"It's Genetic." Riiiight.

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:14 pm
Diane wrote:
if someone insults you, just turn it around and understand that they are really describing themselves.

This kind of statement I never really agreed with, and I'm not trying to be argumentive.

But it seems like a common response to anyone who makes comments people take personally. "Oh, he told a joke about gay people....that means he's insecure about his sexuality and/or has sucked on few...." It's just a way to make a comeback to them via the "high road."

I think people can hurl insults without having some hidden insecurities. Maybe they're just ignorant.

F**k....I want to go out. My girlfriend takes way too long to get ready.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:33 pm
Thanks soz, Butrfly, and osso.

Jes, you make an interesting point about prejudice.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:45 pm
nimh wrote:
People behaving unhealthily and thus deteriorating their health are generally treated condemningly - .

I wonder how far back that goes in terms of survival.

If one person in a small tribe, for example, remained fat while others went hungry that ment they were not doing thier share, and taking more then thier share.

You cant survive as a small group when you have members like that.

Maybe that thought process is in our genes somewhere and is what plays into the loathing we feel when we see someone doing something we dont agree with ( or unhealthy) because the truth of it is , we dont live in anyone elses skin. So what thelocal drunk buys at the store has no effect on our bodies so it should not repulse us.
Yet it does.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:18 pm
Slappy, you misunderstood me. Whenever my sons would come home and say someone on the playground told them they were stupid a$$holes, I would say that that person was describing himself because he didn't have enough smarts to express himself any better. For abusive names like queer or homo, I simply said that the person was bigoted. I made sure they understood me because their uncle was gay and they learned from a very early age about bigotry.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 02:56 am
Right on, Diane....
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:52 am
nimh wrote:
True that. I'm thin - I'm 65 kg, at 1 meter 80 length (no idea what that is in your measurements).

Not sure myself but WOW!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 05:58 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Embarrassed

i like really skinny men

Hey, I was just about to say the same thing.

The guy I'm all ga ga over these days is tall and very lean <yummy> :-D

Most of the guys I've gone out with were very thin.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:06 pm
nimh wrote:
True that. I'm thin - I'm 65 kg, at 1 meter 80 length (no idea what that is in your measurements). People tell me I'm too thin, and nobody thinks twice about it.

Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Nimh, I hear you...because I used to be ridiculously skinny too.

The first summer I started lifting weights, I was in college. I'm 5'10, maybe 5'11, and weighed 135-140lbs. That's like a pretty thin chick at that height.

Just for point of discussion, these are approx the same. 1 meter 80 length is about 5'11 and 65 kg is 143 lbs.

I agree in general that any negative comments about physical attributes are rude. I was brutally ridiculed about my height and weight as a child/teen. My nicknames were string bean, bean pole, stick, legs, and a number of other oh-so-flattering names. I was 6'0 and weighed 125 lbs at the age of 13 and 140 at 16. It was hell. Anyone who feels compelled to say the words, "You're too ______" should catch themselves before the words ever leave their mouths.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 05:36 pm
Hey, JPB, bet you don't mind being called "legs" now. LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 06:45 pm
I'm tuned in to the unhealthiness of various states. I've been skinny - have a photo of me with my skinny wrist hanging from a coat... and too heavy. Haven't qualified for obese, but am not yet down to below 25 bmi. I do know how to get there, for me.

What jars is the arrogance, the sheer spoiledness of the young and fit, with gym memberships.. or even the maniacally old and fit - but it is a useless diversion to rail at rudeness. It's like defending dwarves to the blind. (I tried that.) The lack of empathy is stunning.
Now I just look to see if something is in the humor section or not.

My two girl cousins, sisters, were both tall all their lives. One was very athletically competent, and has spent the later part of her life immense, and somewhat, waving at, athletic - sailing club commodore, etc., when able. The other was self-embarassed clumsy, and has spent the later part of her life an expert on clumsiness and other matters, very little time over all on any kind of exercise, still skinny in her sixties. Yes, one was adopted.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:09 pm
Quote:
What jars is the arrogance, the sheer spoiledness of the young and fit

I absolutly agree, with no need to elaborate.
you said it perfectly.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:13 pm
I agree shewolf, Osso got right to the heart of the matter.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:30 pm
I too concur. And the arrogant are blind to their arrogance.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:35 pm
Im sure that some of them consider it 'helping'

My mother in law does this.

