Online Job Hunt. How can I know if the site is legitimate?

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:05 pm
Please, osso. Breathe in both directions. Either I'll get the job or I won't. I have no illusions. I've overqualified and old. On the other hand I'm very capable and can work with no supervision. It could go either way. I have to take an editing test. I smile. No big deal.

I just finished going through what passes for my wardrobe, trying to decide what to wear. Not much to choose from. I may end up wearing a pair of black slacks with a salmon sweater. Or a tenty black dress with some nice accessories. Everything else is too small, too big, or dated. I haven't bought any clothes in over a decade. My suit jackets are even older. They all have huge eighties shoulder pads.

I'm interviewing for a job as a steady freelancer, not an executive. I don't have to look snappy. Just neat and appropriate. (I guess.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:11 pm
Keep 'em, I bet the shoulder bits show up again soon. Knock em dead...
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 11:42 pm
I'm wishing you luck, Roberta!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 01:21 am
Roberta, I just discovered this thread. Let me join the others in wishing you the very best of luck for Tuesday. Don't worry overly much about looking "trendy". It's your skills that they're most interested in. In in that area, you have no peer! Very Happy

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you & willing things to go well for you, Roberta!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 03:48 am
osso, I think I'm gonna wear a turquoise and black striped jacket over the black dress. Shoulder pads, shmoulder pads.

caribou, Thanks.

msolga, Not worried so much about looking trendy as not looking like an antiquated impoverished shlemiel. You're right about my skills, though. I'm not so much immodest as realistic. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the willing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 10:13 am
http://spells-witchcraft.org/images/four-leaf-clover.jpg

An editing test? Smile, baby, smile. You're so so qualified.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 11:11 am
<sending more positive vibes to Roberta>

You should be a shoe-in, Roberta. I hope it works out for you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 11:16 am
All will be fine, Roberta!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 02:42 pm
A four-leaf clover, soz. I remember when I used to look for them. Finding one was a EVENT. Thanks.

JPB and Walter, Thanks.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 06:23 pm
Got every confidence in you. Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 03:27 am
Aw shucks. Thanks, Jes.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 11:43 am
wonder if she's done the interview yet. waiting ......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:01 pm
waiting ...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 04:33 pm
I'm back. Did the interview. Did the test. Have to do the second part of the test from home. Math and science books. Not my areas of expertise, which I told him. I had trouble following the instructions for what to do on the computer. (No big surprise there.) Man in charge was very helpful.

Nice, relaxed place. Very quiet.

I should know soon.

Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:06 pm
fingers crossed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:08 pm
hair braided
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:09 pm
legs crossed

(well, not much left to cross)

sounds promising, hope you get it!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:56 pm
Thanks, all. Please uncross whatever is crossed. I don't want you to hurt yourselves.

I'm not especially optimistic. I usually have no problems with editing tests, but this was two lessons from a math book. Not my area. Not very strong in this area. Also, the situation was strange. Edit the manuscript. Then enter the editing changes onto the computer. Made me uncomfortable. I was also sleepy. Not a good thing. So we'll see what happens.

He is supposed to send me the file for the science part of the test. Will I be able to open it and do what I'm supposed to do? Who knows?

I'm generally very confident about such things, but I'm not feeling confident at the moment. Keep thinking about things I should have done or looked for. Even with my limited knowledge in this area, I may have done reasonably well just based on my cumulative years of experience. But if he wants a math expoit, I ain't it. Ditto science.

So we'll just have to wait and see. He wants somebody to start soon, so I should know soon.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:00 am
I purchase an awful lot of services over the internet each month and a fair bit of it is writing.

I usually purchase from elance.com or rentacoder.com (yes, they have writing jobs as well).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:08 am
Thanks for the info, craven. I'm not a writer, at least not in the way you're suggesting. Yes, I've written books that have been published, but those were things I knew about and wanted to write about. Nevertheless, I will look into these sites. Can't hoit.

And thanks, again.
0 Replies