Online Job Hunt. How can I know if the site is legitimate?

Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 03:33 am
Bupkis. Very discouraging. My regular work is disappearing. Nothing new on the horizon. I keep looking.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:50 pm
Brendalee--

We're a wine-swilling bunch on A2K.

If you can afford to retire and would like to retire....start planning.

Leisure is lovely.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 04:04 pm
Roberta wrote:
Bupkis. Very discouraging. My regular work is disappearing. Nothing new on the horizon. I keep looking.

Damn.

I'm very sorry to hear that.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 02:25 am
dlowan wrote:
Roberta wrote:

Damn.

Found out earlier today that the reason the work is disappearing from my major client is that it's being outsourced--to countries where English is not the first language. Turns out the editing is not quite up to par (duh). So beginning now, they're not going to outsource the editing anymore. This may improve my work prospects. No promises or guarantees.

Is it just me or does it seem to you that having nonnative English speakers edit books in English is a f'king stoopid idea?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 05:00 am
Roberta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Roberta wrote:

Damn.

Found out earlier today that the reason the work is disappearing from my major client is that it's being outsourced--to countries where English is not the first language. Turns out the editing is not quite up to par (duh). So beginning now, they're not going to outsource the editing anymore. This may improve my work prospects. No promises or guarantees.

Is it just me or does it seem to you that having nonnative English speakers edit books in English is a f'king stoopid idea?

Doh.

Yes!

Crossed paws for lots of (interersting) work coming your way!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:47 am
Glad the outsourcing may be ceasing. I think I mentioned before trying to edit work done by non-native English speakers. Oof. Rough. (And what wasn't rough was plagiarized.) (Not casting generalized aspersions here, but the companies who do this to save a buck seem to get about what they pay for.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 04:26 pm
Go ahead and cast, soz. I don't blame a company for looking to save a buck. But rational thought should apply to what it is you're producing. Of course the decisions to outsource are not likely made by the people who actually do the producing. But this just seems completely loony to me.

I've worked on material written by people who are not native English speakers. Oy. Expecting these folks to do the editing is loony.

Coming to a theater near you...Major American Publishing--produced by Warner Bros. Th-th- that's all, folks.
0 Replies