So this woman sits next to me on the Red Line...

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:21 pm
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I have no worries of you visiting anywhere near where I live, we don't tolerate your kind too well.

Yeah, no worries, I'll leave you and the peanut gallery to yourselves.
[/quote
Who said you'd bother me? Believe me, you aren't that important.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:23 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Who said you'd bother me?

Not me. Where did you read it?

LoneStarMadam wrote:
Believe me, you aren't that important.

You don't know that. And you never will.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Disclaimer on that website:

Quote:
We are not a Government agency nor we are affiliated with the Immigration and naturalization department , we do not represent the INS office in any way , shape or form . We are an independent company providing global service for Immigration needs , information , guidelines , instructions , forms and applications . All the information provided in these pages are for general knowledge of the procedures utilized by Immigration department , we do not take any responsibility of any information supplied within these pages nor we are accountable for any errors or changes that might have happened prior , during or after updating these contents. If you have any concerns or questions you must seek legal advice.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:28 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Quote:
We are not a Government agency nor we are affiliated with the Immigration and naturalization department , we do not represent the INS office in any way , shape or form . We are an independent company providing global service for Immigration needs , information , guidelines , instructions , forms and applications . All the information provided in these pages are for general knowledge of the procedures utilized by Immigration department , we do not take any responsibility of any information supplied within these pages nor we are accountable for any errors or changes that might have happened prior , during or after updating these contents. If you have any concerns or questions you must seek legal advice.

Another Waltism (tm)!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:31 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Quote:

How odd... http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1331.html says the same exact thing...

Tell me Walter, does that make a difference for you?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:37 pm
Same disclaimer?
How marvellous!

~~~~

No, really?

~~~~

What is there is ...

Quote:
Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physican.

Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate for you, given your age, medical history and current medical condition.

It's good as far as it does go, which turns out to be standard governmentese for "we want this, but if you've got a good excuse ..."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 02:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Tell me Walter, does that make a difference for you?

It does. I don't believe any commercila website which wants to sell me stuff that I can get free from official agencies/offices etc.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 04:07 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
I don't think he was being rude.

She asked a question, she should have been ready for the answer.

I'm sure she got over it.

If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question.

Rude my ass.

Definitely rude. Maybe that's expected behavior in Boston .... you open your mouth on the train, you get what you deserve.

Can't speak for Austin, but most folks around here aren't that churlish.

Tico is right, I think it was rude.

The same message could have been expressed using some humour, and not giving offence. (I assume the woman found it offensive)
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:02 pm
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

LoneStarMadam wrote:

You got that right....I never will.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:21 pm
Aah... when I said it wasn't rude before, when I glanced back to review, I missed this sentence -

I want to understand how people can be so stupid to swallow this nonsense." I answered.

Yes, that's arguably rude. As I mentioned way earlier, there are other ways to make a conversation. Usually I prefer them. But, I do have some memories of people plain out mocking my opinion, my being recalcitrant, and yet having their quick mock be additive in some mind changing some time later. It's true though that those quick mocks that did any good for my mind-er-development came from people I thought generally astute unrelated to, say, politics or religion.

I've also enjoyed having my own opinions verbalized aggressively to others, when the verbalizer argued fairly adamantly with me at the time I said them.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:25 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

LoneStarMadam wrote:

You got that right....I never will.

You shall have the last word in this matter.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:32 am
ebrown was "rude". The manner in which he responded to the lady on the train fits within most western folks' notion of that term. Or, he could have picked his nose on the train and most folks would hold that as a public rudeness. If he had been riding on a train in certain Asian countries, a greater 'rudeness' would have been commited had ebrown displayed the soles of his feet. But he did do what he did on a train here.

But so what? What consequences fall out from that violation of 'proper social manners', as described in our particular cultural heritage? A lady may, in future, be a little less willing to speak to a stranger in a public setting about politics or any other subject. Others sitting nearbye might have been momentarily ill at ease. Neither of these are positive outcomes but how negative are they to our community's social well-being and social functioning?

