Carter blames Israel for Mideast conflict

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:01 pm
BTW, it's tragic where ever in the world it happens - and that includes the US. So, what's your point?
0 Replies

MizunoMan

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:23 pm
What was your point in posting an article from 2004?

The Palestinian infighting being discussed is happening in Gaza. The city referenced in your 2004 article, Rafah, is in the Gaza Strip.

What do you mean, why did I "bring up Gaza"? You went there first.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:59 am
blatham wrote:
monte cargo wrote
Quote:
The author's point is not to slam these Jews like Allan Colmes for their anti-Isreal positions, it is to point out that in these people, there is a tactic of saying "My viewpoint is better than a Gentile's because I'm Jewish and I'm against Israel, so when I am against Israel, that really means something more than if I just say I am anti-Israel." It is this tactic, and not the person that Shapiro is discussing, pointing out, and it is useful information.

Actually, the author's point is precisely what you deny. It is to slam Jews when they speak out against some Israeli government policy - a very particular class of Israeli government policy...expansionist, pro-settlement, Palestinian and arab-antipathetic policies.

It's the second prong of a two-pronged propaganda thrust. Prong one: criticism of these policies from someone who is not Jewish is labelled as axiomatically anti-semitic. But because that thrust doesn't apply to someone in disagreement who is Jewish, they become "self-hating jews". And that's prong two. The design and function is to label criticism (of a government policy) from absolutely anyone as an instance of jew hating. There's no other option conceivably available, is there?

The "better than gentile" bit is an attempt to distract with a further attack (quite irrelevant) on the criticizer. When you criticize an American government policy on some board like this (a Clinton era policy, say) and add that you are an American, it hardly follows that you are therefore also claiming you are therefore better than a Frenchman or a Canadian. You have added the relevant information as to your group membership so as to belay the impression that your criticism might be driven by "anti-Americanism".

This writer is a serious shitheel and he's playing you.

What I see is the writer pinpointing a tactic. Yes, he's probably condemning those that qualify their pro-Palestinian/anti-Israeli talking points with "Israel should be condemned...and I'm a Jew."

I don't really see what that writer did for his point of view that many of the absolute black and white replies of this thread's posters didn't also do, which is unconditionally condemn one side of the Israel/Pal debate. I would say that some posts are pretty well revved up, such as the one that emphatically claimed that the Israelis purposefully attacked the U.S.S. Liberty. Another poster claimed that the U.S. has absolutely no business treating Israel as an ally or continuing aid. Those kinds of statements are every bit as absolute as the "shitheel writer", as you put it.

The onesidedness of seeing Israel as a pure aggressor nation opens the discussion wide and then begs counterpoint in the form of more moderate and reasonable perspectives.

As a point of provoking some thought, the only difference I can see in the posts from the Israel bashers and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is the intensity of the rhetoric and sometimes even that distinction blurs up in the looking glass. Just for fun, Blatham, perhaps it would be a useful exercise for you to point out what difference there is in the American anti-Israel positions and the Iranian regime. What difference is there between the basic philosophy of the American anti-Israeli talking points and Al Queida's basic philosophy?

It seems that when Peres and Rabin were conducting peace talks with Arafat, things were starting to work. With the unfortunate assasination of Rabin from some fruitcake, those talks were interrupted and a new wave of hardliners created a new and much more military paradigm. The death of Rabin is often spun as a Likud conspiracy instead of the actions of one lunatic. That would be like saying that Karl Rove masterminded the Oklahoma City bombing of the federal building instead of laying responsibility on Timothy McVeigh.

I saw the post where the recent Israeli-Lebanese war took mention. Actually, that was more of an Israeli-Hezbollah war. The Lebanese government is scared crapless of Hezbollah and despite U.N. resolutions specifically enjoining Lebanon's goverment from allowing a militia (like Hezbollah) from having a presence in the Lebanese government, that is exactly what happened. Hezbollah kidnapped Israeli soldiers and then hid among the civilian Lebanese population.

Of course, the media behaved predictably and plastered shots of every target struck by the Israelis, without mentioning that while Hezbollah was asking other nations to stop Israel from attacking, Hezbollah refused to return the kidnapped soldiers unless imprisoned terrorists were released first. Rice was villified by the Arab nations for stating that before any cease fire could be negotiated, that the kidnapped soldiers must first be released, and that a long term solution be adopted.

