"It's Genetic." Riiiight.

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:00 pm
I was going to add something to this thread, but then because I am sculpted and resemble a bronze statue, a sort of greek god if you will, without a trace of fat on my body, I decided that perhaps I'm not qualified to offer anything constructive and will thus bow out and let you fat people continue on with your respective diatribes.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:05 pm
Shewolf, you sweetie. Let's go see Gus and share a Snickers with him.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:46 pm
Here's something we all need to think about. Dys and I were talking about this subject and he said that few people ever think that skinny people have the same experience with thoughtless bigots.

He was born with one of his kidneys in the front, pushing into his stomach. It didn't show up on X-rays, so all the pain and screaming fell on deaf ears. He was told to stop acting like a baby. He was also scolded for not eating enough--no one but Dys knew that eating too much, even what would be considered enough, was acutely painful.

All his life he has been kidded and teased for being so skinny. Once, during the time he was working for the govermor of Colorado, while having lunch with a friend, the friend's father came to the table just as Dys was leaving. Later, his friend said that his father commented that he thought Dys was probably a heroin addict.

Does anyone here think that comments like that don't hurt? Again, he can't hide his lack of weight. It's right there for people to see and to comment on. There have been far worse comments that I won't mention here. It seems to bring out the very worst in people...that is in some people who have a streak of thoughtless mean-spiritedness.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:09 pm
Ahh.,...

I am guilty of this.

VERY guilty.

My biggest example is my mother in law.
Rolling Eyes A self admitted anorexic, she is a little over 6 feet tall and about 110 lbs.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3020/mildo5.jpg

Always complaining of weight gain , she rarely eats.

Granted, for her this is a choice, but from seeing most of her family pictures, I am willing to bet there is some sort of shared metabolism gene there as well.

I am forever poking jokes about her lack of food, her lack of a butt, and lack of a body in general.
When I first met her, I would try to hug her. Now, I wont do it because she hurts.
( I also realized quickly that she doesnt like hugs ehh.. what ever )

She eats green stuff, and only green stuff.
She wont eat yellows ( corn squash, peppers etc .. )

She is an odd creature that woman.

But , no matter, here I sit in my stuffy , fully furnished brown skin laughing at , and staring at her as if she was some kind of freak show.
I see people do it to her in public as well.
She is very skinny. Abnormally skinny, and I am positive she is the butt of peoples jokes all around. I cant be the only one.

Im just more vicious about it.

I will never say it to her face.. but be damned if I dont stuff her plate with more food then she normally eats. Only to watch her throw it away.
Ian and I talk about her all the time when she isnt around. And all I resort to is how skinny she is and how she just needs to EAT something.

It is easy when the shoe is on the other foot.

Being the one to tease, I feel no remorse. ( Not for HER that is.. )

But, being the one who is teased, I feel I should take down the entire world so everyone knows what was done to me.

odd huh..
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:01 pm
Wow, I just posted a link because I thought the article was pretty funny....scooters were being bought by fat people so they didn't have to walk, the one thing they could do to lose weight, and the fact the untapped market that presented this huge opportunity was the US.

I used to be teased for being skinny as a kid too. And one of my friends I grew up with is still really skinny and we kind of joke about it also. He doesn't like it. Anytime someone makes jokes about your appearance it sucks, whether you're fat, skinny, or just because you're really really really really really good looking, such as Gus and I.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:10 am
Well you see, Slappy, people like you and Gus just will never know the pain most of us live with every day. Sigh, you poor things. Now for the truth, we all do things like that. I have often laughed at the people who go to the gym but park as close as possible. What's that about?

A note about Dys: when he was thirty, he was taken to the hospital by his father. He was in excruciating pain, but the kidney still hadn't been discovered. There were no rooms available so he was in the hallway. A couple of docs were deciding who to take next and one said, in reference to Dys, "Don't worry about him, he won't last the night." It wasn't until they did a CT scan that they finally discovered the kidney pushing into his stomach. Not surprising, Dys hate doctors and hospitals.

Shewolf, baby girl, I'm going to have Gus and Slappy (if he is very, very good), whip you with a piece of wet spahgetti for your thoughtlessness. Honey, a bitch is a bitch. Yes, she is miserable, but she is really miserable to you and Ian. Yes, you are picking on something she has very little control over, but she has been so awful to you that I can only sympathize. So, I'm a damn hypocrite. Sue me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:38 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Why do I have to justify the reasons for my weight problem to anyone before they will even look at me and say "hello" without a snicker or consider me next time they want to make caustic jokes about fat people while near me?

You dont have to justify yourself to anyone. If someone who is overweight is complaining around me, I tell them to stop or lose weight. Mean, maybe. But I value honestly among friends.

Butrflynet wrote:

I've already lost 100 pounds, but I'm still fat. Does that let me into your club yet? Do I now qualify as someone to love or at least like? When will it be enough so you can look past the fat and see me and not a lazy fat person?

Perhaps you misread my post or are directing this at someone else because no where did I say anything about not being worthy of love. And I didn't say anything about not being able to look past the fat to see the person.

Butrflynet wrote:

Does being fat and lazy mean I'm not allowed to socialize even if it means I purchase a cart that makes me more mobile and gives me incentive to leave the four walls of my home?

Socialize all you want. Just don't complain to me. That's all I said. If you work out, eat healthy (reasonably) and still have trouble losing weight, that is a different story all together.

