Carter blames Israel for Mideast conflict

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:24 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Let's see. Carter: 20% inflation, Americans held hostage in Iran, record unemployment, stock market in the crapper, he goes and builds a cheap house.

Bush: Stock market at or near all time highs, inflation in check, low unemployment, Iran and Iraq in the crosshairs... he gives the poor the biggest break on medicine they'll ever get in their lifetimes, and they still vote for dumbo-crats.

I just don't see how you can hold your views, except, that perhaps that you have some horribly warped sense of reality, as do the elected Democrats, led by Pelosi.

Don't forget about the lines arond the block just to get gas for the family raodster.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:53 pm
Its great the way these threads get twisted.

Carter correctly states that Israel's occupation is the prime cause of trouble in the middle east

The majority of the replies seem to be devoted to Jimmy Carter himself rather than what he said

What ever happened to addressing the issue and not the person?

Anyway carry on the psychological examination of Carters motives I'm sure someone will sooner or later return to the points he was raising
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:26 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Let's see. Carter: 20% inflation, Americans held hostage in Iran, record unemployment, stock market in the crapper, he goes and builds a cheap house.

Bush: Stock market at or near all time highs, inflation in check, low unemployment, Iran and Iraq in the crosshairs... he gives the poor the biggest break on medicine they'll ever get in their lifetimes, and they still vote for dumbo-crats.

I just don't see how you can hold your views, except, that perhaps that you have some horribly warped sense of reality, as do the elected Democrats, led by Pelosi.

Don't forget about the lines around the block just to get gas for the family raodster.

I was mostly referring to Carters achievements and views after he was out of office. I didn't really keep up with Carter's presidency because I was still a kid and basically uninterested in politics.

As for why people voted for democrats (btw-dumbo-crats is a violation of those rules for these threads) it is because while the unemployment has steadied itself out since 9/11, the wages have not increased to keep with the cost of living and people are trying to make it on less money while working longer hours. Sometimes two jobs or self employments just trying to make ends meet. As for the Prescription drug plan, a complete disaster and that is why a lot of seniors voted for democrats. About the gas prices, they are rising again now that mid term is over. As for the stock market; that don't mean a whole heck of a lot to the average middle class american when they don't have enough money to invest in the first place. Middle class is eroding and it has happened under this adminstration.

Bush has failed with his spreading of democracy all over the world and no amount of spinning will change that. Iraq has been one big pimple on the back of the republicans that stretches over into all other matters dealing with the middle east.

Now can we get back to what Carter actually said and either refute it or agree with it?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:45 pm
Zippo wrote:

Carter correctly states that Israel's occupation is the prime cause of trouble in the middle east

The majority of the replies seem to be devoted to Jimmy Carter himself rather than what he said

Anyway carry on the psychological examination of Carters motives I'm sure someone will sooner or later return to the points he was raising

For the same reason that Bush or Clinton deeds get around to their person. Carter was a complete wash out as president, how has him NOT being president made him less inept?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:59 pm
What does any of that have to do with his asessment of this situation? This isn't the place to argue about what he did right or wrong as president. Here you get to argue about whether or not he's wrong about this. Feel free to make your case. I'm all ears.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 10:08 pm
woiyo wrote:
President Carter's memory is failing. He was the one who helped frame the Camp david accord. How did that ultimately work out?

Well now that you asked, pretty damned well as the principle feature of the accord was to remove from the board an arab nation with nearly 100,000,000 arab people and the world's largest arab army which had fought three wars in 26 years with Israel and has yet to fight another over the past 26 years.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 10:57 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
What does any of that have to do with his asessment of this situation? This isn't the place to argue about what he did right or wrong as president. Here you get to argue about whether or not he's wrong about this. Feel free to make your case. I'm all ears.

If history is forgotten, we're bound to reapeat it. Apparently some needs reminded of the Jimmah history.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 10:58 pm
Then feel free to start a thread about it.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:01 pm
blatham wrote:
I saw Carter last night on three different appearances, PBS, CNN and NBC (I think it was).

Carter's analysis of the centrality of the Palestine/Israeli issue to Muslim anger and to peace in the middle east is, of course, Tony Blair's position as well. It is also the position of many American analysts and officials with experience in that section of the world. It is also the position of the majority of Israeli citizens, by consistent poll.