Very arrogant, criticizes us with everything she ever sees us eat.

I feed bean some broccoli + about 1/2 an avocado.

She says " You are feeding her fat. You dont want HER to be fat do you?"
then comes the long speech about nutrient content .. blah blah blah blah..

what she fails to realize though ( in that incident) is that your body requires some fat to absorb vitamin a + c . Both in broccoli..

so nah nah............... bitch..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:44 pm
Well, there is biochemistry to back up the conjectures about fat metabolism, beyond muscle building or not.

I'm not saying Slappy is entirely wrong.

Reminds me of a discussion a friend and I had decades ago. She said she'd kill herself if (and I forget the if).

I remember thinking, well, I could still read.

Now, if whatever it was happened, she with her bounding energy probably would not have killed herself, and I with my endless reading might have.

who knows?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:51 pm
she would kill herself if she gained weight?

why does that almost make me want to laugh..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:52 pm
Hint: there are good fats.

Not to mention lascivious avocadoness.

I suppose I really ought to find that olive oil link.

Back in a bit.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:55 pm
good fats are what we need.

not McFats.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:58 pm
No, I didn't explain enough. She would kill herself if paraplegic (geez, this was a 70's conversation).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 09:04 pm
Ok, ok, here's the olive oll thing. I can't give a primo link since my link on my computer has my name all over it. (grrrrr).

BBC on the 23rd -

Last Updated: Saturday, 23 December 2006, 00:34 GMT
Olive oil 'can cut cancer risk'

The researchers used three types of olive oil
Adding plenty of olive oil to a diet could help protect against cell damage that can lead to cancer, experts say.
A study of 182 European men found those who had 25 millilitres of olive oil per day had reduced levels of a substance which indicates cell damage.

The Danish team said it may explain why many cancer rates are higher in northern Europe than the south, where olive oil is a major part of the diet.

The study is in the Federation American Societies for Experimental Biology.

By-products

The Copenhagen University Hospital researchers looked at 182 healthy men aged between 20 and 60 from five European countries.

These data provide evidence that olive oil consumption explains the difference in cancer incidence between north and southern Europe
Dr Henrik Poulsen
Copenhagen University Hospital

The scientists added either virgin, common or refined olive oil to their diets over two weeks.

At the end of study, scientists measured levels of the substance which indicates oxidative damage to cells, called 8oxodG, in the men's urine.

Oxidative damage is a process whereby the metabolic balance of a cell is disrupted by exposure to substances that result in the accumulation of free-radicals, which can then damage the cell.

The men were found to have around 13% less 8oxodG compared with their levels at the beginning of the study.

At the beginning of the study, men from northern Europe had higher levels of 8oxodG than those from southern Europe, supporting the idea that olive oil had a reductive effect.

North-south difference

Olive oil contains a number of compounds, called phenols, which are believed to act as powerful antioxidants.

More long-term research is needed to confirm these effects
Dr Anthea Martin, Cancer Research UK

But the Danish researchers said the men in the study used the three different oils, which had different levels of phenols, so that was unlikely to explain the protective effect.

They said that, instead, the monounsaturated fats in olive oil were probably behind the effect.

The scientists, led by Dr Henrik Poulsen, wrote in the FASEB journal: "These data provide evidence that olive oil consumption explains the difference in cancer incidence between north and southern Europe."

Dr Anthea Martin, science information officer at Cancer Research UK, said: "The effect of diet on cancer risk is very complex because of the many different components of the food we eat.

"Although this study suggests that olive oil can reduce DNA damage that could lead to the development of cancer, more long-term research is needed to confirm these effects."

She added: "We do know that a healthy, balanced diet, including plenty of vegetables and fruit and limited amounts of red and processed meat, can help reduce the risk of cancer."
0 Replies