Dinner Party Guest List--Any Ten People Who Ever Lived

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
You cheated BBB...just for that you won't be at my soiree...until after Vidal and Fuller have left.

WAAAAAGH!
BBB
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:20 pm
Rough and Rugged....

Hell yeah, that would be one helluva party. And too much fun!

Ohh, I can think of more..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:32 pm
bbb, I can count. You gotta do some paring. Also, I'm curious to know why you've chosen whom you've chosen.

I did some rereading. Not as staunch as Osso. I got to page 18 and pooped out.

Would I still pick the same people I picked in my first list (and my second)? Dunno. Gotta rethink things.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:25 pm
Roberta
Roberta wrote:
bbb, I can count. You gotta do some paring. Also, I'm curious to know why you've chosen whom you've chosen.

I did some rereading. Not as staunch as Osso. I got to page 18 and pooped out.

Would I still pick the same people I picked in my first list (and my second)? Dunno. Gotta rethink things.

Roberta, can't you just put an extra leaf or two in the table so I don't have to eliminate anyone?

I already eliminated Claude Debussey because, even though I'm fascinated by his impressionistic music, I've read his biography and he was not very social. I also eliminated American-Indian artist Sam Sam Burros because I know nothing about her except I love her paintings.

If I have to boot them out, I guess I would eliminate my A2K friends because I can talk to them anytime, not just at your table.

BumbleBeeBoogie's 10 dinner guests would have to include:

1. Eric Hoffer: He is a pragmatic philosopher with common sense.

2. Gore Vidal: For his charm and great conversation.

3. Maya Angelou: I met Maya in the 1970s in Berkeley and worked on projects with her. Would be fun to talk to her again now that she's famous. I wonder if she would remember me from so long ago.

4. Vassily Kandinski: I like his paintings, but not the one's he's most famous for. My favorite is: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/liberal_arts/foreign/russian/art/kandinsky-woman.html

5. (I count them as one because they collaberated on the book and the film.) K. Boeke and Philip and Phylis Morrison: These three opened my mind to the size of the universe and space.
http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/cosmicview/

6. Julia Child: She funny, a great cook, and she's funny.

7. Buckminster Fuller: I'm always curious about the mind of a genius.

8. Garry Trudeau: One of three of my favorite cartoonists. Funny and smart and, above all, relevant with Doonesbury.

9. Wiley Miller: He is a brilliant cartoonist with the most amazing imagination. I want to know if he's as funny and as smart as his Non Sequitur cartoons.

10. Lynn Johnston: Her cartoon series "For Better or for Worse" is the most real fictious family I've ever found. I read it every day as if they were real people in my neighborhood.

Ok, I got it down to 10. Now will everybody quit their bitchin? :wink:

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
Well, I had eleven, but I sent John McPhee to buy California cheeses. Besides, as I remember, Farmerman has a beef with him about this and that. Maybe I need Farmerman at my dinner, in which case I need to knock someone else off.
Back in a bit with a copy of my list so I can talk about it and amend as it occurs, so I can drive Roberta crazy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:45 pm
Here's my post at such and such time on July 15, 2003 -

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcus Aurelius
Benvenuto Cellini
Goethe
Mark Twain
John McPhee
William Trevor

knock out Alexander VI

Lucrezia Borgia
Fanny Kemble Butler
Mary Taylor Simeti
Jane Kramer
Michelle McQueen Martin

These people are in the garden and I have to give one male a mission that will involve missing dinner.

I should explain that I have a revisionist view of Lucrezia, having read a biography on her by Rosalind Bernier. On Fanny Kemble, I found another link that I like better than the first one, this one makes more sense re her diary, which my ex read very thoroughly - (edit to say, and we talked about at length re his screenplay that didn't get produced)
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p1569.html

On the men, I am partial to Marcus and to Benvenuto, since they made me understand that history, years ago, wasn't so far away from me, now.
Goethe, he is the one I might send to the spas in California, but no, no, he should talk with Jane.

And Mary Taylor Simeti should talk with William Trevor. Lucrezia and Benvenuto. John McPhee. Maybe I will send him to some towns on the San Andreas Fault, to pick up some good cheese.

(knock off quote)

Ah, I only want to add more. Farmerman, of course, and Cav, who posted often at least until page thirty - I miss him so much.
I see I forgot Jane Jacobs, who I'd like to hear bat words with Jane Kramer.

Sigh.

They are all gathered with their aperitivi over on the western lawn...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
I'm guessing that Gus and I would have dinner with me and Gus because we are the only ones that know good taste is timeless.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:20 pm
Oh, are you the only ones?

Suspecting defamation of taste as concept will appear soon..

which reminds me of an old boss who said, not kidding, style is everything.

He was more right than wrong at first glance.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:51 pm
I had considered some of the most evil people in the world like Hitler, Pol Pot or Saddam Husein, but decided that they were unable to tell the truth. No way would I sit at a table with evil egomaniacs and listen to them defend their lives for hours on end.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:35 pm
Diane, Just include me; promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me satan...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:16 am
Put Captain Underpants at the head of the table Diane...
that will solve ALL your problems. ;-)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:40 am
Piffka wrote:
I'd just want a nice dinner party with some after-dinner music. I've seen interviews and thought they were pleasant and funny or else somebody has told me they were. We really need a drummer... there was an a2k guy who said he was a drummer. We'll take him, too. (Guess that'd make it eleven!) I'd want to invite Letty and Squeedleboink, too.

Yo Yo Ma -- well, I like him. His Smile.
Lyle Lovett -- he needs to get out more. From Texas.
Leo Kottke -- wonder if his voice really sounds like goose farts. Nostalgia.
Joni Mitchell -- hope she'll sing some songs. Blue.
Dolly Parton -- she's funny & the guys will love her. Tits.
Bonnie Raitt -- we need another guitarist. I think she'd be friendly. Radio.
Hugh Masakela -- I dunno, I like him. He'd have a good time. Foreign.
Graham Norton -- he's really funny, will keep the party hopping. Brit.
Carlos Nakai -- I'm sure he'd like to play a little. Soloist.
Wynton Marsalis -- I'd like to hear him play Taps. Smart.
Maria Muldaur -- She's about my age & is into blues now. Cool.

Interesting to look back at these. I still like my dinner party but would change it a little. I'm tired of Graham Norton, for one thing. I know a musician whose first name is Candy... think I'd want her there now, too. Have to drop Maria and add Joan Baez for her politics and clear voice.

Here's my quickly thought out and entirely new party... for poetry:

Theodore Roethke -- I'd want to talk to him about the Bloedels
Sara Teasdale -- to see if she'd get along with
Edna St.V. Millay -- to recite her works
Shakespeare -- to compose a sonnet for me and answer some questions!
Pablo Naruda -- to keep everyone calm
Coleman Barks to translate
Hafiz! for his ecstasy
Lalla for her dancing and I think Ted would like her... a lot.
Emily Dickinson for
Jjorge -- 'cause it would be nice to see him meet E.D.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:33 pm
C,i., your invited any time! The whole truth? Don't you like a little mystery?? Well maybe, promise not to tell>

Piffka, that is a dinner party for the muses. Wonderful.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:20 am
BBB, Thanks for reducing (to 10) and expanding (the whys).

Osso, Trying to drive me crazy is a waste of time. I'm already driven. Thanks for the list. You're inviting some tres interesting people. (As is BBB. As are most folks.)

Piffka, Liked your first list. Like the changes. Very musical.

Dys, Dinner for two. That's it? Two?

Diane, Haven't been around for a while. When did you become a boid, avatarilly speaking?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 10:41 am
Hi Boidy, I became a boid when I was tired of being Annie Oakley; besides, I think Dys was getting worried...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 10:47 am
Diane, Do I need to wear my horns to the party?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:07 pm
Roberta wrote:
BBB, Thanks for reducing (to 10) and expanding (the whys).

Osso, Trying to drive me crazy is a waste of time. I'm already driven. Thanks for the list. You're inviting some tres interesting people. (As is BBB. As are most folks.)

Piffka, Liked your first list. Like the changes. Very musical.

Dys, Dinner for two. That's it? Two?

Diane, Haven't been around for a while. When did you become a boid, avatarilly speaking?

Musical and Muse-ical, that's what I thought.
0 Replies

viva chiapas

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:39 am
1) subcomandante marcos: if you don't know who he is look him up. not only a wonderful leader of a revolution and one of the great social conscience's of our time, but an immensely witty and humourous man. also a very talented writer.

2) che guevara: reasons should be obvious. he was a great man with great ideals.

3)albert camus: author of "the outsider" and outspoken critic of france's imperialistic activities in algeria after world war 2. fantastic writer.

4)paulo coehlo: author of "the alchemist". read it and you will understand.

5)ken saro wiwa: nigerian writer and activist who was executed for opposing Shell for exploiting the lands of the Ogoni people, their environmental destruction and human rights abuses. look him up.

6)jim morrison: lead singer of the doors. singer, songwriter, poet. wonderful in his wackiness.

7)bob dylan. again the reason should be obvious. in my opinion one of the best songwriters of all time.

8)friedrich nietzsche: the greatest mind of the 19th century

9)pablo neruda: chilean poet. author of my favourite poem.

10)eduardo galeano: uruguayan historian and author of "upside down". a very funny and witty essayist and writer.

this list is in no particular order
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:33 am
viva chiapas, Wecome to a2k. And thanks for your guest list. You've got some heavy-duty thinkers and people of principle. Tres impressive. I might invite myself along to your dinner. Maybe I can be a serving person?
0 Replies

viva chiapas

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:42 am
of course you may come Roberta, but i would not neglect you to the role of serving person. you may be the guest of honour, for your courteous welcome Very Happy
0 Replies