Gun Control

Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:36 pm
For or against, and why?

...from another thread...

real life wrote:

Quote:
So , if you think 'gunless' societies can protect freedom as well as the US has, maybe you'd better research it and find an example that even comes close.

Hint: You won't find one.

Gun ownership in the home does not automatically mean armed forces are more effective, and even if it did, the cost would not be worth it.

Quote:
"Each day, 10 children and teens are killed by firearms, and that is 10 too many," said HHS Secretary Donna E. Shalala. "However, it is significant that the number is down 35 percent from 4 years ago. This indicates that violence prevention efforts are showing results. But we all know how far we still have to go to protect our young people from gun deaths and injuries." The age-adjusted death rate from firearms was 11.3 deaths per 100,000 population in 1998

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/00news/finaldeath98.htm

..contrast with..

Quote:
By 2002/03, Australia's rate of 0.27 firearm-related homicides per 100,000 population had dropped to one-fifteenth that of the United States.
The authors conclude that "The Australian example provides evidence that removing large numbers of firearms from a community can be associated with a sudden and on-going decline in mass shootings, and accelerating declines in total firearm-related deaths, firearm homicides and firearm suicides."

http://www.usyd.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=1502
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,345 • Replies: 129
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:57 pm
For gun control, my own control of the gun, that is. I have a gun & a CCW, I carry & would not hesitate to pull the trigger to protect me or mine. My husbnad has....more than one gun. We don't pretend to use them for sport nor target practice only, we bought them for self protection & in this area of south Texas, 2 hours from the US/mexico border....
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:26 pm
How many people have you needed to shoot so far?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:15 am
Oh, this looks like it might be fun - mind if I watch?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:29 am
By all means Very Happy

You ain't gonna weigh in ... ?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:39 am
Eorl wrote:
How many people have you needed to shoot so far?

That would be telling, wouldn't it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:46 am
Maybe tomorrow.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:47 am
Well, that shuts that avenue down quite nicely. Confused

OK then, the vast difference between the number of gun deaths per 100 000 in Australia v USA...do you think that's Mexico's fault?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:49 am
Eorl wrote:

OK then, the vast difference between the number of gun deaths per 100 000 in Australia v USA...do you think that's Mexico's fault?

I wouldn't think so, what a strange question.
Now if you want to compare the murders between say Boston & Laredo, texas, yes, for the biggest part, it is Mexicos fault.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:04 am
Eorl wrote:
By all means Very Happy

You ain't gonna weigh in ... ?

Oh, I've weighed in on this subject more than a few times over the years at A2K - HERE, for example, and HERE, also THIS and THIS, and there are plenty of others I'm too lazy right now to chase down - dunno what else I might add at this point; I think my position is unqualifiedly unambiguous.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:29 am
Eorl wrote:

Are you Australian? I don't believe they had our equivilant to the 2nd Amendment, do or did they?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:28 am
Quote:
Gun deaths halved in past 10 years
By Shane Wright
January 3, 2004

http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1072908910347_2004/01/02/0301a4,0.gif

Guns killed more than 5000 people in Australia in the past decade. Nine out of 10 of the victims were male and most of them killed themselves.

The number of deaths caused by firearms dropped almost 50 per cent between 1991 and 2001, with the biggest yearly fall in deaths coming after the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.

A report by the Australian Institute of Criminology released yesterday found that the number of deaths caused by guns each year dropped to 333 in 2001 from 629 in 1991.

The biggest single form of firearm death was suicide, accounting for 3930 fatalities out of a total of 5083 studied. The number fell from 505 in 1991 to 261 in 2001.

Men were the victims of 4586 firearm deaths, women were victims of 497 - 261 of which were recorded as homicide.

Homicides dropped to 47 in 2001 from 84 in 1991, accidental deaths dropped to 18 from 29, while other forms of firearm deaths slipped to seven from 11.

The biggest drop in deaths followed Port Arthur, when Martin Bryant murdered 35 people with a military-style weapon.

After the massacre, tough gun laws were enacted across Australia, specifically targeting military-style weapons, which resulted in hundreds of thousands of weapons being destroyed.

In 1996, 521 people died from gun-inflicted wounds, while in 1997 this dropped to 437.

State and federal governments agreed in late 2002 on new laws aimed at restricting access to handguns. Last July import controls were increased.

Hunting rifles consistently accounted for the largest number of deaths, followed by shotguns, while the use of handguns has increased. The number of times a hunting rifle was implicated in a death dropped to 76 in 2001 from 282 in 1991. Shotgun deaths dropped from 133 to 54 but handgun deaths increased from 29 in 1991 to 49 in 2001.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:29 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I don't believe they had our equivilant to the 2nd Amendment, do or did they?

No
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:50 am
From my experience on A2K the Aussies lack more than just a concept of a 2nd amendment...

IMO every person should be taught gun safety in school, rather than the ridiculous liberal mantra that guns are bad.

If guns kill people, where are mine hiding all the bodies?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:22 am
cjhsa wrote:
From my experience on A2K the Aussies lack more than just a concept of a 2nd amendment...

IMO every person should be taught gun safety in school, rather than the ridiculous liberal mantra that guns are bad.

We know exactly what the second amendment means. We also know that it's a throwback to war of independence days. You still possess a national paranoia that the "British are coming", and that you need to protect yourself. Since Australia gained it's indepedence through peaceful means, we're a not a nation borne out of anger, and hence don't see the need for every idiot to be granted the right to carry a weapon. Some of the people I've seen chanting the gun mantra on these forums, are so disturbed that they shouldn't be allowed in the same state as a gun.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:40 am
Wilso wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

We know exactly what the second amendment means. We also know that it's a throwback to war of independence days. You still possess a national paranoia that the "British are coming", and that you need to protect yourself. Since Australia gained it's indepedence through peaceful means, we're a not a nation borne out of anger, and hence don't see the need for every idiot to be granted the right to carry a weapon. Some of the people I've seen chanting the gun mantra on these forums, are so disturbed that they shouldn't be allowed in the same state as a gun.

I was deployed with the Aussie military in Afghanistan and Pakistan and most of them don't feel the way you do. They want the right to carry guns for what ever reason. The vast majority of Aussies and Americans are responsible enough to have fire arms and not hurt themselves or others. Why govt's feel the need to "protect" the people when we are all adults is beyond me.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:43 am
You was with soldiers who wanted the right to carry guns? Doi doi doi. What a huge friggin surprise. Now there's a balanced cross section of the Australian community. Glad to see your research has been so thorough.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:45 am
I think everyone should have the right to own a weapon, and that there should be rules regulating ownership.

I see the arguments of some about the potential for losing that right as hysterical and borderline demented.

The only real room for disagreement in my mind is about where to draw the line for private ownership. Some here want that to be totally unregulated; that one should be free to buy what one can afford, and that the market will provide whatever governing is needed.

That's where I see the real potential for madness - because I'm sure if it were allowed, there would be some idiot in rural USA purchasing WMDs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:48 am
I've seen people on these forums assume all sorts of personas to meet or defeat a particular agenda. Rarely do those personas reflect on the persons true opinion.

Many here hate me but at least I am a real person who posts what he thinks. I am not an invention of the Internet.

Guns in the hands of criminals is an international problem, certainly not confined to the U.S. Telling law abiding citizens that they cannot defend themselves and their families is a crime against humanity in its own right. We already have gun control in the U.S., but liberals like to knee-jerk and create more assenine laws whenever something bad happens.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:58 am
Wilso wrote:
You was with soldiers who wanted the right to carry guns? Doi doi doi. What a huge friggin surprise. Now there's a balanced cross section of the Australian community. Glad to see your research has been so thorough.

It wasn't just the military side they were talking about. Most of them liked to hunt or just target shoot. I don't see an issue with that. If it is for home protection I also don't see an issue with that either.

On a side note, I'm going to be taking my CCW class in the coming new year. Just wanted you A2K's out there who plan on coming to the Denver Metro area to know that once that happens the steets of Denver will be that much safer.

I think I can handle it. I walked around with a loaded weapon for a year and didn't hurt anyone so I think I'm good to go.
0 Replies