In the meantime, Carter's supporters on this thread will continue to sing to the choir with linked articles from websites well reputed for being leftwing, that are strongly pro-Pal in nature.

I would agree with another poster that the percentage of Israelis in that country that see their government as wrong make up a nominal percentage, not a mandate. Carter's book is widely seen as a book that goes too far and borders on being anti-Semitic. Conservatives see the book as crossing the line and actually being anti-Semitic.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:08 am
monte

You are allowing yourself to think/argue with strawmen by lumping the worst criticisms of Israel in with those that are careful, thoughtful and balanced. George is a serious Republican and conservative, for example. I have another friend who is a very smart and serious Republican who will now and again relate some element of a conversation with, say, Barbara Bush. Because of her training and her work, she's spent a lot of time in the Arab world and holds a deep and educated respect for that world. Her opinions on the relationship between the US and Israel would not be welcome on Fox.

As a kid (I was a Mennonite, by the way) I tore through all of Leon Uris' books and, after the first choices of either Roy Rogers or astronaut, wanted to be an Irgun warrior living in the sun on a kibbutz (maybe because I came from a rain forest). My european, christian social and cultural values are far, far closer to jewish culture and values than to that of the arab world. I'm predisposed to love Israel.

on the assassination... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yigal_Amir
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:52 am
In case we lose sight of what actually is being forwarded in Carter's book...

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20061219-025903-5891r
Quote:
Commentary: What did Jimmy Carter mean?
M.J. Rosenberg

December 19, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Israel's minister of education, Yuli Tamir, has gotten herself into hot water with the far right by declaring that maps in Israeli textbooks will, from now on, show the Green Line, the armistice line that separated Israel from the West Bank and Gaza Strip before 1967. In other words, the West Bank will not be depicted as part of Israel but rather as territories whose final status remains in dispute, which is, of course, nothing more than a reflection of reality.

This seems like no big deal. But, of course, the extremists are fuming. A group of rabbis from "Headquarters to Save the State of Israel" went so far as to threaten Tamir's life. "The education minister has joined the enemies of Israel. She should remember what happened to Ariel Sharon, after he damaged settlements in Judea, Samaria, and Gaza."

The reference to Ariel Sharon reflects the view among Israel's religious radicals that Sharon, like Yitzhak Rabin, suffered divine retribution for endorsing territorial compromise. Likud chair Binyamin Netanyahu did not go that far. He merely said that putting the West Bank behind a dotted line on a map is "scandalous."

Scandalous? I guess scandals in Israel are not what they used to be!

One could argue, I suppose, that this map controversy is of no significance and can safely be ignored. But I don't see it that way. Hysteria over a map is symptomatic of the larger hysteria about the territories that is not limited to extremists.

The hysteria results from the dangerous conflation of the State of Israel and the West Bank. For some people in Israel and here in the United States, criticism of the occupation is an attack on Israel's right to exist.

But conflating the legitimacy of the occupation with the legitimacy of the Jewish state is dangerous. The simple fact is that most people in the world want the occupation to end and believe that the West Bank does not belong to Israel. Most believe that ultimately a Palestinian state will govern the West Bank and Gaza, with a Palestinian capital in East Jerusalem. It is not only Arabs and Europeans who believe this but a clear majority of Americans and Israelis.

The last thing friends of Israel should suggest is that the West Bank has the same status in our eyes as Israel. That idea serves not to advance Israel's hold on the territory, which cannot be sustained anyway, but to weaken the Jewish claim to Israel itself. It should stop.

The West Bank is not Israel. Nablus is not Tel Aviv. Israelis who demand that maps show Israel controlling the entire area of historic Palestine are no different than Arabs whose maps do not show Israel at all. Worse than that, they fuel anti-Zionism by perpetuating the lie that Israel is imperialistic, with designs well beyond its borders.

The map controversy is odd, but not radically different from the arguments taking place now over Jimmy Carter's use of the loaded term apartheid to describe conditions on the West Bank.

Carter does not say that Israel is an apartheid state. He says explicitly that it is not and that, when he uses the term apartheid, he is not referring to Israel. "I am," he says, "referring to Palestine and not to Israel ... Arabs living in Israel are citizens of Israel and have full citizenship, voting and legal rights, and so forth."

