So this woman sits next to me on the Red Line...

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 06:03 pm
I am riding on the Red Line (the subway line that passes through Cambridge Massachusetts) reading "State of Emergency" by Patrick Buchanan which I received as a Christmas gift.

The 30ish professional-looking woman next to me turns to me and says "that's a great book, isn't it?".

I ask (somewhat incredulously) "have you read it?".

"Not yet" she says "but I think Pat Buchannan is great".

"I don't" I replied "I think Buchanan is a complete wack job and this book is utter bullshit".

"So why are you reading it?" she retorted, looking somewhat hurt.

"I want to understand how people can be so stupid to swallow this nonsense." I answered.

She went back to the normal commuter behavior of staring just above the person across from her, and I went back to reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,118 • Replies: 200
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 06:24 pm
Perhaps this should be the next book you read?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 06:34 pm
good for you ebrown
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 06:49 pm
bravo. I've read similar tripe, for similar reasons...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 06:58 pm
How would you have handled this McGentrix?

Breaking the code of silence that exists on Boston public transportation is quite unusual. It was as if, because I was reading this particular book, she thought we were in the same secret club.

In hindsight, I was wondering if it might have been more fun to play Borat; by expressing more and more extreme right views to see how far she would go along with me.

But, unfortunately you don't always think of the best things to say in an unexpected encounter such as this until it is too late.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:06 pm
Sometime ago I was waiting at my favorite restaurant for a table, I decided to wait in the bar. I sat down next to a stranger who was just there for a beer or 3 and he turned to me and said "you know what's wrong with this country?"
"well' I said "I've got some ideas but what do you think?"
"Immigrants" he tells me. "Hell he says, half the people moving into this country don't even speak good english and they're not even white."
I took a sip of my whisky and turned to him and said "I hate bigots" and he says right back to me "yeah immigrants and bigots, that's what wrong with this county"
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:12 pm
Laughing

I've had some funny scenes, trying to make small talk with a bunch of "Bush Country" Texans - like being in a hospital waiting room, when something on the TV starts an impromptu back-and-forth about the war or some other aspect of Bushco. I generally try to make it gleefully clear post haste that I'm not going along with their brainless cheerleading ("They oughta just support the president and the soldiers!"), and it generally gets a little quiet...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:18 pm
goddamn dys, i just about choked on my ice tea, that's some funny ****

he probably went home and told his brother daryll and his other brother daryll, about the great guy he met at the bar
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:21 pm
djjd62 wrote:
goddamn dys, i just about choked on my ice tea, that's some funny ****

he probably went home and told his brother daryll and his other brother daryll, about the great guy he met at the bar

That's a true event, happened nearly 40 years ago. My how times change when you're in a coma.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:26 pm
Getting back to Buchanan -- he's not all bad. Wrong on immigration, for sure, and his views on social issues are fairly primitive, too. But he's right on re Iraq. Against the war. Period.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:28 pm
Commuting to work by train, Brooklyn to Manhattan, I sat reading the autobiography of Bertrand Russell. A somber face was thrust between me and the pages. The man then looked at me and shook his head, communicating sadness that I could be so misguided in my reading habits. I looked him over, as if trying to memorize every detail, then dismissed him and went back to the book, the words taking on a new importance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:31 pm
I've a group of long time girlfriends that I've spoken about before on a2k. We call ourselves SAG, for smart ass group, because someone called us that long ago and it stuck. At least four of the friends are ready with the smart ass quip. Time having passed since the mid sixties, the second meaning of SAG takes on more import.

So, anyway, decades have gone by and we as a group that meet every so often, say, oh, every three years now, or whenever I get to Los Angeles - we form a continuum of political thinking/opinions. I'm at the far left of the row, along with one other friend, and my first friend of the group represents the Bananas Contingent. She's a sincere fan of Buchanan and secures our Right Edge. Luckily, our get togethers cover more topics than the politics which sometimes define us, and early attachment still has a hold, life lived passing.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:58 pm
I dunno, if I thought the book I was reading was stupid or the author of the book was stupid, if I'd want people to see me reading it....they could think the reader was even more stupid....which, IMO....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:04 pm
Gee, LSM, worried about the opinion of strangers? I thought you were made of sterner stuff!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:07 pm
I was thinking the same thing, Dart, and was about to express an opinion, but you beat me to it, and I will now retreat to the corner in silence.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:08 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I dunno, if I thought the book I was reading was stupid or the author of the book was stupid, if I'd want people to see me reading it....they could think the reader was even more stupid....which, IMO....

there is always the case of, know your enemy

i don't think that ebrown is stupid for reading said book, i listen to rush, hannity, medved and savage, and don't agree with anything they have to say

as to why, see the first line in my response
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:18 pm
LSM didn't mean what she said above, she just wanted to say she has an opinion about ebrown and wanted to make sure everyone here knew what it was. IMO.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:41 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

I guess that explains why some people never read anything..

After all, all them liberals is stupid for inventing writing in the first place.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 01:37 pm
dys

You missed your calling............as a comedy writer.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 01:46 pm
Damn ebrown, don't you know you're only supposed to read stuff you already agree with?

No wonder you confused the poor woman.
0 Replies