Dinner Party Guest List--Any Ten People Who Ever Lived

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:00 pm
If god will come, cancel all the other 'reservations.' LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:49 am
BillW, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never thought Vinnie was contagious. I just didn't want to sit next to someone so, well, nutty. This would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I wouldn't want to blow it on someone who was incoherent. As for God as a guest, if one believes that the almighty is omniscient and omnipresent, wouldn't he or she be there--invited or not? Fact is, I wouldn't have a clue what to serve the deity. A real challenge for the cook.

Algis and Nimh, Care to tell us why you've chosen whom you've chosen? Also, Nimh, I've never heard of some of your guests. Please enlighten me. Are they all musicians?

Thanks, Rae. You didn't haveta if you didn't wanna. But I'm glad you did.

Andy, I've limited the guest list to ten because this forces you to be really selective. If there was no limit to the number of guests, you'd have Moses and Abraham. And I would have invited Mark Twain, Paul Newman, Noah, Eleanor Roosevelt, Harry Truman, my father, the first human, and some distant ancestor or other. I also would have included some dear, departed pets, even though the thread is supposed to include only people. However, I you want to make up a list of five stand-bys, I would not object.

I continue to find the choices fascinating. I think they say something about us. Some lists are skewed in one direction or another. Music, politics, spirituality, literature, etc. And I'm learning about people I never heard of. Thanks, all.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:25 pm
1. Freud
2. Madam Curie
3. Einstein
4. Marilyn Monroe
5. Ernie Banks
6. Abe Lincoln
7. Rosaland Franklin
8. Rosa Parks
9. Mother Teresa
10.Either Adam or Eve from the Genesis chapter of the Bible
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:39 pm
NH, Adam and Eve, heh? I prefer to go to the big guy himself/herself. Wink ci.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:42 pm
Well, I just may drop one in favor of Zeus.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 01:52 pm
I think c.i. was speaking of Vince Lollbardi Smile
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 02:18 pm
Ok. Roberta says we can a reserve team to cover emergencies.

so my 1 >>> 10 reserves are....................................

#1 the district attorney.
coz you never know

#2 the police commisioner
coz you never know

#3 the head of the local mob branch
coz you never know

#4 the CEO of local branch of murder inc
coz you never know

#5 pliable doctor, licenced or not
coz you never know

#6 my cousin vinny
coz you never know

#7 the man in the black suit and the bulge in
his shoulder and who follows me around
coz you never know

#8 the bartender at the pub next to
the police station, for the grapevine/gossip/little whispers
coz you never know

#9 the head of the city/town council
coz you never know

#10 the state senator
coz you never know
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
Very Happy Razz Laughing Cool Wow, oak, that's another "Street Scene"....

ah, Mz.Rae. Thank you. I don't eat much and I'm not opposed to finger food...and I would like to invite everyone at Cocoa plus all the ones you mentioned in addition. Need HCE and Bi-Polar to provide some LIVE entertainment.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:30 pm
Wow ! What a question.
Hmmmmmm, lots of thinking time went into this list.

1. Richard Feynman : Physicist. An incredibly engaging person. I could spend lifetimes talking to this guy.

2. Paul Erdos : Mathematician. Just so I could worship at the altar of supreme intellect. He was also a complete wacko.

3. Danny Carey : Drummer with the band TOOL. So I could lock him in my basement and learn everything he has inside his drumming brain.

4. Alison : A very old girlfriend. So I could apologise.

5. Whoever decided that religion was a good idea. So I could snuff out their life for the good of all humankind then, now and in the future.

6. Nakor : A character from some of Raymond E.Feist's books.

7. Bill Ward : Drummer with Black Sabbath. One of my heroes and a massive influence on me.

8. M.C. Escher. So I could find out what his motivations were.

9. Bilinda Butcher : Singer with My Bloody Valentine, I love this lassie's voice. Melts my mind completely.

10. Dave P : An old friend who I love dearly and have foolishly managed to loose contact with.

Actually there a so many more people that I'd be having dinner parties for months.
And some of them haven't been born yet. I'd love to have the person who finally produces music that makes everyone cry.