But it will be the case that LSM and, I'd guess MC as well, have never read Israeli publications, including Ha'aretz, Israel's leading newspaper (you can read today's issue HERE. They won't have read Israel's great reporters/writers such as Ari Shavit. They won't have much of an inkling, if any at all, of the size of the peace movement within Israeli society, of Israeli court decisions on treatment of prisoners, the illegal occupation of Palestinian lands, etc. They are likely quite unaware of how many UN resolutions Israel stands in violation of, offering up similar legal grounds for those forwarded to invade Iraq.

Until they get themselves educated on these matters (and I expect that won't happen) I don't know what use arguing with them might be.

Stop showing off, Blatham. I know you're well informed. :wink:

Here I go, writing all these terrible things about JC, (not THE JC, but JC), and today I hear second hand about him saying something that sounds wise and intelligent: He said, (if the sources are right and I am paraphrasing) that "civil war" in Iraq is too strong to describe the Iraq situation, but rather there are sectarian factions that are waging battles. And then Colin Powell, states the reverse, slapping his old boss in the face.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:14 pm
Zippo wrote:

Zippo, I think Richard Nixon predated Carter in being one of the first presidents to be critical of the State of Israel. Understand that when a republican becomes the blockbuster in this way, he will be attacked for being anti-Semitic. Reagan and Bush were more traditional in their pro-Israel position, and suprisingly, the Clintons took a much more evenhanded approach to the Israeli-Palestinian issue and advocated as much for the Palestinians as the Israelis. These days, the pendulum seems to have swung too far to the other side, with Israel often being villified, sometimes unjustly so, IMO.

The U.N. is anti-Israel and the European Community is as Anti-Semitic as any country has been, just short of Third Reich Era Nazi Germany. Carter leans toward the positions of the U.N.

With a more tempered assessment of Jimmy Carter, I think he genuinely wants to achieve peace, and Iraq will not cease being a problem until some sort of diplomatic resolution is reached. I am in disagreement with his approach, however, due to the fact that it is not a good idea to negotiate from a position of weakness, which is how the Iranians and Syrians view us now. The election results here serve to reinforce that world view of the United States as a timid, weak and toothless nation.

The surprising conclusion Carter reached, and I could not even attempt to judge Cater's psychology, motive or agenda, is that Israel is the villain he points to as the troublemaker. It seems that Syria and Iran are the culprits and have been named the first and second biggest sponsors of terrorism. That seems a little large for the ex-president to overlook, but I've never been too impressed with JC.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:18 pm
candidone1 wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

You could back this all up for us because I call BS.

There isn't a claim made here, save for the assessment of Iran and Iraq, that bears any controversy. Can you point one out?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:22 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

You asked what, I told you.
<snicker>
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:52 pm
blatham wrote:
I saw Carter last night on three different appearances, PBS, CNN and NBC (I think it was).

Carter's analysis of the centrality of the Palestine/Israeli issue to Muslim anger and to peace in the middle east is, of course, Tony Blair's position as well. It is also the position of many American analysts and officials with experience in that section of the world. It is also the position of the majority of Israeli citizens, by consistent poll.

But it will be the case that LSM and, I'd guess MC as well, have never read Israeli publications, including Ha'aretz, Israel's leading newspaper (you can read today's issue HERE. They won't have read Israel's great reporters/writers such as Ari Shavit. They won't have much of an inkling, if any at all, of the size of the peace movement within Israeli society, of Israeli court decisions on treatment of prisoners, the illegal occupation of Palestinian lands, etc. They are likely quite unaware of how many UN resolutions Israel stands in violation of, offering up similar legal grounds for those forwarded to invade Iraq.

Until they get themselves educated on these matters (and I expect that won't happen) I don't know what use arguing with them might be.

You're probably right, old bean, we probably won't be investing a lot of time in the Haaretz to get our information. The Haaretz is to Israel what the New York Times is to the United States, namely, a large, old, liberal newspaper, although Haaretz doesn't have Jayson Blair.