David Harris, executive director of the American Jewish Committee, correctly points out in a column that Carter's use of the term apartheid is "false advertising" because Carter "never claims that Israel is engaging in racially motivated policies and rightly argues for a two-state solution to the conflict." Harris recognizes that Carter's apartheid indictment is not about Israel but about the occupation.

Others are not as careful. Martin Peretz and Alan Dershowitz both say that Carter specifically calls Israel an "apartheid state," which Carter does not do. Alan Dershowitz says Carter is "simply wrong." In Israel, Dershowitz says, "majority rules; it is a vibrant secular democracy, which just recognized gay marriages performed abroad. Arabs serve in the Knesset, on the supreme court, and get to vote for their representatives, many of whom strongly oppose Israeli policies."

All that is absolutely correct. And Carter agrees with every word. His argument is that Arabs in the West Bank do not have those rights. That isn't so much an argument as a fact. West Bank Palestinians are not citizens of any country and do not have the rights of citizenship anywhere.

And that is why most Israelis are eager to divest themselves of the West Bank. They understand that precisely because Israel is not an apartheid state, if it holds on to the territories, it must eventually grant Palestinians the same rights Israelis enjoy. But that, if it does, Israel would be transformed from a Jewish state to a bi-national one in which an Arab majority could outvote the Jewish minority.

The term apartheid is offensive to me, although not to everyone. The popular and provocative conservative Ha'aretz columnist, Shmuel Rosner, sees nothing wrong with the term. "Arguing about apartheid is pointless," he writes. "There is enough material evidence to prove that apartheid exists in the occupied territories in one form or another. If you argue about the use of this word, you lose. If you argue that Israel is blameless you also lose. The only argument you can make against Carter is about context and the bigger picture."

Rosner is exactly right. Argue the facts. Argue the context. Argue the big picture.

One last point: there is a disturbing trend in the pro-Israel community in which the usual suspects react to any and all criticism of Israeli policies by assaulting the critics, demanding that they either shut up or be prohibited from speaking at a particular venue. This has to stop.

Americans should be free to discuss any subject they choose without being subjected to hit jobs from self-appointed monitors of Middle Eastern political correctness.

A former president of the United States is immune to those attacks. But other writers, professors, and journalists are not immune to pressure. And that pressure stifles discussion.

If the Iraq Study Group is free to dissect the conduct of a war while it is going on, any American should feel free to criticize any aspect of foreign policy including US policy toward Israel. That should go without saying.

In Israel, not an apartheid state but a beleaguered democracy, everyone from Knesset members, to journalists, to cab drivers feel free to express views on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that would cause conniption fits here [in the US].

It makes no sense. You should not have to take a 10-hour flight just so you can watch an open and free-wheeling debate about the Middle East. You should be able to do it here. It's a free country. Right?

M.J. Rosenberg, Director of Policy Analysis for Israel Policy Forum (IPF), is a long time Capitol Hill staffer and former editor of AIPAC's Near East Report. The views expressed in IPF Friday are those of M.J. Rosenberg and not necessarily of IPF. Acknowledgement to the Common Ground News Service (CGNews)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:57 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:

The onesidedness of seeing Israel as a pure aggressor nation opens the discussion wide and then begs counterpoint in the form of more moderate and reasonable perspectives.

As a point of provoking some thought, the only difference I can see in the posts from the Israel bashers and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is the intensity of the rhetoric and sometimes even that distinction blurs up in the looking glass. Just for fun, Blatham, perhaps it would be a useful exercise for you to point out what difference there is in the American anti-Israel positions and the Iranian regime. What difference is there between the basic philosophy of the American anti-Israeli talking points and Al Queida's basic philosophy?

I certainly don't see Israel as a pure aggressor nation, or as the only source of the present conflict. However, I do believe that Israeli is every bit as adept at "missing opportunities" as are the Palestinian objects of Abba Eban's pithy phrase. In particular, I believe that Israel, under the Likud party, made a grievous error of lasting historical import when it undertook to occupy the West Bank; seize as much territory as possible for Jewish settlement and control of external borders; exclude the people living there (and whose land it was) from participation in Israeli government or society; and - a result of all this - hold them in subjugation, with no political or economic rights for forty years (and still counting).

I do believe that Israel should continue as a homeland for Jews, - but not exclusively for Jews. The world has irrevocably moved past such tribal or theocratic concepts of governance. Certainly this disease also infects Israel's Moslem neighbors and opponents in this struggle. (Indeed the struggle has moved both sides to worse and worse conditions in this respect.) However, the remedy is most certainly not more of the disordered way of thinking and acting that created this tragic, and horrible situation.