There'd be no point in me inviting god etc... They'll get what's coming to them soon enough. Might as well allow them the luxury of a little more time.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:46 pm
This is a great thread -- what a great bunch of parties we've got here! Diane, good point about the Virgin Mary -- poor girl. I'll sit her next to Mick at my party -- between him and Ben Franklin, she should do well at making up for lost time! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:46 pm
edgar, Zeus? And why not?

oldandknew, There's nothing like being prepared for any possibility.

helio, Interesting idea. To apologize to an old girl friend. And to find an old friend. Have you tried to find the old friend? An old friend of mine recently found me. It's great to pick up where we left off.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:13 pm
Roberta wrote:
Algis and Nimh, Care to tell us why you've chosen whom you've chosen? Also, Nimh, I've never heard of some of your guests. Please enlighten me. Are they all musicians?

Well, I kinda meant to summarize all of the "why" in that last line: "let talk be rowdy, flirts be explicit, bottles go flying and fights be instant raw poetry, yeh." Hey, I never said the selection was about a thoughtful concept. These people together would simply make a, ahem, interesting and lively evening, heh.

The who:

johnny rotten, lead singer of the sex pistols (epitomal punk band, london 1977)
john cooper clarke punk singer turned spoken word performance artist (or whatever), mostly very witty, and very british.
bez from the happy mondays (the guy on stage who didnt play any instrument) err, like it says - bez was the one standing on stage flapping his arms around or jangling some maracas - the happy mondays were one of those manchester bands that crossed over between indie and rave. Bez was E.
iggy pop iggy pop is iggy pop. "lust for life"
george clinton fun(k) genius
lee "scratch" perry dub magician - taking reggea to the parallel dimensions of deep, weird and laid-back
jim "cert" horacek czech "folk" singer. very ... basement pub. kinda.
screamin' jay hawkins ok, perhaps i should just give up on the description thing altogether ...
bessie smith you know her. blues singer. brilliant.
josephine baker blues/jazz singer, film star, legend, pretty.
bjork (back when she was cute, more rebellious pixie than vanity diva) - and einar, too i liked bjork when she was in the sugarcubes, not so now, cause of see description. einar was her sidekick in the sugracubes, her loud counterpart, big bald guy, juming around stage energetically bawling out really cute lyrics.
manu chao formerly in fun-ethno-punk band mano negra, then made it big with two cds of his own, as subtle as they are fun. totally original and hybrid mix of styles and sources and languages, french, spanish, arab, gypsy .. got his heart in the right place (politically), and also, reputedly, really nice guy (and according to the girls really cute, too).
jack kerouac beat poet (etc)
billy childish kinda the americana version of john cooper clarke.

oh, and i forgot flavor flav. and pictures, the list is supposed to come with pictures! <grins>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:12 pm
LibertyD. LOL She's bound to have a good time!

Rae, sweetie, a2kers are the best. Any dinner party with them will be a success, especially if you are in the group. Of course, I didn't know until I met you that you could be quite so racy!!!!........

Roberta, let's make sure these parties are video taped.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:16 am
Nimh, Thanks for coming back and enlightening poor know-nothing me. In fact, I recognized a few names. Precious few. There's no question that your party will be wild.

Diane, Videotaping? Oh, why not? Like I'm not already up to my ears in catering difficulties. This one doesn't eat this, and that one doesn't eat that. You'd think that dead people (referring only to guests who are dead) would be a little less picky about the menu.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:48 am
Ronerta -- at least with Moses and Abraham we didn't have to worry about serving kosher. The dietary rules didn't come in until after Moses went up on the mountain. Oh, that's right. Did you have a probelm with Moses? Abe ate everything I put forth and asked for more roast camel.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:18 am
Wouldn't feeding the dead be easy? Try Ambrosia and Mana Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:18 am
Roast camel??? Andy, it seems like you're overdoing it in the accommodating department. At my party, everybody gets the same food. Like it or lump it. Not all that gracious of me. But I'm sure that my guests will be happy with whatever I serve.

No, I don't have a problem with Moses. I just have some basic questions for him. I want to know about the burning bush, the frogs, the bloody water, the boils, the Red Sea. And I want to know what the voice of God sounds like. I also want to know why God didn't just release the slaves if he or she thought they should be freed. Why make such a production out of it? Although I'm sure that Cecil B. DeMille wouldn't have liked the idea.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:44 am
I'm starting to plan my second dinner party. Will let you know the guest list soon. Maybe a themed party this time? Invite an affinity group? Mulling it over now. <mull, mull, mull?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 09:06 am
What an eclectic collection of characters & cohorts we've chosen for our epicurean cusine demolition course. If any of these distinguished people get out of hand, turn moody and get the 'ump, I think they should be made to do all the dish washing and make the kitchen totaly spic and span.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:04 pm
ci:

If Adam and Eve come, maybe we'll have Figleaf salad! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies