Online Job Hunt. How can I know if the site is legitimate?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:50 pm
Roberta--

You're on my calendar.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:43 am
My interview was canceled (flooding). It may be rescheduled. They want more hours than I'm willing to give. I may get other kinds of work from them. Freelance rather than part time. I'm glad to expand my client base. Would like part-time work, though.

We'll talk again about the interview and job later this week.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:43 pm
Roberta--

Ugh. At least you didn't have to venture out in this unseasonable slop.

I'll keep my fingers crossed about good, reliable, part-time employment.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:34 pm
Thanks, kid.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:25 pm
Flooding, eek.

Good look with take two...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 03:43 pm
After my discussion today with the woman who cancelled the appointment, I doubt that I'll be considered for the part-time job. They want 9-5, Mon-Thur. One day away from having to provide benefits. I told her I'd work 4 hours a day 5 days a week--only 20 hours. I also explained why. I worked almost full time for a company. Lost all my other clients. Then the company decided to do away with my kind of freelance help. We were all let go. I lost some clients and never got them back. A year later they changed their mind. Come back. I knew I was taking a chance, but the money was good and the work was steady. I said yes. They let us go again.

I vowed I'd never let that happen again. Too risky to put all my eggs in one basket.

They're now talking about hiring me as a freelancer--editor or whatever. Not the job advertised. But I'd be happy to have a new client.

We'll see what happens.

BTW, I didn't mention to the woman that I don't have the physical stamina to work eight hours in a row. I occasionally work long hours at home. But I break up the day. Three hours here, two hours there. If I was physically able to work full days, I'd look for a higher-level higher-paying job.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:47 pm
Fingers crossed for you, Roberta!

I have the feeling that they may realize that you're great value - on your own terms!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:00 am
How odd that they didn't make their requirements absolutely clear in the first place.

Of course, they could have trouble filling a without-benefits position and be willing to come to an accommodation with you.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:20 am
bump
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:49 am
Aw, was hoping it would be good news... (is it?)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:55 am
Hey, Roberta!

How's the job hunting going?

How are YOU?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:55 pm
Had a very promising interview yesterday. Hoping for the best. It's a job teaching ESL, one of my very favorite things.

I continue to check out the links in this thread, hence the bump. Sorry if it caused you to think something had happened.

I had decided not to write about interviews, tests, etc. I promise to let you know if I get a job.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 05:14 pm
I know what you mean, Roberta. The first few jobs I applied for I really thought I'd get and I told everyone who was interested about them -- didn't get 'em. Told fewer people the longer the whole process dragged on. I didn't even tell that many people when I got my current job -- wasn't sure if it would work out, didn't want to jinx anything -- and people keep saying "What? You have a job now? When did that happen?"

<knock on wood>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:29 pm
Roberta wrote:
Had a very promising interview yesterday. Hoping for the best. It's a job teaching ESL, one of my very favorite things.

I continue to check out the links in this thread, hence the bump. Sorry if it caused you to think something had happened.

I had decided not to write about interviews, tests, etc. I promise to let you know if I get a job.

I thought there must have been a reason for the bump & I see there is, Roberta!

But I am not going to hex your chances by going on & on about it & demanding day by day progress reports! I promise. :wink:

I'm just quietly thinking to myself that is new prospect sounds just right for you. And you know I have my fingers firmly crossed & wishbone & rabbit's foot & all the rest at work for you! Very Happy

Now shut up already, Olga!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:35 pm
Roberta ... click and go to "play"

"where did you park your DeLorean?" :wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 10:19 pm
Oy, Beth. Definitely confronted the shoulder pad problem. Removed them from what I wore. The shoulders probably didn't lay right, but at least I didn't look like a football player.

Spent some time contemplating the wardrobe dilemma. Ultimately decided to wear something neat, clean, and neither here nor there. Wore some nice accessories. I was determined to let the power of my wanting it and my thoughts and feelings on the subject override the Delorean look. I hope they did.

We'll see. I refuse to be optimistic--or pessimistic. We'll see what happens.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 11:22 am
Roberta--

Remember Athena--and your owl--are powerful avatars.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 06:48 pm
work
Hi since I am just trying to get use to being in a site like this I have pick you to try my hand at speaking to . I hope you do not mind.
Work is work is work. As one who had moved from Kingston Ont. to Tronot Ont. the idea of being a Real Estate Broker in this city was more than I could absorb so I did the tranferable skill thing and I ended up in my job .
Not only do they want customer service we are regulated by the government time frames and internal stuff .

I think now that I am of an age that I do not want to work any more I woould like to not work anny more .

I would like to votenteer at the Bata Shoe Musium as it has a lot of hisotry about shoes and the hisotrical events of times when thesoes were in fashion .

I would give you the web site but I do not know how to do that yet.

Hope you are doing your survial thing
Just to let you know I have had 3 big glasses of wine.

I did spell check on this thing and nothing happend so if there is spelling errors not my fault .
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:12 pm
Hi Brendalee, Don't mind at all that you chose me to speak to.

I can relate to your not wanting to work anymore. If I had my druthers, I'd retire in a heartbeat. No choice. Need money.

What would you do as a volunteer at the museum? Give tours? Office help? If it interests you, why not pursue it? If not now, eventually.

Take care.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 12:51 am
So....Boida...how IS the job hunt going?
0 Replies