The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:22 am
Mon Oncle by Jaques Tati was on last night and I had forgotten how much I loved his movies when I was 10 and my dad would take me to the arts cinema for the subtitled flicks.
Poking gentle fun at modern French society with wry irony and clever slapstick.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 12:26 pm
@glitterbag,
I have seen Patton's grave on one of my trips to Europe.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 07:57 am
Last movie was Saw II. A relic from 2005, great film.
Saw II is a best of sequels, better than The Empire Strikes Back. I wouldn't compare Saw II to the theatrical H6, but it is an elite sequel.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 02:50 pm
George Miller's Fury Road.

So overblown, it was actually quite funny in places.

Not sure if that was the intent, though. ;-)
panzade

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:16 pm
@Builder,
I believe that was the intent.
Did you know he was a surgeon before he became a director?
Builder

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:54 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Did you know he was a surgeon before he became a director?

No, I didn't.

He's come a long way from the very low-budget beginning. If you can remember the "Toe-cutter" from that first Mad Max (The Road Warrior), I had a few beers with him one evening.

He was saying that many of the cast were stuntmen, and when one of them got his legs broken in a stunt, he was put on the job as camera operator on the bonnet of a car.

I don't think the series has found that raw low-budget feel again. My opine only, though.
panzade

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:18 am
@Builder,
His one hour interview on our National Public Radio was fascinating.

Although Australian cinema remains in the shadow of Hollywood, it keeps churning out fantastic films.
Builder

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 04:02 pm
@panzade,
I'll bookmark it to read after work.

I had a short career as a film-maker. Part of my "training" was to watch every Aussie film I could get my hands on. There's some real turkeys out there, but some gems as well.

Favourite in the low-budget mix was "Last Train to Freo". Three cameras, shot almost exclusively in one moving train carriage, and seven characters.

About as Aussie as it gets for in-your-face tension.

Review here.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 10:10 am
This past Saturday night, The City College Channel ran The 39 Steps. Still quite enjoyable.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 08:11 pm
@Sturgis,
I watched the first half of The Magnificent Seven, but fell asleep. Luckily it's being shown again tonight on Maryland Public Television.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 09:02 pm
I saw two movies on pay per view over the last two days. The first movie I saw was X-Men Apocalypse. The movie was nothing special. It was okay.

The second movie I saw was Captain America Civil War. That was a very good movie. I really enjoyed watching this movie.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 11:26 am
@Real Music,
Last night I watched Judgement at Nuremberg. Dear God it's still a heart stopping movie. It's impossible for me to watch the actual film from the concentration camps following the liberation without sobbing. It's horrific in its scope and in the banality of routine.
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:54 pm
@glitterbag,
I watched "Destination Moon" a 1950's saga of what they thought a moon landing was like.
one stage rocket
telephone pole ladder from the hatch to the ground withan Al extension ladder they haqd to carry around

Space suits were color coded (pink silver and blue), boots had big circular magnets on the bottom

when they talked with earth the voices were like everyone on both ends was in the same room.

there were all sorts of skull formations in th craters

corny but fun
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 05:10 pm
@glitterbag,
On a tour in Nuremberg many decades ago, our tour including looking at the court house. Also saw that movie on tv not too long ago, and enjoyed it tremendously. Baldwin was very good in that movie.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 05:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Today?

The RiffTrax treatments of Over the Top (1987) and Top Gun (1986).

The MST3k episode of Revenge of the Creature. Has the distinction Clint Easton's first appearance in movies.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 01:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI, do mean Baldwin???? The film had a ton of powerhouse actors, Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Marlene Dietrich, the supremely handsome Maximillian Schell, Montgomery Cliff, Richard Widmark and Judy Garland who was heart breaking. I bet you said Baldwin but were thinking of another actor. Even a very young William Shatner was in the film. This film opened in 1961, the actual trial ended in 1949, such a short time after the end of the War in Europe. I still think it was gut wrenching. I know that evil exists in the world, but this film just laid it out for everyone, it's hard to watch .
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 02:31 am
@tsarstepan,
well, I taped MST3K (which is being shown on COMET TV, a cable network service of NBC). I watched "Teen Agers From Outer Space" and the"Invasion of the Giant Leeches".
SOmetimes more is not better. I got it with the first movie. (No matter how idiotic the Riff tracking was, it got tired with 2 really dumb movies back to back). Its the original MST3K (I guess they DID archive it)
0 Replies

Joey Albinson

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 06:41 am
@barrythemod,
I watched Speed with my 16-year-old daughter. She enjoyed the movie.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 03:45 pm
I finally saw Moonlight and I was genuinely surprised and sort of touched that it turned out to be a love story in the end. I don't know why but I expected a gay version of Precious. I expected to be depressed. It was actually kind of healing.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:22 pm
Last night I saw Within The Whirlwind on The City College Channel. Based on the book of the same name, it's an autobiographical portrait of Russian poet/author (Y)Evegenia Ginsberg (sometimes Anglicized as Eugenia), and her time in a soviet Gulag. Quite gripping.
0 Replies