I see no way out for Israel under the current circumstances until it adopts a new paradigm for itself and its governance. Moreover, if the choice presented to the United States in this struggle is merely to continue supporting one side in a conflict of similar and similarly motivated antagonists, then I am for leaving both to their respective fates.

I suppose that I meet your definition of "an Israeli basher", and, as a result am hardly distinguishable from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran in your eyes. Despite this, I believe there are profound differences between my world view and his and, in particular, between my view of the tragic situation in the Middle East and his. Either you are guilty of a scurrilous attempt to evade the issues under discussion by slandering your interlocutor, or are simply blind to these differences.

Monte Cargo wrote:

It seems that when Peres and Rabin were conducting peace talks with Arafat, things were starting to work. With the unfortunate assasination of Rabin from some fruitcake, those talks were interrupted and a new wave of hardliners created a new and much more military paradigm. The death of Rabin is often spun as a Likud conspiracy instead of the actions of one lunatic. That would be like saying that Karl Rove masterminded the Oklahoma City bombing of the federal building instead of laying responsibility on Timothy McVeigh.

Whether the explanation of the assassination of Rabin was spun or not is irrelevant. Israel has made no serious attempt to resume what was lost in his death. Certainly the existence of such spin among external observers (if it exists) is no excuse for Israel's failure to carry on after the assassination, if that was the right thing to do.

Many supporters of Israel have become very adept in these sophistries. Unfortunately for them it is simply a fact that not every critic of Israeli policies toward her neighbors and subject peoples is an 'anti-Semite' or an ally of the present government of Iran. The belief in some quarters that Rabin may have been assassinated as a result of a Likud conspiracy does not excuse subsequent Israeli intransigence and oppression if they really believe Rabin was on the right path.

Monte Cargo wrote:
I saw the post where the recent Israeli-Lebanese war took mention. Actually, that was more of an Israeli-Hezbollah war. The Lebanese government is scared crapless of Hezbollah and despite U.N. resolutions specifically enjoining Lebanon's goverment from allowing a militia (like Hezbollah) from having a presence in the Lebanese government, that is exactly what happened. Hezbollah kidnapped Israeli soldiers and then hid among the civilian Lebanese population.

Of course, the media behaved predictably and plastered shots of every target struck by the Israelis, without mentioning that while Hezbollah was asking other nations to stop Israel from attacking, Hezbollah refused to return the kidnapped soldiers unless imprisoned terrorists were released first. Rice was villified by the Arab nations for stating that before any cease fire could be negotiated, that the kidnapped soldiers must first be released, and that a long term solution be adopted.

I agree with you on several of these points. However these are effects, not causes. Using such considerations to rationalize a continued application of a fundamentally flawed and unjust concept of governance and relations with meighboring states is mere folly.

Monte Cargo wrote:
In the meantime, Carter's supporters on this thread will continue to sing to the choir with linked articles from websites well reputed for being leftwing, that are strongly pro-Pal in nature.

I would agree with another poster that the percentage of Israelis in that country that see their government as wrong make up a nominal percentage, not a mandate. Carter's book is widely seen as a book that goes too far and borders on being anti-Semitic. Conservatives see the book as crossing the line and actually being anti-Semitic.

This is self-pitying nonsense and an offensive repetition of a worn out canard that is increasingly costing Israel and Israeli supporters what sympathy and understanding they have left among thinking observers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 01:05 pm
georgeob, Another good post. Thank you for your insights and straight talk on this matter.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:13 pm
Good heavens! Gone all this time, but not forgotten by my friends - tks for the good words, Blatham.

The only online friend who'll understand my avatar is also here, I see, and suspected of being some sort of leftist sympathizer?! Truly this is too funny, but I shall oblige the suspicious poster by adding a link to one of the "Communist friends of Ahmedinejad"-type sites I habitually frequent, where a speech by a fellow traitor can be heard in its entirety:

http://www.newamerica.net/events/2006/dealing_with_tehran
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:41 pm
High Seas, Welcome to a2k. We all know the "small mind of Bush," and don't expect any form of diplomacy emanating from his brains. He's side-blinded in so many ways, it's difficult to tell whether he's sane or insane. He doesn't mind sending our troops in harms way for no defined goals as he cries croc tears about their death and injury.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:21 pm
Another superb post by georgeob 1 Smile

Israelis never were interested in Peace

Historic documents, like the diaries of earlier Israeli presidents, prove that the real powers within Israel never were interested in a negotiated peace with their neighbours.

