The World According To Jimmy Carter

blueflame1

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:29 pm
Ok.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:48 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Those that don't bomb crowded market places, that don't fire rockets into residential neighborhoods, that don't blow up busses filled with school children have all the due process and habeas corpus as anybody else in Israel.

First, due process is for all people -- it's how you determine whether or not someone did indeed bomb a crowded market place. Second, Palestinians who are not Israelis citizens do not have all the same due process or any other rights, especially not the right to their own property, as people who are citizens of Israel.

Quote:
There are at least a million Arabs living peacefully as Israeli citizens in Israel with no restrictions on their freedoms whatsoever. So that isn't really the issue is it?

You're right, because we're not talking about people who are citizens of Israel, we're talking about Palestinians who live in the occupied territories.

Quote:
I think the Israelis have more right to protect themselves against terrorists than the Palestinians have a right to be terrorists or condone terrorists.

What about the right to be treated as human beings, to their own land and water resources, to self-determination, to move freely from one PA controlled area to another? Should Palestinians have those rights? Obviously, we're not talking about the so-called right to be terrorists or condone terrorists, unless you meant to imply that all Palestinians are terrorists.

Quote:
All that was ever necessary for a two-state solution was for the Palestinians to recognize Israel's right to exist, for the Palestinians to stop blowing up Israeli marketplaces, neighborhoods, busses, and for the Palestinians to agree to a two-state solution. They have had MANY opportunities to do all of this and so far have refused.

The PLO did recognize Israel's right to exist within the 1967 borders and there was peace between Oslo and the second intifada. That didn't stop Israelis from continuing to build and expand settlements on land that was supposed to be for a Palestinian state. These actions seriously undermined any confidence the Pals may have had that Israel was serious about a two state solution.

Quote:
I repeat my former argument. If the Palestinians recognize Israel's right to exist and agree to stop terrorist activities and live as peaceful law abiding Israeli citizens OR accept a two-state solution while ceasing harrassment of Israel, they will be able to move wherever they wish.

Do you really think that Israel would accept the Palestinians as citizens?

Quote:
Quote:
Both the good Bishop and President Carter have acknowledged Israel's need for secure borders, which is why they think that expanding those borders at the expense of Palestinians is a bad idea and won't make them more secure.

Baloney. Carter and Tutu have both come down squarely pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel or certainly critical of Israel in a way they are not critical of the Palestinians. Both would impose on Israel policies that would make it far more difficult for Israel to protect its citizens and defend itself. I wouldn't trust either one of them to have Israel's best interests at heart and I think Israel is quite wise to understand that.

You're going to have to back up your "baloney". Carter explicitly acknowledges Israel's need for secure borders, and does so in the chapter that you yourself posted here in this thread.

Quote:
The security of Israel must be guaranteed. The Arabs must acknowledge openly and specifically that Israel is a reality and has a right to exist in peace, behind secure and recognized borders, and with a firm Arab pledge to terminate any further acts of violence against the legally constituted nation of Israel.

And in the piece I posted a link to, Bishop Tutu says:
Quote:
I believe Israel has a right to secure borders.

Now why don't you tell me which policies they would impose on Israel that would make it harder for Israel to defend herself?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:50 pm
Quote:

All that was ever necessary for a two-state solution was for the Palestinians to recognize Israel's right to exist, for the Palestinians to stop blowing up Israeli marketplaces, neighborhoods, busses, and for the Palestinians to agree to a two-state solution. They have had MANY opportunities to do all of this and so far have refused.

This is a Tautology; you say that all which is neccessary for a two-state solution is for the Pals to agree to a 2-state solution.

It could just as easily be said that all Israel needs to do for a two-state solution is to agree to a Palestinian state with water rights, shipping rights, contiguous borders, etc., and stop demolishing their houses and executing their children.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:14 pm
After all, it worked so well when Israel completely left Gaza, right?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:16 pm
McGentrix wrote:
After all, it worked so well when Israel completely left Gaza, right?

The Gaza Strip is not worth much compared to the West Bank and rights for access to sites in Jerusalem.

