Will Bush ever be punished?

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:54 am
IT'S UNDER THE ROSE BUSH, MR. BLIX.

So now we have some Iraqi scientist who digs up some parts for a centrifuge from under a rose bush in his back yard. Centrifuge? Yeah … those things you use to make fuel for a nuclear weapon. It seems Saddam's son ordered the scientist to bury the parts many years ago. Now we're waiting for Hans Blix to explain why he didn't go digging in this man's backyard when he had his wonderful team of U.N. inspectors in Iraq.

Seriously … this shows why the inspections were virtually useless. It also illustrates why U.S. forces haven't turned up Saddam's nasty weapons yet. We've all heard of the thousands of gallons of this and that Saddam had. You won't read this in the New York Times, but the totality of all of the chemical and biological weapons material Saddam admitted to having would fit into one good-sized hotel swimming pool. Now … go out there and find THAT in a country the size of California.

We probably won't find out what happened to these weapons until the people with direct knowledge of those weapons come forward. As long as Saddam is out there, or as long as they think he may be preparing for his comeback tour, most of these people are going to keep their lips zipped.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:27 am
Aha, so we went to war over a centrifuge.

Jeez, you woulda thunk someone woulda mentioned that before the war.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:32 am
No no Frank! The point was to have war, justify later. Thankfully increasingly numbers of voters are catching on to that formula and even making jokes about justifications for Syria, Iran, and North Korea on talk shows. Even rightwing talk shows. The secret is out. The "legacy" is going to have a legacy he likely doesn't want!

Ridicule is a powerful weapon.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:39 am
Are you guys being purposefully thick? Or do you not actually understand the implication of the latest find?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:41 am
Not just any centrifuge, Frank.

One diassembled and buried for twelve years in a professor's backyard.

Probably about the size of a lunchbox; every university chemistry department in the United States has one (or more than one). And even in Iraq--which is, after all, the size of California--there were probably centrifuges at the universities there.

What about those evil sacks of castor beans? 300 of them, sinisterly labeled 'fertilizer'.

Castor beans are used to make deadly ricin.

And even deadlier castor oil.

And documents. Plans. "Millions" of documents.

Hundreds of American soldiers sacrificed their lives to make us safer from 300 sacks of castor beans.

Thousands of Iraqi civilians--men, women, children--died in the crossfire because of a twelve-year-old centifuge buried in someone's backyard.

Bush is going to have to explain this some day--to the people of the world, to the American electorate, and to his Lord.

And will be punished for it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:50 am
McGentrix wrote:
Are you guys being purposefully thick? Or do you not actually understand the implication of the latest find?

Are WE being thick, McG????????????????????
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:52 am
McGentrix wrote:

Apparently the latter, McG. But keep trying--your tenacity is an inspiration to many of us...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:10 am
I'd say wonder, D'art, more than inspiration!!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:25 am
Nah - inspiration. What blind belief! I'm reminded of what the republicans used to say about the democrats - knee-jerk reaction.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:30 am
If that's "tenacity," I want no part of it. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:53 am
Mr. Bush will be praised for his bright strategic finding on how to handle the non-standard situation stemming from the terror threat. When the USSR has disappeared, the USA automatically became the irrevocably strongest in the military aspect country. It became clear that no other country or a union of countries can defeat it, and the enemies changed tactics: they imposed on the Western world led by the USA the Fourth Generation Warfare.
Its characteristics can be briefly described as follows:
Quote:
For about the last 500 years, the West has defined warfare. For a military to be effective it generally had to follow Western models. Because the West's strength is technology, it may tend to conceive of a fourth generation in technological terms.

However, the West no longer dominates the world. A fourth generation may emerge from non-Western cultural traditions, such as Islamic or Asiatic traditions. The fact that some non-Western areas, such as the Islamic world, are not strong in technology may lead them to develop a fourth generation through ideas rather than technology.

The genesis of an idea-based fourth generation may be visible in terrorism. This is not to say that terrorism is fourth generation warfare, but rather that elements of it may be signs pointing toward a fourth generation.

Some elements in terrorism appear to reflect the previously noted "carryovers" from third generation war fare. The more successful terrorists appear to operate on broad mission orders that carry down to the level of the individual terrorist. The 'battlefield" is highly dispersed and includes the whole of the enemy's society. The terrorist lives almost completely off the land and the enemy. Terrorism is very much a matter of maneuver: the terrorist's firepower is small, and where and when he applies it is critical.
Two additional carryovers must be noted as they may be useful "signposts" pointing toward the fourth generation. The first is a component of collapsing the enemy. It is a shift in focus from the enemy's front to his rear. Terrorism must seek to collapse the enemy from within as it has little capability (at least at present) to inflict widespread destruction. First generation warfare focused tactically and operationally (when operational art was practiced) on the enemy's front, his combat forces. Second generation warfare remained frontal tactically, but at least in Prussian practice it focused operationally on the enemy's rear through the emphasis on encirclement The third generation shifted the tactical as well as the operational focus to the enemy's rear. Terrorism takes this a major step further. It attempts to bypass the enemy's military entirely and strike directly at his homeland at civilian targets. Ideally, the enemy's military is simply irrelevant to the terrorist.

and
Quote:
Terrorists use a free society's freedom and openness, its greatest strengths, against it. They can move freely within our society while actively working to subvert it. They use our democratic rights not only to penetrate but also to defend themselves. If we treat them within our laws, they gain many protections; if we simply shoot them down, the television news can easily make them appear to be the victims. Terrorists can effectively wage their form of warfare while being protected by the society they are attacking.[/color]

One more feature of tactics used against the Western civilization by its enemies:
Quote:
Psychological operations may become the dominant operational and strategic weapon in the form of media/information intervention. Logic bombs and computer viruses, including latent viruses, may be used to disrupt civilian as well as military operations. Fourth generation adversaries will be adept at manipulating the media to alter domestic and world opinion to the point where skillful use of psychological operations will sometimes preclude the commitment of combat forces. A major target will be the enemy population's support of its government and the war. Television news may become a more powerful operational weapon than armored divisions.

Mr. Bush decided to defend interests of his nation despite of objection of three fourths of the world population. He did the very simple thing: if the enemy is strong in the warfare of the fourth generation, then the conventional war is to be imposed on it, this will guarantee the enemy's defeat.
Of course, neither bin-Laden nor Saddam have been yet captured, but there were no terror attacks on the U.S. territory since 09/11/02.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:55 am
Well, I was trying to be nice to McG. He seems so ingenuous about how the world works; it's almost touching...
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:44 pm
steissd, the fact is that the US and Israel created the monster they are now locked in mortal combat with. Our "enemies" have legitimate grievances that must be addressed, and this must be done before the situation gets ugly beyond belief.

These people use terrorism because it's the only effective means of waging war for people who are hopelessly outmatched on the military battlefield. It's horrible and I don't condone it, but I can understand how people can be forced into such a desperate situation. (Empathy is a wonderful tool - it's what makes me feel a tinge of regret for the way I treated you yesterday.)

Contrary to popular belief, terrorism isn't something that the Arabs invented. Humiliated, outmatched, angry people have been resorting to it for ages. Somehow we never seem to retain the lessons of history.

There are other ways to solve the problems that we "westerners" have with the rest of the world. Murder isn't the cure for murder. If you like, we can talk about the alternatives.

Ayn Rand wrote in The Virtue of Selfishness, "The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence."

George Bush is clearly an impotent man at the head of an impotent administration, driven by an impotent philosophy.

From Paul Krugman's essay on the 24th:
Quote:
After all, suppose that a politician - or a journalist - admits to himself that Mr. Bush bamboozled the nation into war. Well, launching a war on false pretenses is, to say the least, a breach of trust. So if you admit to yourself that such a thing happened, you have a moral obligation to demand accountability - and to do so in the face not only of a powerful, ruthless political machine but in the face of a country not yet ready to believe that its leaders have exploited 9/11 for political gain. It's a scary prospect.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. I believe that Bush is more of a criminal than Nixon was. He's the smelliest pile of feces to ever inhabit the White House.... and I mean that in a good way Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
[Well, I tried to post a very clever editorial cartoon by Mike Lukovich, but it didn't work...]
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
Applause.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:22 pm
You are telling it like it is, Violet.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:23 pm
And so is Mr. Krugman...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:13 pm
http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/luckovich/2003/images/06132003mike.gif

"Excuses" (Mike Luckovich of the Atlana Journal-Constitution)
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:16 pm
Here's a novel idea for solving the "terrorist" problem:

Give them what they want.

Is that putrid patch of "holy" land worth so much that you're willing to destroy humanity for it? It's not worth it to me, and I hope you never make me choose between your life and mine. Israel has been at war with the Muslim world for my entire life. I resent that the rest of the world is now being pulled into this disgusting, senseless war.

As leaders and role models, we are in a position to cultivate lifelong friends - or enemies. George W. Bush doesn't understand this concept. He is the latest in the line of arrogant imbeciles to lead great empires. I'm convinced that miracles must happen every day that keep him from doing something cosmically stupid.

I hope we don't lose our world so that people like Bush, Sharon, steissd, and max can finally, once and for all time, learn what it is to love humanity... to love life itself.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 05:18 pm
More applause... Violet, please stand up and take a bow!
0 Replies