching Turner Classic Fims the other day. I don't recall the movie but it sucked so bad I changed the channel.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:34 pm
A few days ago I saw 'Thirty-Two-Short-Films-About-Glenn-Gould', a bizarre and wonderful mosaic of the pianio genius.
http://www.amazon.ca/Thirty-Two-Short-Films-About-Glenn/dp/B0000544LY
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:10 pm
I watched "The Fisher King" with Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges two nights ago. Love the late Michael Jeter's performance as the cabaret singer.

"Why can't I be Katherine Hepburn... like in "Summertime"?" Laughing

As far as Pacino:
Favorite Al Pacino Performance
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:22 pm
The last movie I saw in its entirety was Love, Actually, last week. Just today I was channel surfing and, though I didn't sit through the whole thing, I watched bits and pieces (so to speak...) of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. (That's the film whose poster is memorably modelled after the The Breakfast Club's.)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:27 pm
The man from Laramie

http://www.bonanzacreekranch.com/manfromlaramie.jpg
cyphercat

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:17 pm
Da Vinci Code, just last night. I wasn't expecting much based on the reviews, but I thought it was pretty good.

Night before that it was "Prarie Home Companion," which I really, really enjoyed. Garrison Kiellor was wonderful, and so were John C. Reilly and Woody Harrelson. Their "bad jokes" song was a crack-up. Laughing
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:19 am
NickFun wrote:
I was watching Turner Classic Fims the other day. I don't recall the movie but it sucked so bad I changed the channel.

If I didn't know any better,I would have sworn that post came from gustavratzenhofer ( I love that kind of humour ).Anyway,thanks for your time.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:25 am
Amigo wrote:
The man from Laramie

http://www.bonanzacreekranch.com/manfromlaramie.jpg

Confrats on your good taste, Amigo! That's classic James Stewart.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:40 am
The Fisherking is fantastic!!

I saw Perfume last night at the cinema, one word-silly.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:20 am
Dr Strangelove
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room"
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:06 am
My husband and I watched a Special Edition of Tombstone last night, on On Demand, to see the additional nine minutes not shown on the dvd.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:16 am
material girl wrote:
The Fisherking is fantastic!!

I saw Perfume last night at the cinema, one word-silly.

Loved the Fisher King too, it is my no 2 Robin Williams flick after Awakenings and before What Dreams may come. I am looking forward to seeing Perfume, since the novel was so great. I am curious what they did with it, especially how they visualised scent.

I saw some 15 DVDs last wekend, but isn't it funny I cannot remember the the last one?
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:37 pm
Laughing Can you remember any of them? That's not encouraging.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:07 pm
The original Wicker Man last night.... Rolling Eyes

The scene when they're dragging the sergeant toward the Wicker Man, that's classic, though. <snork> Seeing a young Christopher Lee was fun too.
cyphercat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:09 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing Perfume, since the novel was so great. I am curious what they did with it, especially how they visualised scent.

I really enjoyed that book too, Paaskynen; I just saw a trailer for the movie a night or two ago and was very interested. Wondering the same thing, as the descriptions of scent were so much a part of the book.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:10 pm
I saw Perfume last week-end. I liked it. It was very strange and I thought, very beautifully made. I liked the story quality of the narration and the cinemetography. The entire production had this dream-like, almost fairy-tale quality to it that I enjoyed although that's exactly what the person I saw it with didn't like about it.

I enjoyed the performances, especially the lead character, played by an actor I'd never seen before, and Dustin Hoffman's.
I think it's worth the 6 pounds or 10 dollars (or equivalent) to see it - but it's definitely not a mainstream, action packed mystery or thriller, so don't go expecting that.

I haven't read the book, but the movie has inspired me to.
Paaskynen

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:46 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Laughing Can you remember any of them? That's not encouraging.

Seriously, you're quite right, my memory for names is weak. I wonder if I should start keeping a diary. Out of the 15, the ones I remember, in no particular order:
- Heat (1995)
- The Grey Zone (2001), depressing Auschwitz drama
- Untergang, Der (2004, The Downfall), Hitler's last weeks, great film
- The Touch (2002), Chinese adventure story à la Lara Croft
- Nabbeun namja (2001, Bad Guy) (OH, now I remember, this was the last one I saw! Very Happy ), Korean, violence and prostitution
- The Master of Disguise (2002), awfully unfunny comedy
- Maa on syntinen laulu (1973, The Earth Is a Sinful Song), naturalistic film about the poor inhabitants of Lapland, which has lost its appeal to the modern public, because they cannot imagine the abject poverty their (grand)parents grew up in.
- The Final Cut (2004)
- The Fighting Temptations (2003), my spouse likes Beyoncé
- Frostbiten (2006), funny Swedish vampire flick set in Lapland
- Babas bilar (2006), Swedish gangster comedy set in Lapland

Well, that still leaves four titles unaccounted for...
Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:09 am
I watched an obscure (at least to me) German film on cable called Schultze Gets the Blues. It was a small, touching, and kind of charming movie. A little sad, too.

I also caught up with the Ring trilogy on cable. I was disappointed. C'est la vie.