Online Job Hunt. How can I know if the site is legitimate?

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:45 pm
Got the computer part of the science test today--with an apology for the delay.

I'll do a thorough and careful job. Glad to know I'm still in the running.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:50 pm
Now, that does sound better - if not really good!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:26 pm
hovering & waiting for further developments .....

Good luck, Roberta.
(I knew they wouldn't be stupid enough to reject you that easily!)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 04:41 am
I found a job listing on craigslist that asks the person applying for the job to write something that would improve on the example given in the listing. (They're looking for somebody to write a bunch of these kinds of things.) It sounded like it might be fun. Then it occurred to me that if I and 50 or 100 other people write something better, they'll have all they need and won't have to hire anybody.

How would I (or any applicant) ever know whether they hired somebody or just took our ideas? Am I being too suspicious?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
How long is the "example" they had in the ad?

It may just be that they are shopping for the best editor and need to see the quality of work each of the applicants bring to the table and then select one (or more) based on if they like what they see.

In order to properly rewrite something, it takes more than one pass at it. Generally the person rewriting is not aware of what the person who needs it rewritten is trying to put forward. It takes a bit of collaboration.

Is this an online job where you never get to meet your employer? or will you meet who you (might) work for? How would you get paid?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:38 am
I've seen those, Roberta, I know what you mean.

I haven't figured out any magic indicator as to whether they're legitimate or not. Often the illegitimate ones will be flagged by the savviest users and will disappear. There was one that I was convinced was using my application for nefarious ends, and then turned out to be totally legitimate after all (they just didn't hire ME).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:49 am
Heeven, They're not looking for editors. And what they want written would be a few sentences--one paragraph at most. The example in the ad is two sentences. It's a telecommuning job. I'd never meet them. And they say that compensation is negotiable. They don't ask for a resume, cover letter, references. Just send the sample.

Soz, On the one hand I thought, what the hell. If I could come up with something clever that was two or three sentences long, why not send it? It's not as if it would take a lot of my time. On the other hand, I don't like to be taken advantage of. And my gut (a highly suspicious gut) tells me that this is what's going on here.

If I think of something clever, I may do it.

BTW, soz, how did you find out it was legit?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:47 pm
I sent out my resume last night. A copyediting job. Heard from them today! They sifted through hundreds of resumes. I'm a contender. Unlike the last response I got, this is not math and science. This is English and social studies. I've received the tests. I'm cautiously optimistic.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:53 pm
Cool!

I only just saw your added question, about how I knew it was legit...

For this job, I made the first cut and then as part of the thorough application I was supposed to submit humorous anecdotes about my kid. (Gee, that's tough!) I submitted. Nothing happened. I followed up. Nothing happened. I became convinced that they were just collecting humorous anecdotes for their own collection, or to submit to Reader's Digest, or SOMETHING. Got huffy.

The job was for a website that they were supposedly developing, the name of which was mentioned during the application process (after I made the first cut), and I plugged in the domain every now and then to see if it was up yet... still nothing. Assumed it was all a scam.

Then about a year later, read about the site in the NYT. Plugged in the domain again and there it was, a parenting website, with a MAJOR media sponsor.

I'm still annoyed I didn't get the job, but am convinced that it wasn't a scam.

And truth be told I like my current job better. I think it's less stress than the other one would have been.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:53 pm
All right, Bubula!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:54 pm
Or is that, "alright, Bubula!"
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:57 pm
It's not steady work, which is what I'd prefer. It's more freelance work. But I'd be very, very happy to expand my client base, which is shrinking steadily. Too much outsourcing going on.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:59 pm
Osso, All right--two words. Thanks for the support.

Soz, Thanks for clearing that up. Couldn't understand how you could know. Now I do.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 04:27 pm
Roberta wrote:
I'm a contender.... I've received the tests. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Of COURSE you're a contender! You're going to knock their socks off, Roberta.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 04:38 pm
Roberta wrote:
Heeven, They're not looking for editors. And what they want written would be a few sentences--one paragraph at most. The example in the ad is two sentences. It's a telecommuning job. I'd never meet them. And they say that compensation is negotiable. They don't ask for a resume, cover letter, references. Just send the sample.

Soz, On the one hand I thought, what the hell. If I could come up with something clever that was two or three sentences long, why not send it? It's not as if it would take a lot of my time. On the other hand, I don't like to be taken advantage of. And my gut (a highly suspicious gut) tells me that this is what's going on here.

If I think of something clever, I may do it.

BTW, soz, how did you find out it was legit?

Here ya go, Roberta. Send them this!

We are a tele-commuting firm, earnestly looking for valuable employees who don't need resumes, cover letters or references to show off their work. Such earnest copy editors cannot resist temptation to rewrite this simple ad and trustingly submit it to us for evaluation. Of course, any future ads of ours that resemble any submissions are merely coincidence.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 05:54 pm
Thanks for the vote of confidence, JPB. There was a time when I would have shared that confidence. The past few years have taken a toll--on my confidence and, I think, on my abilities. Still pretty good, though.

Love it, Butrfly. Truly love it. Wish I'd thought of it. Maybe I'll send it and take the credit. Butrflynet? Never heard of such a person.

LOL.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:27 am
Go ahead and do that, Roberta. That's why I posted it. Please do. If they are legitimate, they'll appreciate you pointing out the odd impression their ad gives, and why they are probably getting such strange responses.

That's the sort of person I'd want to hire to write ad copy for me.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:11 pm
I have a job interview Monday for work that would be steady. They want more hours than I can give, though. We're going to discuss that.

I'll keep you posted.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:25 pm
Roberta--

What time on Monday? I want to Think Firmly for you.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
4 p.m., Noddy. Firm thinking appreciated.
0 Replies