ADVICE NEEDED-I'm about to lose my wife

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 07:51 pm
Get a lawyer, I think most of us agree on this.

Re whose fault, look at some of your first posts, you were diving into total fault on your part. I was the one to mock that.

Fault is problematic. People vary, grow differently. People act shittlily and well, and sometimes well-thought spits in the wind, while stupid actions can clarify.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:42 am
One of the problems with getting advice from strangers is that the best advice is generic (get a counselor, get a lawyer) because we don't know you, your wife, your situation, etc.

If you said you were easy-going, that means something different to each of us, yourself included. By the same token, a slight change of emphasis or a word choice can totally change the meaning of what you're trying to get across. In addition, it's all from your perspective, which skews things further. For example, you say you may not mind if she goes out till 2 am., but who knows what look is on your face the next morning that you are unable or unwilling to share with us - this would change your whole story.

We can only react to what you say, how you say it, and the feelings that come through.

Why not reread this whole thread and find the commonalities? Write them down (and the number of people who said them) - it may surprise you.

I don't believe the situation is all your fault or all her fault. I believe the choice she made to do whatever she's doing with this fellow is completely her own responsibility and you had nothing to do with that, but as to why she's doing what she's doing... only you and she can figure that out. That's not for us to say.

Good luck.
0 Replies

vstrong

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 07:49 am
Thank you all....
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 09:09 am
I haven't read through the entire thread, only the last five pages, but I can agree with much of the advice given. I am not very aware of the legal issues in the US, but it seems to me too that you need to get legal counseling a.s.a.p. The best approach to betrayal is clarity, emotionally and rationally.

Your wife has made a decision to leave, first emotionally and then physically. Now you need to clean up your life, cut the bonds, remove her from your environment. Make this separation visible and evident to all (not least to yourself and do it yourself, so you are not a victim of the situation; act! You may still love her and that is OK, but that is not going to make her stay):

Get a quick and neat divorce (if possible), make sure that she gets what is due to her, and perhaps a little more, so you have nothing to reproach yourself about. Make her move out (if she hasn't already) with all her stuff a.s.a.p. and change the locks on the doors. If she leaves anything, put it in storage elsewhere. Do not tear up any pictures, but put them away until you can look at them without anger or regret. Have your house cleaned, rearrange your living room as well as your routines, stop drinking, do not go to the nudie bar (if you weren't a regular before, it will not make you feel better if you visit there now, but it will make you poorer); rather take a new hobby, or go on a holiday to Thailand and challenge yourself, have new stories to tell (but do not return married!).

And once you're over it and have learnt to speak fluent French, you can woo one of my pretty sisters in law, who wouldn't mind marrying a kind, generous, goodlooking 30 something guy with a 60k salary Smile
0 Replies

vstrong

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:24 pm
its 6 figures (as in 100k+)...not 60k!! hahaha....but I don't need to be with anyone for awhile...i need to get myself up off the floor and and move on.....

I'm going to start a new thread as things have changed drastically since the thread started.....
0 Replies