Here's the Wikipedia on the Haaretz's editorial position:
Quote:
Its coverage of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict tends to publish more views sympathetic to the Palestinian cause than other Israeli newspapers, as shown by the reporting of Amira Hass and, to a lesser extent, Gideon Levy. Haaretz strongly supported the Oslo Accords with the PLO. The position of the newspaper in Israel's religious spectrum is decidedly secular. Although space is often given to issues of social justice (exemplified by Ruth Sinai's frequent columns on this topic), the paper's editorial line on economic issues is primarily classical-liberal in the spirit of The Economist. It supports privatization, free-trade, reduction in welfare, lower taxes and strict fiscal practices

25% of the Haaretz Group is owned by a German, Blatham. If you will recall, the 1993 Oslo Acords granted only 22% of the land originally designated for the Palestine State after 1948.

Off the top of my head, and admittedly somewhat of a dismissive assessment on my behalf, to say Haaretz accurately reflects the tone of typical Israeli sentiment is like saying that Military Times accurately reflects the tone of the typical soldier or officer. Military Times is owned by the Gattner Group which is a reknownly left-wing organization.

So I am happy to become educated in these matters, but I refuse to allow myself to being indoctrinated with inaccurate propoganda from a biased news source. While I have no doubt that Israel has a small percentage of its population in a peace movement (surrender to Hezbollah, Iran, Hammas and Syria), it is the same within our country where we have a 10% population who hate our country, and everything that our country stands for.

Tony Blair is posturing for a withdrawal of British troops from the area. What you are saying is that Carter is in agreement for withdrawing troops. Once again, it is a clear mistake to negotiate from a weak position. Such folly would virtually guarantee no country in the future would trust America when they are looking for an ally, and Iran/Syria militant Shiites, the likes of Sadr would become the dominant force in the ME.

Ibrahim al-Jaafari just needs to ferret out Muqtada al-Sadr, capture him and do something cool like publicly hang Sadr and a couple of his cohorts. That would stop a lot of the violence.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:57 am
monte

We are going to have a problem if you use "liberal bias" to discount any and all content/analysis which doesn't arrive via "conservative bias". That's a framework which is designed to prohibit agreement.

Take part of the description you quoted above...

Quote:
the paper's editorial line on economic issues is primarily classical-liberal in the spirit of The Economist. It supports privatization, free-trade, reduction in welfare, lower taxes and strict fiscal practices

Note the "classical liberal" there, the comparison with The Economist, and what is supported. In American modern rightwing terminology of the Coulter or Fox sort, no such creature as "classical liberalism" is either known about nor admitted to exist.

Earlier, I threw in a quote from the Jerusalem Post as well, a much more predictably "conservative" publication.

My recommendation would be to refuse the prejudicial framework of "liberal" and "conservative" - which sets us up to accept or reject information and analyses before really considering them carefully. For a month or so, say, pop into the Jerusalem Post and Ha'aretz two or three times a week, and just survey what is going on in Israel and what folks there are thinking. One thing you will discover is that opinion in Israel is far more diverse than our press/TV over here hint at. It is a considerable curiosity how that has come about, but it is the case.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:01 am
Note: even Condi Rice is now calling for resolution of the Israeli/Palestine problem. It has been a dropped ball which circumstances are now once again bringing to the fore. But she's going to have to do a hell of a lot more than make statements such as that.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:09 am
Note: Since when has Condi been listened to by the left wing? Since when does what she say carry any weight with the left wing?
Another question, even if Israel gave up everything the Palestinnians want, what makes anybody believe that it would be enough?
We will drive the Israelis into the sea
Jews are pigs & apes

Jimmy Carter should be ashamed of himself.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:58 am
Do we even want to care what Jimmy Carter says or thinks. I wish he would go back to raising peanuts and quit causing trouble for us.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:18 am
The fact is that the problem needs to be solved and cannot continue like it is. There is a reason why there is no peace in the middle east, and there will continue to not be peace until a solution is found for the "palestinian problem". If anybody bothered to read what Carter actually said, they'd find this a fair summary. From the link I referenced on the first page:

Quote:
There are two interrelated obstacles to permanent peace in the Middle East:

1. Some Israelis believe they have the right to confiscate and colonize Palestinian land and try to justify the sustained subjugation and persecution of increasingly hopeless and aggravated Palestinians; and

2. Some Palestinians react by honoring suicide bombers as martyrs to be rewarded in heaven and consider the killing of Israelis as victories.

I don't see anything in that summary that is radical, slanted, biased, or anything else.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:52 am
For those who are interested Jimmy Carter will be the guest on tonight's "Charlie Rose Show".
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:59 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

You asked what, I told you.
<snicker>

Yes, you told me. And the answer was "nothing".
0 Replies