They also prove that those leaders deliberately provoked violence from Palestinians and other Arab neighbours against their own population to keep the Israeli society a militaristic one.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:59 pm
It is nonsense to say that Israel never wanted peace. It has gone to great lengths, with risk, to secure peace. A post on some strange site hardly contradicts this.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:21 pm
Advocate wrote:
It is nonsense to say that Israel never wanted peace. It has gone to great lengths, with risk, to secure peace. A post on some strange site hardly contradicts this.

I agree with that. The negotiations and settlement with Egypt are the prime example, and there are others as well. Sadat also took great risks to make this breakthrough (it later cost him his life). It is a pity that there was no followup to the tentative new beginning that Rabin put forward several years later.

However until there is peace and justice between the people of the Middle East, as well as their governments, and until both sides give up their retrograde notions of exclusivity there is not likely to be any resolution of this issue. With their modern economy and external aid the Israelis are quite prosperous behind their wall. The Palestinians live in a very different world and its defects are partly of their own making and partly a result of real injustice inflicted on them.

Finger pointing about who missed what opportunity when, without addressing the intolerance and injustice on both sides of the wall will always remain merely a distraction from the real sources of the problem.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
Carter's logic makes about as much sense as us giving back this country to the dozens of indian tribes to split into dozens of countries, and many of us heading back to Europe or wherever. Except many of us are part Indian, so how would that work? Unless you want to roll back history, Israel exists, period. The only way for peace is for the enemies to get over it, lay down their arms, make the best of it, and do something productive, and you know, it might be surprising how much better their lives might become.

Besides, didn't Arafat have a chance at a Palestinian state, and they turned it down? Obvious reason, they want it all, and Israel ain't going to give it up without a fight. But if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. This is not that complicated.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:43 pm
Isreal surely wants peace and security, and given its centuries of oppression it is very understandable that they desire the strongest possible military force. I think we should support Isreal even though I feel she has followed some very short-sighted and self-damaging pollicies regarding Palestine. AND SO HAS PALESTINE. Carter has stated repeatedly that he is FOR Isreal's survival and security, that his critique is meant constructively. But here everybody wants to TAKE SIDES instantly, in a knee-jerk fashion.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:17 am
Advocate wrote:

I also agree with this. Some of Israel's leaders have gone the extra mile to try to resolve the conflict. Unfortunately, some others have worked just as tirelessly to reverse any progress that was made. This goes for Palestine as well, though their leadership, until recently, has been harder to define. I fully believe though, and Carter also says this, that a majority of Israelis and a majority of Palestinians want to make peace and live in peace with each other. Now we just need strong leadership on both sides, preferably leaders with a death wish, and a US president willing to make it happen.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:23 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
High Seas, Welcome to a2k. We all know the "small mind of Bush," and don't expect any form of diplomacy emanating from his brains. He's side-blinded in so many ways, it's difficult to tell whether he's sane or insane. He doesn't mind sending our troops in harms way for no defined goals as he cries croc tears about their death and injury.

Thank you, Cicerone, but actually I used to post here years ago; my old account was no longer available, so I had to choose a new name.

As far as Middle Eastern policies are concerned I share the opinion of the man speaking on the link I posted on the previous page; like him, I'm a "dissident Republican", but Republican nevertheless, and hope the Bush administration will get rid of the (sadly numerous) advisers who cannot grasp the U.S. interests in the region, or, to the extent that they do understand them, would place the interests of some Middle-Eastern ghetto above them.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:23 am
I think most Palestinians and Israelis want peace. Overwhelmingly. I also see no evidence that Israel's leadership wants peace. I do see much evidence that they want continuous and expanded war.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:27 am
I would say that was true of Ariel Sharon, who reminds me, tragically, of Elmer Fudd. Not sure about Olmert or Barak.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:40 am
Will Jimmy Carter please just go away?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:06 am
For anyone unfamiliar with the columnist "Burt Prelutsky", whose article dated Friday, December 22, 2006, was just posted by McGentrix, the man writes the humor column at the LA Times; he was also the scriptwriter for the TV series MASH.

Both are great references for his new-found expertise in U.S. Midlle Eastern strategic deployments.
0 Replies