Should he be punished?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,813 • Replies: 187
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:26 am
Highly unlikely. While I disagree with just about everything he stands for and has done, it would be hard to bring him to justice. Of course, they did go after Clinton on far flimsier grounds, but the system is too well rigged now for Bush to face such a problem...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:28 am
The Q is 'should' he be punished. Yes, definitely. But, will he? As D'Art says, unlikely.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 10:31 am
None of the above.

Is there a middle ground between 'punished' and 'overlooked'? Like maybe 'censured'? It could be he was misguided by advisors, which may not be HIS wrongdoing (except that he hired them).

Unless WMD's are found and/or proof that an attack on the West was imminent, I would not stand in the way of GWB's being impeached. I am upset to think that America would launch a first strike without concrete proof of an immediate threat.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:06 am
How about "guilty of being a shitty President" and "punished by being voted out in 2004"?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:11 am
Getting back to "will Bush ever be punished," the answer is no. By the looks of things, with both houses of congress in his favor, our government will not even allow the investigation. In other words, no chance in hell. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:11 am
....or should that be "when hell freezes over."
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:18 am
Keep in mind though that there is a wildcard in the picture - the media.

If there's anything one can say about Americans in 2003 it's that we love scandals. There's nothing juicier, and more entertaining than the spectacle of the powerful being cut down to size. It doesn't happen only to ex football players and slick democrats.

IMHO, this one has the potential of being the "mother of all scandals". Laughing

We love scandals more than we love phony heroes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:22 am
VL, The media wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole. Not while GWBush enjoys the high performance rating that he does by boths parties. Americans are also ready to forgive Bush for misguiding our country into the war with Iraq from WMD's to "for the Iraqi People." The only "scandals" that Americans now enjoy are movie stars and other leaders of foreign countries. We use to think Teflon Bill. I think Bill had nothing compared to GWBush. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:43 pm
There are no reasons to punish Mr. Bush, he has not committed any criminal offense. As for voting pro or contra, this is not a punishment, but just expression of the free will of people that support or oppose the current President's political stands.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:22 pm
cice, we'll have to wait & see what happens. The media is already starting to dig its claws in, and the performance rating you cite is slipping steadily. I wouldn't expect you to notice though... since you spend all your time traveling, the America you know is as current as a Seinfeld rerun Wink

steissd, you have your head lodged so far up your rectum that you need x-ray vision to use a computer. If you had been a resident of the city of Auschwitz in 1944, you would have been asking "What concentration camps?" I don't think you're stupid though.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:29 pm
V.L., I do not think that rectal references usual for Abuzz reflect the general atmosphere of this forum. Thanks for assumption of my not being stupid (well, my IQ is 138, I have never heard about idiots with such results), but despite of this I believe that Mr. Bush has not breached the U.S. laws to be brought to court of justice. Waging war, by the way, is not a war crime per se; and behavior of the U.S. soldiers in Iraq gives no reasons for accusing their Commander-in-Chief in being a war criminal. Mr. Bush has undertaken an attempt to restore self-respect of the American nation by having showed to all the world that those attacking the USA (plus direct and indirect allies of these attackers) will not remain impune. There is nothing wrong with this.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:53 pm
steissd, consider yourself honored that I even address you at all. I don't make a habit of conversing with propaganda machines.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 02:35 pm
steissd wrote:
Mr. Bush has undertaken an attempt to restore self-respect of the American nation by having showed to all the world that those attacking the USA (plus direct and indirect allies of these attackers) will not remain impune. There is nothing wrong with this.

I suspect that the fact that George Bush lied to the American public and essentially tricked them into supporting a war that removed a threat to Israel -- plays a part in your defense of him.

American politicians are anxious to court Jewish votes -- and more importantly, Jewish political contributions. George Bush played that hand very, very well -- although I must acknowledge that many Jewish Americans recognize George Bush for the imposter he is.

Bill Clinton lied about having sex -- and the congress impeached him. George Bush lied about things that eventually lead to America inititating an unprovoked war.

I don't want to see George Bush impeached -- that is a process already overused in my opinion.

But I certainly hope that America wakes up and gets rid of him at the next opportunity.

I reiterate something I've said to you several times: You are in bed with the devil insofar as you trust American conservatives to be a true friend to Israel. The conservative base wil eventually turn that notion on its head.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:01 pm
My take on this - even an expert might not recognize a WMD if it was sitting right in front of him.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:05 pm
Violet, steissd is a welcome and astute contributor to A2K. If you continue personal attacks as above, perhaps you should consider becoming "Violent Lake".

Admittedly, I have gone off on a certain A2Ker with similar tone, however, I was the recipient of the venom beforehand.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:16 pm
Have to say I agree with cjhsa on this one. I never agree with anything steissd writes, but he behaves like a gentleman and should be treated as such.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:25 pm
If you tell a lie enough times, everyone will start to believe it. Get dirt on as many hands as you can manage and you can accomplish almost anything. In the game of life, the only thing that counts is winning. So...

I'm adopting a BELLIGIRENT MACHO NEOCONSERVATIVE outlook on life. From now on, people that don't agree with me are to be ridiculed, marginalized, and treated like the enemies they are. You're either with me, or you're against me. If you stand in my way, you'll find the sole of my boot on your face.

There's no reason to consider other points of view, and I certainly don't have to condescend to my enemies. If you don't agree with me, you're stupid, misguided, or just plain evil.

From now on my motto will be the neoconservative mantra - "The world is an ugly place. If we destroy it in the quest to make it better, oh well!"

cjhsa, call me "Violent Lake" if you need to, but I would rather be called "Violent 'the savage' Lake" Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
Wink
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
And people wondered why I use to refer to a certain "Violent Flake" on abuzz?

Vindication is so sweet.

steissd is perhaps on of the best examples of decorum and fairness on this site.

And I'll wrassle anybody who says otherwise!!
0 Replies