The 'gaza pullout' performed by Israel simultaneously accompanied an increase of troops and presence in the West Bank; hardly an action designed to calm one's foes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:18 pm
It was an affort and a start the resulted in more bloodshed and violence. Why would Israel expect anything less from a pullout of the western bank.

If Gaza was a litmus test, the Palestinians failed miserably.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It was an affort and a start the resulted in more bloodshed and violence. Why would Israel expect anything less from a pullout of the western bank.

Good thing it wasn't a litmus test, then.

It wasn't an effort by Israel to do anything positive for the Palestinians in the slightest.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

It wasn't an effort by Israel to do anything positive for the Palestinians in the slightest.

Cycloptichorn

Then why did they do it?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:25 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Then why did they do it?

To deflect criticism from their simultaneous buildup of forces on their eastern border. To show that they were 'helping out' the Pals and advancing the peace process (though their actions did none of this).

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:28 pm
Oh, yes, the Israel-can-do-nothing-right view. I forgot about that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:30 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Those that don't bomb crowded market places, that don't fire rockets into residential neighborhoods, that don't blow up busses filled with school children have all the due process and habeas corpus as anybody else in Israel.

First, due process is for all people -- it's how you determine whether or not someone did indeed bomb a crowded market place. Second, Palestinians who are not Israelis citizens do not have all the same due process or any other rights, especially not the right to their own property, as people who are citizens of Israel.

Certain criminals in this country lose their rights to their property too when they commit acts denying others the right to life, liberty, and/or the pursuit of happiness. We aren't talking about peace loving people here. We're talking about people who think it is their moral obligation to firebomb a bus full of school children. We're talking about people who voted into power people who think its okay to randomly murder men, women, and children and who are on the record as intending to exterminate Israel altogether.

Until you pro-Palestinian folks recognize that fact and factor it into your other equations we are going to get nowhere no matter how many times you ignore that while pleading the case of the plight of the poor Palestinians.

Quote:
Quote:
There are at least a million Arabs living peacefully as Israeli citizens in Israel with no restrictions on their freedoms whatsoever. So that isn't really the issue is it?

You're right, because we're not talking about people who are citizens of Israel, we're talking about Palestinians who live in the occupied territories.

People who are lobbing rockets into Israel and who import suicide bombers and demolition experts to commit sabotage. You're going to have to recognize that fact before continuing this discussion will go anywhere. I will NEVER agree that the Palestinians are justified in doing that.

Quote:
Quote:
I think the Israelis have more right to protect themselves against terrorists than the Palestinians have a right to be terrorists or condone terrorists.

What about the right to be treated as human beings, to their own land and water resources, to self-determination, to move freely from one PA controlled area to another? Should Palestinians have those rights? Obviously, we're not talking about the so-called right to be terrorists or condone terrorists, unless you meant to imply that all Palestinians are terrorists.

Those Palestinians living and working in Israel are treated just like Israelis are treated. You again are ignoring the fact that all Palestinians aren't willing to do that.

Quote:
Quote:

The PLO did recognize Israel's right to exist within the 1967 borders and there was peace between Oslo and the second intifada. That didn't stop Israelis from continuing to build and expand settlements on land that was supposed to be for a Palestinian state. These actions seriously undermined any confidence the Pals may have had that Israel was serious about a two state solution.

The PLO never dropped its mandate to eliminate Israel and it rejected every single proposal for a two-state solution. And the attacks on Israel's civilian populations never stopped.

I will concede that Israel was heavy handed in some of its settlement policies, but also the Palestinians should be willing to live with the Israelis as well as wanting to be treated like Israelis in Israel. It seems to me that the militant Palestinians are effecting apartheid far more than anything the Israelis can be accused of.

Quote:
Quote:
I repeat my former argument. If the Palestinians recognize Israel's right to exist and agree to stop terrorist activities and live as peaceful law abiding Israeli citizens OR accept a two-state solution while ceasing harrassment of Israel, they will be able to move wherever they wish.

Do you really think that Israel would accept the Palestinians as citizens?

