So this woman sits next to me on the Red Line...

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:56 pm
That woman was decidedly nervy to say something to someone she doesn't know on the subway, particularly in the area of politics - she was either desperate to flirt, stupid, or inexperienced with transit etiquette. She'd have been lucky (?) to get that polite of an acknowledgment of her comment round here.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:17 pm
It's nervy to try to start some idle chit chat with someone? Jeez, must be a friendly place. I'll stay here where people don't go ballistic when someone tries to start a conversation. I've heard that Boston was a snooty place, must be true.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:18 pm
Quote:

I wish I liked liberals enough to get angry with them, but I don't, they're more like gnats than anything, just pesky.

But we are gnats with votes and more pesky than ever... just wait until 2008.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
nervy, yes, especially when it comes to a political book

you know she full well expected to have a regular pat buchanan circle jerk

if the book had been a john grisham and he'd said, no, i hate john grisham, and after being questioned about why he was reading it, he'd said, because i like to read on the bus and it was the only book in the house at the moment, this thread would be dead by now

she asked, he responded it was not the answer she wanted to hear, and i'm assuming others who've replied

get over it
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:38 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

I wish I liked liberals enough to get angry with them, but I don't, they're more like gnats than anything, just pesky.

But we are gnats with votes and more pesky than ever... just wait until 2008.

Yes, votes, i understand some of the gnats have three or four votes, even some of the dead ones vote.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:41 pm
djjd62 wrote:

if the book had been a john grisham and he'd said, no, i hate john grisham, and after being questioned about why he was reading it, he'd said, because i like to read on the bus and it was the only book in the house at the moment, this thread would be dead by now

she asked, he responded it was not the answer she wanted to hear, and i'm assuming others who've replied

get over it

Well, since we only have browns word for what transpired....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:45 pm
djjd62 wrote:

get over it

You're exactly right, djjd. Had ebrown not recited his rude encounter with the girl on the train, which was enthusiastically congratulated by you and snood, I'd never said anything at all.

But this thread has been informative. I've learned that, as a rule, folks in Boston and Toronto tend to be rude to strangers. Maybe if I'd lived in Boston or Toronto I'd be a rude sonofabitch too.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 03:12 am
...as opposed to the snide arrogant sonofabitch you are now....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:29 am
Ticomaya wrote:
djjd62 wrote:

get over it

You're exactly right, djjd. Had ebrown not recited his rude encounter with the girl on the train, which was enthusiastically congratulated by you and snood, I'd never said anything at all.

But this thread has been informative. I've learned that, as a rule, folks in Boston and Toronto tend to be rude to strangers. Maybe if I'd lived in Boston or Toronto I'd be a rude sonofabitch too.

i never suggested anything about ebrown not posting the topic, i suggested that had the subject matter been some pedestrian piece of crap (more so than a book by pat buchanan, if that's possible), and snood and i had congratulated him, it wopuld have made no impression

the subject matter of the book i believe has more to do with the response than ebrowns, or snoods or my apparent rudeness

fyi, i don't live in toronto, i have at one time, but grew up in a very close-knit rural society, where i once again reside
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:38 am
Ticomaya wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Sorry to disappoint y'all. But, "niceness" has never ranked very high on my list of virtues.

Who's disappointed?

Quote:
I consider hypocrisy a far worse sin than rudeness. I hate when civility is used to mask one's true feelings.

Civility is a character flaw? .... interesting thesis.

Quote:
"Party of niceness"? Harrrummph! I would not join this party (nor would they want me). My party should be a party of far more important values than "niceness".

How about the Party of "If I Want to Be a Dick on a Train, I'll Damn Well Be a Dick on a Train"?

Quote:
In real life or not, tell me what you think and I will respond in kind. Civility is for the shallow.

It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round, ebrown. And you're one of them, warts and all. You just keep on being your rude self.

A treatise on the self-evident moral responsibilities and social benefits related to matters of proper manners versus rudeness from the fellow who pastes Ann Coulter's columns for our perusal. And there's the justifying torture thing too, but so long as the torturers don't say un-nice things about the Paki's mother, we're fine...got that manners thing down...moral compass working jim-dandy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:47 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
LSM wrote:
Nor did I say brown was stupid, however, if you're reading a book that you believe is total BS, why would you even read it to start with, or finish reading after you started?

Another portal into the mind of LSM has been opened.

"Being LoneStarMadam"...a Kaufman/Hitchcock film. You'll scream. You'll cry. You may eat your own children. And you'll NEVER EVER enter another trailer park!

In terrifying RightORama.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:03 am
You are the stereotypical asshole Bostonian.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:08 am
snood wrote:
...as opposed to the snide arrogant sonofabitch you are now....

Yeah, but you're not a stranger. You're snide, arrogant snood.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:11 am
Next time respond, "CAN'T YOU SEE I'M READING ABOUT POLITICS!?!?! HOW DARE YOU! BRING UP CONVERSATION WITH ME? I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH!"

You guys sound like a bunch of dorks. "Damn bitch got what she deserved, speaking up on a book about politics."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:13 am
djjd62 wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
djjd62 wrote:

get over it

i never suggested anything about ebrown not posting the topic, i suggested that had the subject matter been some pedestrian piece of crap (more so than a book by pat buchanan, if that's possible), and snood and i had congratulated him, it wopuld have made no impression

the subject matter of the book i believe has more to do with the response than ebrowns, or snoods or my apparent rudeness

The subject matter has nothing to do with whether ebrown was rude to the lady or not. Had the book he was reading been Dr. Seuss' "Hop on Pop," his response would still have been rude, and I would still have commented on it.

I think you and snood congratulated him because of the subject matter, so I think the subject matter is important in that sense. Not as to whether what he said was rude, but to your reaction to it. You probably cheered his rudeness because of the subject matter, but wouldn't have if the book had been "Hop on Pop," because then you would only be congratulating his rudeness, not his political point that was delivered rudely.

Quote:
fyi, i don't live in toronto, i have at one time, but grew up in a very close-knit rural society, where i once again reside

I know you don't still live in Toronto, but I didn't want to categorize the entire Ontario province as rude. Did you learn to be rude in Toronto or in the rural environment?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:19 am
blatham wrote:
A treatise on the self-evident moral responsibilities and social benefits related to matters of proper manners versus rudeness from the fellow who pastes Ann Coulter's columns for our perusal. And there's the justifying torture thing too, but so long as the torturers don't say un-nice things about the Paki's mother, we're fine...got that manners thing down...moral compass working jim-dandy.

Please take your strawman when you leave, blatham. For someone who is so critical of other people's thinking, you often display a surprising lack of same when you post. Posting an article written by a political pundit on a political forum is not rude. If you don't want to read Ann Coulter, then kindly exercise your scroll wheel or the ignore function on your Firefox browser. In any case, I have only posted a Coulter article a couple of times outside of the Bush Supporters thread or a thread devoted to Coulter ... and then only one time I can recall where I did not give a "WARNING" to the reader, just because I know how some of you folks just hate to see a Coulter article posted. But this nonsense that I'm rude or being an ass because I post her articles on this political forum is ridiculous.

Beyond that, the issue here is manners one displays to a stranger they meet. I would have no problem acting like a jerk towards you, blatham (or any body else), here on A2K, but I assure you that's only in response to the way you have acted to me (speaking hypothetically, of course). I tend to treat others the way they treat me. But I am certainly not rude to strangers on the street. My momma raised me better than that.

I'm getting the sense that it's the leftists at this site that are the most rude (and proud of it). Interesting anecdotal evidence, don't you think?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:21 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Next time respond, "CAN'T YOU SEE I'M READING ABOUT POLITICS!?!?! HOW DARE YOU! BRING UP CONVERSATION WITH ME? I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH!"

You guys sound like a bunch of dorks. "Damn bitch got what she deserved, speaking up on a book about politics."

Don't hit me, Slappy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:24 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Interesting anecdotal evidence, don't you think?

Yes.

(Though I never would hold that against your momma.)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:26 am
Tic, the Cambridge area is filled with geeks who are pissed they have to ride the redline train to work. Twice within the last month I've had these dorks scream at me while I was driving, and didn't slam my brakes on to allow them to cross in front of me. Mind you, they were walking towards the side of my car, not in front of it while yelling at me. Apparently I should have used my ESP to predict a dork was about to cross the street before seeing him.

I did stop for one of them, because I was about to get out and knock him out, but I'm not quite as angry, so I made fun of him instead.

Seriously, you should some of the winners that parade around this area.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:27 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Don't hit me, Slappy.

I'm actually on your side here. I'm making fun of the fact people are agreeing with being rude because the book is about politics.
0 Replies