The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

snood

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2022 08:04 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'm not mocking Will Smith for the temporary conniption on stage, but it was not a smart move on his part. However, it's still an activity that occurred during an entertainment event, and I'm never really sure if what we see is real or made up.

“It wasn’t a smart move” Whoa, slow down Captain Obvious.

The notion that Smith or Rock would participate in the staging of this to… what? enhance ratings? Further their careers?
It’s a notion that I’ve seen getting mentioned several places lately.

It’s a ******* stupid notion. Smith was at a high point in his career, winning his first ever Oscar. Rock was doing a coveted appearance as a presenter. To think they would blow that up for several months of being dissected and hated in tabloids - Smith being vilified as a fake nice guy and a crazy person, and Rock getting dragged as a pussy who won’t fight back - it’s just beyond ridiculous.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2022 08:28 am
@snood,
Hang on a mo!!!!! "slow down Captain Obvious"????? Really? Smith deserved the Oscar, and I thought Chris Rock was terrific.

I try religiously to avoid showbiz gossip or to make assumptions about who ever the performers are............

I'm not judging any of them, but it still wasn't a good idea to get up and slap the host. We shouldn't even still be talking about this, it was an unwise decision but it's past.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2022 08:31 am
Mel Gibson seems to be doing alright.

According to imdb he's in six films this year alone.

I don't know if he's up for an Oscar, but he seems to be getting plenty of work.

What he did was far worse than punching Chris Rock and he seems to have been forgiven.
snood

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2022 09:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Mel Gibson seems to be doing alright.

According to imdb he's in six films this year alone.

I don't know if he's up for an Oscar, but he seems to be getting plenty of work.

What he did was far worse than punching Chris Rock and he seems to have been forgiven.

I think I might write a Medium piece about how selectively the public seems to ration out their forgiveness.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2022 09:24 am
@snood,
When I thought of disgraced film stars he was top of the list.
snood

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2022 09:46 am
@izzythepush,
And Gibson has gotten constant work
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2022 10:21 am
@snood,
He has I was suprised to see how much he got this year alone.

The Oscars have always been a bit iffy, the judging panel not always made up of the best people.

Those are the ones he's pissed off, spoiling a nice award ceremony like that, after they've done all that work.

These people have huge egos and bear grudges.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 01:54 pm
The Answer Man (2009)

The Jeff Daniels character is famous for writing books about his conversations with God. It turns out all the answers came from his own head, wisdom, but disappointing to his readers.

The scene of Jeff Daniels having a serious back problem and resorting to crawling down a busy sidewalk to the chiropractor is worth the watch.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2023 03:17 pm
I recently watched Steven Spielberg's latest movie The Fablemans.

It's not an action blockbuster like we're used to seeing from Spielberg. It's autobiographical and a recollection of his childhood from his point of view. It doesn't attempt to be omniscient, it's strictly from his point of view and recollection.

It concentrates on his early obsession with filming and his relationship with his mother and father and schoolmates. Being a jew, he was subject to some pretty intense racism in California.

His mother was an accomplished pianist, and very supportive, loving, and affectionate. His father was a computer genius in the early days of computers and rather distant, but I think that was pretty normal in those days, maybe still is.

The film starts off in New Jersey, but then the family moves to Phoenix. His father had a best friend, Benny. Before they moved, Mitzi, Spielberg's mother, insisted that Benny move with them to Phoenix because he was her husband's best friend. It turned out she was in love with Benny and didn't want to leave him behind. Eventually, she left her husband and went to stay with Benny. Apparently, Spielberg didn't harbor any animosity against his mother for that probably because she was so warm and loving with him.

I got the feeling that Spielberg credits the inheritance of his creative genius from his mother's influence, although he recognizes his father's intellectual genius too.

0 Replies