Not very. Take New York. This is a city and culture broadly considered as something of an etiquette-free-zone in comparison to other western communities...loud, boisterous, competitive, etc. Yet it has generated many of the great American minds, an inordinate proportion of its great artists, musicians, writers, and it has been the fount from which much of America's political theory and structures have originated. Worker-safety laws and social programs were piloted here amid the free enterprise turmoil that made New York the financial capital of the world. Cops here say "phuck" a lot, loudly, joking and shooting the breeze with each other or with folks like me. Elsewhere, that's bad manners. It is a rudeness. Who here would be much surpised hearing two guys in public with one saying, "Your political ideas stink like the **** of a rhinocerous!" So what? What consequences fall out from the act or the statement or the violation of some notion of rudeness?

And what social consequences fall out from Rush Limbaugh?
Quote:
There are more American Indians alive today than there were when Columbus arrived or at any other time in history. Does this sound like a record of Genocide?"

From Ann Coulter?
Quote:
"Being nice to people is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity (as opposed to other religions whose tenets are more along the lines of 'kill everyone who doesn't smell bad and doesn't answer to the name Mohammed')." - from her column (at townhall.com)March 4, 2004.

What social consequences fall out from Pat Buchanan's bigotry? What social consequences fall out from fomenting hatreds and furthering falsehoods? From promoting divisiveness for political gain or merely to sustain 'tradition' (which itself has replaced some earlier 'tradition')?

Imagine if instead of leaping on someone for farting in public or for being angry in tone in public, we lept on instances of ad hominem statements and attempted deceits?

Imagine if, for example, people like ticomaya concerned themselves less with 'proper' or politically correct notions of speech acts in public and concerned themselves more with the government he supports and excuses when they deliver humans for certain torture in Egypt of Syria or where American contractors do it themselves.

Imagine if 'compassion" really meant something in the real world.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:30 pm
Imagine -- John Lennon

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
I'm like Sybil when it comes to being polite/rude.

If someone on a train, or anywhere, for example, started a friendly conversation with me, I'm as polite as can be, even if they're annoying. At least at first. I don't think anyone deserves to be treated harshly for a positive intention. But if someone does something just utterly stupid, I'm also not hesitant to call them out on it.

I love people, and at the same time I hate people. Last night, I'm walking into a room at a bar, my girlfriend is in front of me. Some jackass she walks by rubs his body right up against her...so I gave him a nice elbow to the chest. Funny how these pussies react a little differently once they realize the female they're assaulting isn't alone. But at the same time, if someone accidentally bumps into me, I'm definitely not the meathead that gets pissed, if they say sorry I'll smile and say "no problem." It comes with the territory of being in a packed room.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Sometime ago I was waiting at my favorite restaurant for a table, I decided to wait in the bar. I sat down next to a stranger who was just there for a beer or 3 and he turned to me and said "you know what's wrong with this country?"
"well' I said "I've got some ideas but what do you think?"
"Immigrants" he tells me. "Hell he says, half the people moving into this country don't even speak good english and they're not even white."
I took a sip of my whisky and turned to him and said "I hate bigots" and he says right back to me "yeah immigrants and bigots, that's what wrong with this county"

Laughing Laughing

Thats, like, a short story in its own right :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:05 pm
blatham wrote:
It's the sophistication of your moral philosophy which I find so entrancing, tico.

On the one hand, the anecdote described by ebrown wherein he was abrupt and unfriendly to a stranger on a train demands your stern public protest. Rudeness simply cannot go unmentioned. Your moral sense of how humans ought to behave towards others has been offended and you will not remain silent on the matter. Proper citizenship entails your moral remonstration. A man on a train expressing his honest opinion was unfriendly and abrupt to a stranger. Clearly, a moral outrage.

On the other hand, when Ann Coulter says to millions of citizens, that "Obviously, Gore is a total fag" not only does this falsehood and maliciously intended slander (with attached sexual bigotry) not perk up your acute moral sensibilities, it strikes you as the sort of thing jolly enough that it ought to be forwarded more broadly.

And then there is that torture thing, tico. That's ok with you. [..] But no rudeness on a train is going to pass you by without you speaking up loud and proud about right and wrong in human affairs.

