Online Job Hunt. How can I know if the site is legitimate?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 01:03 am
It's very common and always startles me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 01:06 am
But, Heeven probably wasn't raised with my exact mother.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:23 am
Nor mine. LOL
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:51 am
heh...before I realized they were really saying "bookmark", I thought someone was making a commentary on my post.

Good luck to you Roberta in finding work. I lump sales, surveys, order taking (they really end of meaning selling) all in one bm, and I don't mean the bookmark kind.

although....I knew someone who did phone sex work. :wink: (Now I'm really kidding, don't expect you to do that...I'd personally end up laughing). It was interesting the way she said it worked, but she said it was really really boring. She even had her regulars. They'd call up asking for "Mindy" and she'd don the appropriate role out of the ones she created.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 01:42 pm
<<waving back>>

yes, I am bookmarking because this interests me, but I did not have any interesting or useful to add to the thread.

A typo, and it could have been BUM!

bum bum bum bum
bum bum bum bum
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:51 pm
Heeven, The initials were a mystery to me. I didn't think you were making a nasty remark. (BM where I come from stands for bowel movement.) I just couldn't figure out what you meant. Now I know. Another day older, another day smarter.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
I like I prefer your explanation of BM Roberta and so, in honor of you, I am going to use the words Bowel Movement in the future when I wish to bookmark a thread.

Excellent!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 06:26 am
Heeven, You realize, of course, that the only people who will know what you mean are those of us on this thread. I'll be interested in hearing about the reactions.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:11 pm
Sorry for my long absence. I got busy, and there was the prospect of a gigantic job that would have kept me busy for a year. I was concerned about starting something new with that hovering over my head. It's no longer hovering; it's on hold. Publishing. Feh.

I'll continue checking out the sites you suggested. I already went to a few and had some questions. I'll be back.

Can't tell you all how much I appreciate the info.

BTW, I looked into the place that seemed to be offering good money for little work. Not a scam, but not as advertised. I'll stick with what sounds legit.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:43 am
I went to all the sites suggested here. Do you suggest that I register with them all? Most? Some? I was hoping to get an idea of what might be available without having to register. I did try registering at writersrow. I was told there was an error and that my email address belonged to someone else. Unnerving.

Why am I having so much trouble? It might be in my head. I'm having some personal difficulties which may be making everything look bleak. Can't be sure. I'll try to clear my head and try again tomorrow.

Note: I'm really more an editor/proofeader than I am a writer. Never had a freelance writing assignment. (I've written a couple of books, but that's not quite the same as doing an assigned writing job.)

I tried google again, under freelance editor proofreader rather than part time. I found a few sites that look real and that are designed for freelancers only. Reluctant to sign up. I don't trust them to be legitimate.

Sorry to be so helpless and a pain the butt. I'm not usually so indecisive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:35 am
Craigslist doesn't require that you register. It's really very useful.

Since I've long wanted to be helpful and have been limited in my ability to do so, would it be OK if I go ahead and put stuff that you might be interested in here as I do my own Craigslist searches? I do them probably once a week if not more, and already in that category (especially editing/ proofreading), so wouldn't be much of an extra effort and might be useful.

As a total aside, I find it extremely irritating that my spelling and grammar are both getting worse the more that I edit. I know why. I've always been an "it doesn't look right" editor. I was an English major but went light on the grammar courses, and actually skipped my middle school English class because it was so terribly boring and I took some test showing I knew it all already. But that was all just from reading a lot and internalizing what was right and wrong.

Now I'm reading a lot of horrible, horrible, misspelled prose, and it's messing things up. I'm no longer as sure of spellings, especially. Driving me bonkers. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:13 pm
Soz, Your posting jobs here would be wonderful . . . except what's to prevent someone here from applying for them? Jees, I'm so untrusting. Maybe this is why I haven't been able to get myself to get into these places. The fact is that if somebody else wants to go after one, so be it.

As for your aside, I'm in the same boat. Learned all my grammar skills on the job. This is one reason why I have trouble in the English forum explaining why something is wrong. I know it's wrong, but I can identify the specific English rule that explains why? Not likely. Some days I have to check everything. Nothing looks right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:19 pm
Yep. That's me, too. You'd think that all this checking would get me back to baseline at least, but no, I keep deteriorating. Pttht.

Meanwhile, happy to PM you, no particular increase in effort and I know what you mean. I really doubt that anyone else here is more qualified than you are (including me -- I'd send you the stuff that makes me go "oooh!" but I know I couldn't get), but PM'ing would be no trouble 'tall.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:24 pm
Thanks, kid. Getting all weepy at how grateful I am. I've been having a hard year. Sometimes I just don't function very well--except at doing my work. Somehow I can focus and just do it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:26 pm
Yay!

Seriously, few things irritate me more than seeing someone I like in distress and not being able to do anything about it. Maybe this'll help, maybe not, but at least I'll be DOING!

Off to craigslist...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 11:38 pm
UPDATE

First with Soz's help and now on my own, I've been checking craigslist every day. I find it the best for me because it's possible to easily segregate telecommuting and part-time jobs. I've applied for a few jobs. So far, no luck. I'll keep plugging away.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:09 am
Go Roberta!

As an aside, I kind of mindlessly send out the applications on an ongoing basis, a little of this, a little of that. I just got an email out of nowhere asking me if I was still interested in a job I applied for (and didn't get) a long time ago -- not sure how long, but long enough that I have no memory of it. The position I originally applied for was filled but a new one is open and they contacted promising applicants from the last go-round before placing a new ad. Will be doing an online interview this evening.

Whether or not I get it, sometimes the applications take a while to pay off.

Best of luck!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 12:16 pm
Thanks, Soz.

I tutored (as a volunteer) ESL for nine years. I've seen a few ads for part-time ESL teaching jobs. I'm creating an ESL resume so I can apply. It doesn't amount to much, but my editing resume attached to it will make it look less skimpy.

I've also looked for part-time receptionists, assistants, etc. But the pay is so low that it wouldn't be worth the round trip to get to and from the job.

I have a lead on at-home transcription. And someone sent me a job lead. The application will take me hours to complete. But I'll do it and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the help and advice. I'll let you know what, if anything, happens.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 05:52 pm
I have a job interview scheduled for this coming Tuesday. Got it through craigslist. It's pretty much what I've been looking for. Part time, decent pay. Doing what I know how to do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:05 pm
Holds breath.
0 Replies