Butrflynet wrote:

Why does the question of genetics determine how fat people are treated in public? How do you know which fat person has a medical problem, which has poor genes and which just eats a lot of Big Macs? Are there signs we're supposed to wear that say "It's okay to be my friend. I was born this way!" or "I'm not lazy, I'm sick." ?

I think you are taking this way to personally. And I knew you would. But to see someone gorging themselves on junk is disgusting. A smoker coughing up a lung while puffing grosses me out too if you must know. And a very skinny girl barley touching a salad grosses me out. Should I go on or do you think I am just a fat hater?

Why do you insist on making this about whether or not you are a person of value? Some people may view you that way. But I never said I was one of them.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:44 am
I like to be practical about everything and practically speaking.... you would rather have sex with an overweight person than a stick.

So where's the debate?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:02 am
There is a huge double standard in operation. People will tell you if they think you are too thin, or at the least make comments about it to others--but god forbid you should ever tell anyone: "Hey, you're fat, you're disgusting--lose some weight!"

For most of my life, i was very slim--so slim that i wore "medium" sized clothing well into my thirties. In my late forties, i was laid up with an injury for weeks, and put on weight horribly. I've lost a good deal of the weight, and that is thanks to diet and exercise--but i'm still overweight. When i was slim, people told me all the time that they thought i was too skinny, and were willing to tell me that it was unhealthy. Nobody has ever told me: "Hey, Boy, you're fat--clean up your act!"

I don't think obese people should be harassed, but i don't think people should walk on eggs shells around them, and i don't think they are a misunderstood and abused minority. In fact, they may be a majority by now.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:12 am
squinney and I were out to dinner last night and I took a look around thinking specifically about this thread and you know what? 90% of the people there ranged from Rubenesque to Big Fat Load..... we are a fat nation.... not healthy but certainly preferable to a starving one..... I think diet has a lot to do with it along with the natural slowing down of the metabolism with age.

I go to the gym and run religiously and my weight is right about where it should be and yet I still have a small spare tire as I mentioned that won't go away no matter what I do short of starving myself and I'm just not going to do that.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I like to be practical about everything and practically speaking.... you would rather have sex with an overweight person than a stick.

So where's the debate?

Like I said, I've never banged an obese chick, but thick/bigger. The anorexic was the absolute worst. But she seriously had an eating disorder...you could see ribs, no hips, it was f'n disgusting.

I'm going to go throw up now. Hey, gotta lose weight!

And talking about your spare tire: there are definitely times where a person has a bit of fat that won't go away. I've seen plenty of women who are stick thin, but still carry a little extra on the ass. There's a woman at my gym who is absolutely RIPPED, and has a little padding down there. She's seriously more cut than just about every guy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:39 am
A little extra padding and being obese are two totally different things.

Being pudgy and being obese are two totally different things.

America is FAT. Not pudgy. Not slightly fluffy. FAT.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:41 am
Bella Dea wrote:

I hear you, I was just responding to BPB saying he can't get rid of his spare tire.

And yes, America is fat.

And I'm fat. With a "P H." Phat.

Dawg.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:43 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I hear you, I was just responding to BPB saying he can't get rid of his spare tire.

And yes, America is fat.

And I'm fat. With a "P H." Phat.

Dawg.

Well duh. I know how phat you are.

I know you were agreeing with Bear. We are all on the same page with this I think.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:45 am
You want to fight?

I'll never hit a woman. I'll shake the sh!t outta' her though.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:46 am
Only if you promise to smack my fluffy ass.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Only if you promise to smack my fluffy ass.

a bella dea ass fluffer nutter. Hell f*ckin' yeah... is it time for desert?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:01 am
And it's only getting worse:

Preschoolers Are Fatter Than Ever

I do think genetics are involved. In human history, the people that could hold onto their calories the longest were at an advantage in times of food shortages. In the last 100 years we have secured a steady diet of fat and sugar with little worry about availability. Today, in America, there is no advantage to having a metabolism that can save you during a famine, but the body has not had time to evolve and adapt. We have bodies designed to live on vegetables, fruits, legumes and occasionally meat or dairy, but instead we have pumped this stuff up into an endless calorie laden buffet. We also were designed to work hard for our food, not anymore - just drive up to the window and supersize it.

Ironically, the fat children we see today would probably have been the most healthy and most likely to survive into adulthood if they were born in the past during hard times. A fat child today probably had ancestors with survivalist metabolisms and now have to undo all that evolution with diet and exercise.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:07 am
Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt the Slappy, Bear and Bella orgy. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:08 am
Green Witch wrote:
And it's only getting worse:

Preschoolers Are Fatter Than Ever

I do think genetics are involved. In human history, the people that could hold onto their calories the longest were at an advantage in times of food shortages. In the last 100 years we have secured a steady diet a fat and sugar with little worry about availability. Today, in America, there is no advantage to having a metabolism that can save you during a famine, but the body has not had time to evolve and adapt. We have bodies designed to live on vegetables, fruits, legumes and occasionally meat or dairy, but instead we have pumped this stuff up into an endless calorie laden buffet. We also were designed to work hard for our food, not anymore - just drive up to the window and supersize it.

Ironically, the fat children we see today would probably have been the most healthy and most likely to survive into adulthood if they were born in the past during hard times. A fat child today probably had ancestors with survivalist metabolisms and now have to undo all that evolution with diet and exercise.

Makes sense....which is why it makes even more sense to get into a consistent exercise routine. Most people sit around all day during their job, then drive home to sit around at home, then go to bed. Your metabolism slows to a crawl at this point.

I sit around a lot for my job too, and drive a lot, so I think working out is pretty much a necessity.
0 Replies