Online Job Hunt. How can I know if the site is legitimate?

TTH

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:10 am
Why am I here?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:16 am
Hey, Craven. Just checked out your sources. elancer has an editing and proofreading category. Didn't see anything I could bid on at the moment, but I'll check there daily and try to get the lay of the land.

Rentacoder was a bit harder for me to figure out. I'll go back and explore.

Thanks, kid. I'm very grateful. I'll check in at elancer every day, just as I check craigslist and a few other places. Quien sabe.

TTH, Dunno. You tell me.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:28 am
Now I know, my post was removed because it was a question. I have learned now I am not suppose to ask questions.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:33 am
Your post wasn't removed. How would I know to respond if it was removed? You asked a question. I responded. Kiddo. I'm concerned about you. Maybe you should start a thread and talk about how you're feeling. People will be helpful. I'm not good at that sort of thing, but a lot of people around here are.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:59 am
I appreciate the though but start a threat and talk about my feelings
now that is a joke. When I have expressed my feeling that is when the
cruelness and jokes start. That is not helpful. I am not going to exposs myself to that. Today was the last straw with caribou and her lies about me
I am sick and tired of it. I am sick and tired of defending myself on this forum.

I appreciate the suggestion Roberta.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:02 am
I don't mean to sound unfeeling. But I would prefer to keep the discussion on this thread focused on the topic. So I'm not going to respond to your comment beyond what I've just said.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:15 pm
I was supposed to receive the second part of the editing test via e-mail. It didn't arrive, so I sent an e-mail inquiring about whether he was planning to send it to me. No response. I'm not encouraged. Sigh.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:29 pm
It might come yet. If not this job, then another one -- keep yer chin up.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:30 pm
Sorry to hear that, Roberta.
Why (if they've decided not to further consider your application) can they just not let you know that you haven't got the job? Is that so difficult?
I hate employers like this! So rude & inconsiderate! Evil or Very Mad
But that may not be the end of that job, you know. It might just be slackness or incompetence ...
In the meantime, keep searching online for editing jobs that are really up your alley way!
Hang in there, & keep at it, Roberta!

Hugs & good luck,
Olga
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:42 pm
Not hearing anything after an interview is not uncommon. But leaving me dangling with half a test is another matter. Should I work on it or shouldn't I? This guy was interviewing a lot of people. Maybe he's busy. Who knows? It may not be the end of it. Or it may be.

I'll keep looking. Trying not to be discouraged.

Thanks for the support. You guys is great.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:46 pm
If you get the other part of the test. Do it.
They could be distracted and busy....
Try not to over analyze...
Keep hoping and looking. If not this job, then another will come along.
You will find the right job for you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:59 pm
Roberta

I don't think it's a good idea to contact them again. Once was enough of a reminder. Consider this just job one of a number you'll apply for.

Whether it's common or not for employers not to bother contacting applicants after interviews, it's extremely rude. I've had this happen before & it can be quite disillusioning. It doesn't take much to email a brief rejection message to all the unsuccessful applicants.

Yes, if the test arrives, Roberta, do it. Of course.

Just keep looking in the meantime. You might just find a job that better suits your skills!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:02 pm
Fingers and eyes crossed!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:18 pm
Y'know you got support from me.

Thing is, if you can wangle a more fitting - re subject matter - job of similar description, then you'll be glad these folks were a problem.
On problems, like a terrific editor and unfamiliar content, why can't they just discuss this stuff? Oh, ok, I suppose legal reasons.

I seem to remember you can handle very abstruse or obtuse, as fitting, subject matter.

My best jobs have come from straightforward interviewers. But then I haven't lived in the corporate world.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:30 pm
Foist, I gotta say, Caribou, why wouldn't I take the test if he sends it? I asked for it. Second, I'm not overanalyzing anything. Either I get the job or I don't. Either I did ok on the math or I didn't.

msolga, I may call, but I'm not planning to at the moment. Seems pointless.

Margo, please uncross everything. I don't want you to get into an accident.

osso, I told them at the outset that I have some experience with math but that it's not what I'm especially good at. The interview was basically nonexistent. I asked all the questions. (I was prepared.) I have worked on amazingly varied and asbtruse and obtuse stuff. But it's hard to do as a steady diet. Also, I'm not prepared to check whether the content is correct on this kind of stuff, something they might want. He didn't say.

BTW, this is not the corporate world. It's a small company--the guy in charge and a few freelancers from what I could see.

I do intend to keep looking. I might keep looking even if I get this job. A steady diet of math and science could make me crazier than I already am.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support, positive thoughts, and encouraging comments.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:55 am
Roberta--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:06 am
I'm holding, Noddy, I'm holding.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:37 am
"Should I work on it or shouldn't I?"

I thought that was a question about the next test.

I wish you the best.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:13 pm
This is what annoys me about employers - they think their time is the only one that matters.

My friend interviewed at my place (where I work) on my recommendation. My boss kept pushing me to get her to come in for an interview (when I said I knew someone who could do the job), and so I talked to my friend. It has been four weeks and three interviews later and they still have not offered her the job (although I know they have not interviewed anyone else and they are very keen on her). Bloody typical big company red tape. My friend is obviously concerned that something is wrong and she will not get an offer, when I know she will, but we may lose her if she interviews somewhere else! and it will be their own bloody fault! If it wasn't for me pushing my boss to get the finger out, and assuring my friend that she is not getting bad vibes, she would have been long gone.

I can't believe employers still treat would-be employees like this. How do we ever get to hire anybody here?????
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:49 pm
Caribou, My fault. I wasn't clear. I have the science test in paper form. That's what I meant about should I work on it or not. He told me I had to have the computer file to enter the changes from the paper file. He didn't send the computer file. Sorry for the confusion and if I sounded short.

heeven, I don't know why employers act the way they do when it comes to hiring. They're very cavalier about people's lives. It may be the most important thing in that person's life at the time. And when it comes to hiring in a big corporation, fuggedaboutit. As you said, how do you ever get to hire anybody?
0 Replies