Echo that. I'm much for politeness, myself, and Ebrown's reaction struck me as needlessly rude. But then, I'd already gathered that big city - eastcoast US - public transport manners are uh... very different from the ones I'm used to. (I remember the shock of idly looking around me on a NY subway and having a guy yell at me "WHAT ARE YA LOOKING AT!!??").

But yeah, gimme a pissed-off guy who's caught being rude to an individual on the subway over someone who's sanctimonious on manners but freely peddles the most hateful political stuff, anytime. I prefer someone who's both polite individually and scrupulous in political ethics, of course. But I forgive a personal rudeness far more easily than a defence of tortur..err, I mean, "stretch positions" - any day.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:20 pm
nimh wrote:
blatham wrote:
It's the sophistication of your moral philosophy which I find so entrancing, tico.

On the one hand, the anecdote described by ebrown wherein he was abrupt and unfriendly to a stranger on a train demands your stern public protest. Rudeness simply cannot go unmentioned. Your moral sense of how humans ought to behave towards others has been offended and you will not remain silent on the matter. Proper citizenship entails your moral remonstration. A man on a train expressing his honest opinion was unfriendly and abrupt to a stranger. Clearly, a moral outrage.

On the other hand, when Ann Coulter says to millions of citizens, that "Obviously, Gore is a total fag" not only does this falsehood and maliciously intended slander (with attached sexual bigotry) not perk up your acute moral sensibilities, it strikes you as the sort of thing jolly enough that it ought to be forwarded more broadly.

And then there is that torture thing, tico. That's ok with you. [..] But no rudeness on a train is going to pass you by without you speaking up loud and proud about right and wrong in human affairs.

Echo that. I'm much for politeness, myself, and Ebrown's reaction struck me as needlessly rude. But then, I'd already gathered that big city - eastcoast US - public transport manners are uh... very different from the ones I'm used to. (I remember the shock of idly looking around me on a NY subway and having a guy yell at me "WHAT ARE YA LOOKING AT!!??").

But yeah, gimme a pissed-off guy who's caught being rude to an individual on the subway over someone who's sanctimonious on manners but freely peddles the most hateful political stuff, anytime. I prefer someone who's both polite individually and scrupulous in political ethics, of course. But I forgive a personal rudeness far more easily than a defence of tortur..err, I mean, "stretch positions" - any day.

Ramen.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:06 pm
nimh wrote:

Really? Well, give me a polite person over a smelly, terrorist-apologist euroweenie any day of the week.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:56 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:

Really? Well, give me a polite person over a smelly, terrorist-apologist euroweenie any day of the week.

Well, I would too - but thats the duh bit, isnt it? "Give me a [positive] person over a [negative] person", well yeah, hello.

The question here is the whole, "Give me a [negative], but [positive] person over a [positive], but [negative] person" comparison, you dig? So thats the kind of retort you'll be wanting to fix up, too - its just, like, one layer extra.

Come on, you're up to the challenge - one for the old year! Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:18 pm
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:

Well, I would too - but thats the duh bit, isnt it? "Give me a [positive] person over a [negative] person", well yeah, hello.

The question here is the whole, "Give me a [negative], but [positive] person over a [positive], but [negative] person" comparison, you dig? So thats the kind of retort you'll be wanting to fix up, too - its just, like, one layer extra.

Come on, you're up to the challenge - one for the old year! Smile

I sorta missed the "[positive]" in the first part of your response. Or are you suggesting "being rude to an individual on the subway" as the positive? And anyway, I kinda like mine as it is, nimh.

But, just for the old year ... I would also prefer a patriotic, polite person, over a nice-smelling, terrorist-apologist euroweenie. ("Patriotic" being the negative -- it is a negative, right? -- and "nice-smelling" being the positive.)

But since yours seems to be the whole, "Give me a [negative], but [negative] person over a [positive], but [negative] person" comparison ...

I would also prefer a pissed-off, rude person over a nice-smelling, terrorist-apologist euroweenie.
0 Replies