227

The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

2  
Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 10:31 am
@jcboy,
Damn jcboy, you are more handsome than ever!

How's life?
jcboy

2  
Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:06 am
@chai2,
Laughing hehe I'm getting old. Life is good and busy. Been working from home for a while now, kids are home schooled, the Rican is working in different hospitals, mostly Los Angeles County, sometimes 12 hour shifts! He's only had one day off since March! He said he's never seen so much death! they lose a patient everyday! Crying or Very sad

2  
Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:33 am
@jcboy,
You’ve got a good man there.

Somebody up there must like you.
jcboy

3  
Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:22 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You’ve got a good man there.

Somebody up there must like you.

I may keep him around until he turns 40 then trade him in for two twenty year olds Cool

jcboy

2  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:17 am
Like many people, I only finally watched Avatar: The Last Airbender 12 years after it ended because it's conveniently on Netflix now. It was enjoyable. The finale was obviously predictable BUT still more satisfying than the Game of Thrones finale. I know, that's a very low bar. And any cartoon with Mark Hamill in it is worth watching.

2  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:35 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

And any cartoon with Mark Hamill in it is worth watching.

He was very good as one of the rival vampires in What we do in the Shadows, excellent comedy, both the film and series.

https://i0.wp.com/nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/05/mark-hamill-star-wars-shadows-inset-1.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&ssl=1

2  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 08:38 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Like many people, I only finally watched Avatar: The Last Airbender 12 years after it ended because it's conveniently on Netflix now. It was enjoyable.

I finally got around to experience the mindbreaking classic anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995-1996) thanks to Netflix. It deconstructs the mech genre. Very enjoyable. It's final two episodes are infamous because the studio pretty much ran out of money for the production and the last two episodes were low budget, intentionally over pretentious as a compromise.

A year after the last episode, the studio did a soft reboot on the final two episodes and produced Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (1997). Super ambitious and even a far more trippy, philosophical treaty with a much darker ending. At least the production values were 1000% better than the series final two episodes.
(Also featured on Netflix)

I watched the series in its original Japanese but Netflix did notably redo the English dub which wasn't reportedly terrible but could use improvement (which the new dub succeeded at).

Unlike the initial lament, Netflix is doing very good to great things with anime.

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 09:22 am

1  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 09:50 am
@InfraBlue,
Thanks I was on the computer during the Kid’s lunch break and didn’t have time to resize.

On an iPad now.

1  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 09:51 am
@InfraBlue,
What we do in the shadows is very funny. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

1  
Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 09:08 pm
Just watched the movie, "SUGIHARA." It's about the Japanese Schindler who saved over 6,000 Jews during WWII. It's about Chiune Sempo Sugihara, a diplomat stationed in Lithuania. He was denied authorizing visa's to Jews escaping Germans from his home office in Tokyo, but he did so because he said, he was not responsible to his government, but to god. It's a good true story for anyone interested about WWII, and what happened to the Jews during that period in Europe. Our son gave me the CD for my birthday gift. OPINION: I'm glad to have worked for Florsheim Shoe Company in the late 1960's and 1970's, because of the opportunities they afforded me at a time minorities had difficulty breaking the glass ceiling. From Google Search. What evidence is there for the existence of a glass ceiling?
Through these audits statistical evidence has been found indicating that the glass ceiling does exist and highly effects women and minorities. In more recent years studies have shown that the percentage of women in corporate office positions has risen.Nov 25, 2013

The Glass Ceiling - Sites at Penn State

olive55

0  
Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 04:57 am
I recently watched the movie Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. The previous film, The Last Jedi, left a deeply positive impression on me. "Skywalker: Rise", unfortunately, turned out not so cool, but rather the opposite ... The film cannot boast of audience versatility, that is, it is focused purely on fans who remember in detail what happened in the previous parts. Before, Star Wars was better - that's a fact. It seems that Disney is saving on everything - on actors, special effects, screenwriters and so on. If earlier SW set a trend in science fiction, now they are trailing behind. I state with regret that the new Star Wars is the minimum of a fantastic adventure and the maximum of a cheap melodrama.

Sammy00

0  
Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 04:52 am
@barrythemod,
Watched 'Parasite' recently, and although I haven't actually seen any of the films it beat out for best picture I think it's probably deserved. I've loved all of Bong Joon-Ho's prior films for their uniqueness and absurdism and this was no exception. The best I've heard it described is as a more perfect version of Snowpiercer. Highly recommended.

coluber2001

1  
Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 08:24 am
izzythepush wrote:

I haven't seen this particular movie by Taika Waititi, but there is a similar, hilarious TV series by him called Wellington Paranormal, about officers Minogue and O'Leary responding in a low-key manner to paranormal beings in Wellington.

Of course Taika Waititi is best known for his excellent movie, Jojo Rabbit.

1  
Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 08:31 am
@coluber2001,
Wellington Paranormal is a spin off. The two police officers first appear in the film.

It is very good, unfortunately the police chief isn't in the film.

The TV series is set in New York and has three series with a fourth in the making.

1  
Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 09:27 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

It's also a tv series. What We Do in the Shadows
But neither the movie nor the tv series can really be considered horror.

1  
Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 10:37 am
It's very good. Matt Berry is excellent as he is in Toast of London and currently Toast of Tinseltown.