Dinner Party Guest List--Any Ten People Who Ever Lived

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 10:51 am
something surprizing 2 me (and it shouldn't b) i'm finding, is that people of all religions have a rich warm sense of humour, it's the religions that don't.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 10:56 am
True indeed BoGoWo. Personally, I believe that humour, even politically incorrect humour, should be an equalizer among people, not a divider.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:01 am
While I am on the topic, humorists for a dinner party of 10:

Lenny Bruce
Joe Rogan
George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Jim Florentine
Emo Philips
Jim Carrey, pre-ego
Any Wayans brother
Sam Kinison
Robin Williams, while he was still on cocaine, or John Belushi, seeing as the list is living or dead
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:13 am
i'm tiffed that you didn't invite me, and surprised that you aren't included!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:19 am
We are hosts, then. Hosts by nature do not get invites, they send them, of course.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:37 am
i hope you don't mean "hosts" as in biologically speaking - they usually get consumed Shocked

Genetically modified chicken lays in its own dipping sauce.
Oops, i think i hear my life calling..........
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:44 pm
Nope, not biologically, phew! Only food shall be consumed.

Also it's "lays own dipping sauce" not "in it's own dipping sauce", as in instead of an egg. Sheesh! Back to life myself....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:15 pm
Cav, Emo Philips? Hey, it's your list. I shouldn't be making judgments. And sense of humor is an individual thing. Still, Emo Philips?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:19 pm
Emo Philips, or Chaucer. It's a toss-up Laughing I would like to hear the big G.C. explain his theory that puns are the lowest form of humour but toilet humour apparently isn't, or have I remembered The Miller's Tale wrong? Actually, I wonder what Chaucer would have thought of Emo lines like "something caught my eye and dragged it 15 feet." That would be some conversation. Smile
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:20 pm
My humor list would have to include Jack Parr, Jack Kerouac and George Burns w/Gracie Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:20 pm
Plus, with a room full of comics, you need someone to throw pies at.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:27 pm
Now you have two jobs cav Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:30 pm
Cav, A choice between Emo and Geoffrey? Well, if you need someone to throw pies at, Emo is a good target. I had considered Chaucer for my funny guests list. I can't remember who edged him out.

BillW, Burns and Allen. And Jack Paar. Definitely more than a few laughs. But Jack Kerouac? Was he funny?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:34 pm
From what I hear (neaver met the man, but saw him once on the Johnny Carson Show, he was very, very drunk - I was a kid and could tell it) - but I heard him and his good buddy Wm F. Buckley would sit around and were a riot together. I found "On the Road" to be very humorous! Paar and Kerouac would get along famously, I think. Social humor is my favorite.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:57 pm
Kerouac was a brilliant writer, I am a fan, but he was a pretty angry drunk in later life. I liked Allen Ginsberg too, and as a teen I went to Buffalo to see him read on his 'White Shroud' tour. It just so happened we were both eating in the same restaurant, so I had him sign my copies of Howl and White Shroud, which I conveniently brought with me.

Me: "Mr. Ginsberg?"
Him: "Hi, you're cute, what can I do for you?"
Me: "Umm, I'm a big fan, could you sign my books?"
Him: "Sure." (Allen spends time doodling in and signing books)
Me: "Thanks, looking forward to the reading."

At the event: Allen reads 'Student Love' whilst looking at me the whole time (we had very good seats). Creeped me out. So...no room for the Beat Poets at my table, too high-maintenence.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:03 pm
Once upon a time I was at a party in the South Bronx to which Ginsburg had also been invited. He was late because he had just come from a taping of an interview with William F. Buckley which was to air that very evening. He spent the evening glued to the TV set, watching himself, and shushing anybody who came near. High maintenance, maybe. Gigantic ego, definitely.

I met Kerouac a couple of times, socially. We had a mutual friend, Lucian Carr. I don't think Kerouac was a mean drunk so much as an anti-social one. He would disappear within himself when drinking and if you were smart yoiu didn't try to pull him out.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:08 pm
Thanks for the memories, cav and Merry!!!!!!!!!!

errrr, can we just get the Jack and Allen of 1945 or so?

Guess we should have Cassady also. Might as well make it a beat table, put Richard Farina at the table also. James Dean, Marlon Brando -

Call it the High Maintenance Table!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:21 pm
And not a single woman there! Smile
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:30 pm
Carolyn Cassady for sure - how about Joan Baez, and Mimi Farina also. So, now the High Maintenance (Beat) Table looks like:

Jack Kerouac
Richard Farina and Mimi
Joan Baez (Mimi's sister and she can sing for us too!)
Neal Cassady and Carolyn
Marlon Brando
James Dean
Allen Ginsburg
Jack Paar

Eva, women were the slots I hadn't filled before. Thanks for bringing it up! Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:39 pm
BillW wrote "...women were the slots I hadn't filled before..."

Hmmmmm...
0 Replies