Dinner Party Guest List--Any Ten People Who Ever Lived

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 01:42 pm
One minor point of order, Santuzza. Geronimo did not die 'a free man.' He was confined at the Ft. Sill Military Resrvation in Oklahoma for years after finally surrendering to the Army in the late 1880s. He raised watermelons at Ft. Sill and was quite proud of his abilities as a melon farmer. I believe he even visited Washington, DC at one point. Not sure of this, but there is a photo of him in a very early 'horseless carriage.' He did die a natural death, though.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 01:46 pm
geronimo died in 1909 a ward of the army at ft sill oklahoma (he fell off his horse)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 01:52 pm
Did he yell 'geronimo' on the way down though?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
And he was in Washington in 1905, participating in the Presidential inaugural parade at the specific request and invitation of Teddy Roosevelt. He wore a top hat for the photo ops.
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:13 pm
Thanks for the info, guys. I knew he was no longer forced to labor, and could pretty much do as he pleased, although still living at Sills.

What a way to pass over, huh? We should all be so fortunate.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:21 pm
http://goodies.freeservers.com/geronimo.jpg
to kick off at age 80 by falling off a horse seems to me like a good way to die
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:22 pm
Amen. (Although I'm hoping to be shot dead at age 85 by a jealous husband. Smile )
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:28 pm
in bed with his wife
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:47 pm
Pittka ~ yep Laughing

Cav ~ you're right! Jesus hung out with all types of people, played sports with his buds (just enough guys to form a team (12) plus he was a carpenter (and in his time, carpenters earned a better than average wage). Nothing much is written (that we know of) before his ministry, but we do know his affiliations were not only with the poor and disadvantaged, but with the wealthy and affluent (they just didn't happen to be Romans or the fundamentalists of the day).
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:08 pm
Gosh, he sure doesn't look too happy does he. The pic was probably taken about the time of his divorce - or he could've been eyeing the guy responsible... tsk tsk
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:13 pm
My grandfather (who was a young man at the time) saw Geronimo at Ft. Sill around 1900. According to the story my father passed down, "Pappy" said it just wasn't right...Geronimo was a proud man, and worthy of respect. He didn't "take to" confinement well, either. Apparently a lot of people traveled to Ft. Sill just to see him in those days. An early-day tourist attraction. Sad.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:52 pm
Santuzza, Thanks for the additional info. I knew far less about Geronimo than I know now. I have one concern about having Jesus as a dinner guest. If the other guests are Christian, they might be just a tad intimidated and inhibited by his presence.

Cav, You are incorrigible. Did Geronimo yell Geronimo? LOL.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:54 pm
Cav's incorrigibility is a four plus attribute!
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 03:26 pm
Roberta ~ Geronimo was quite an extrodinary man. One of the reasons for his detainment was the army was concerned Geronimo could easily gather a new war council. Plus, Apache strategies were studied in depth by the army after Geronimo was taken prisoner.

Jesus would probably be interested in what Christians were thinking - especially since his teachings were the catalist for the Christian religion - even though 40 years after his death. Can you just imagine how many questions we'd be asking him? That settles it. The dinner is now a banquet lasting several days Smile

Eva, Geronimo's life on the run and in prison was very sad - but what they couldn't take from him was his dignity. Your "pappy" was fortunate to have met him.

Dys ~ what happened to Geronimo's picture?
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 03:27 pm
Why does the date say I'm posting tomorrow instead of today?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 03:48 pm
The server has been messing up all afternoon. I consider it a miracle that it is still up!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:46 pm
Santuzza, The date looks right to me. It must have adjusted itself.

I wonder if Geronimo and other Native American leaders are taught in schools these days. They certainly weren't when I was in school.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:53 pm
My only concern about having Jesus at the table is that I suspect he would try to steal the silverware...that and the whole 'last supper' vibe he brings to an occasion.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 10:25 am
cav; i have 2 admit i like the abusive way your mind "works".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 10:48 am
Well, BoGoWo, Slappy's humour is getting tired, so...Laughing

How about Jesus, a jug of water and/or wine, and 9 money lenders? Now that would be a riot! (I get the feeling I will have to apologize to both the Catholics and Jews in my family now...)
0 Replies