The are already accepting hundred of thousands of Palestinians as citizens. Any Palestinians who reject the authority of Hamas et al and accept the authority of Israel is in like flynn.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Both the good Bishop and President Carter have acknowledged Israel's need for secure borders, which is why they think that expanding those borders at the expense of Palestinians is a bad idea and won't make them more secure.

Baloney. Carter and Tutu have both come down squarely pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel or certainly critical of Israel in a way they are not critical of the Palestinians. Both would impose on Israel policies that would make it far more difficult for Israel to protect its citizens and defend itself. I wouldn't trust either one of them to have Israel's best interests at heart and I think Israel is quite wise to understand that.

You're going to have to back up your "baloney". Carter explicitly acknowledges Israel's need for secure borders, and does so in the chapter that you yourself posted here in this thread.

Quote:
The security of Israel must be guaranteed. The Arabs must acknowledge openly and specifically that Israel is a reality and has a right to exist in peace, behind secure and recognized borders, and with a firm Arab pledge to terminate any further acts of violence against the legally constituted nation of Israel.

And in the piece I posted a link to, Bishop Tutu says:
Quote:
I believe Israel has a right to secure borders.

Now why don't you tell me which policies they would impose on Israel that would make it harder for Israel to defend herself?

What Bishop Tuto and President Carter say on one hand belies their rhetoric on the other. Neither of them ever criticize Palestine or condemn the actions of the Palestinians while both frequently condemn Israel's actions. Saying that "Israel has a right to secure borders" is not the same thing as supporting policies that allow Israel to have secure borders and neither of them support anything that Israel does to secure its own borders.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:30 pm
McGentrix wrote:

It isn't that they can't do anything right, it's that they consistently choose not to do so.

I see you have decided to retreat from actual discussion to quippy comments as usual.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:38 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

It isn't that they can't do anything right, it's that they consistently choose not to do so.

I see you have decided to retreat from actual discussion to quippy comments as usual.

Cycloptichorn

No, it's that I know no agreement will be reached other then to simply disagree. I believe the Israelis want to live in peace without fear of suicide bombings and kidnappings and should do whatever they can to accomplish that. You seem to believe something else.

So, why continue the discussion?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:42 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

No, it's that I know no agreement will be reached other then to simply disagree. I believe the Israelis want to live in peace without fear of suicide bombings and kidnappings and should do whatever they can to accomplish that. You seem to believe something else.

So, why continue the discussion?

See, because we come to agreement: I also believe Israel should do whatever they can to accomplish this. I just believe they are doing the completely wrong things to do so, to the point where their actions are actively making the situation worse.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:58 pm
McG wrote: No, it's that I know no agreement will be reached other then to simply disagree. I believe the Israelis want to live in peace without fear of suicide bombings and kidnappings and should do whatever they can to accomplish that. You seem to believe something else.

The Israelis must stop taking over Palestinian property, and move out from all the illegally occupied territories. They must provide the Palestinians with equal protections under the laws, and provide equal opportunities of employment and movement throughout Israel.

After this happens, there might be some semblance of "peace." I just wonder if you were a Palestinian living in Israel, if you would be content with your living conditions?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:02 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
McG wrote: No, it's that I know no agreement will be reached other then to simply disagree. I believe the Israelis want to live in peace without fear of suicide bombings and kidnappings and should do whatever they can to accomplish that. You seem to believe something else.

The Israelis must stop taking over Palestinian property, and move out from all the illegally occupied territories. They must provide the Palestinians with equal protections under the laws, and provide equal opportunities of employment and movement throughout Israel.

After this happens, there might be some semblance of "peace." I just wonder if you were a Palestinian living in Israel, if you would be content with your living conditions?

Why would they let killers roam free throughout Israel? You have presented an unrealistic idea of what would bring peace to the Israeli/Palestine problem.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:04 pm
So who are those killers, exactly?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:05 pm
Are all whites dangerous in the US because of Tim McVeigh and the unibomber? How about the Boston strangler? How about the KKK?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:06 pm
A lot of them blow themselves up in crowded markets and on busses full of school children.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Why would they let killers roam free throughout Israel? You have presented an unrealistic idea of what would bring peace to the Israeli/Palestine problem.

You posit that Palestinians are inherently killers. This is a false and dangerous assumption.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies