I'M GLAD I WAS WRONG

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:24 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Here is a question for you Nimh:

When did Lieberman become an "independent".

As soon as he decided to run for Senate on an independent ticket. (I'm sure he isn't the first independent candidate to run who tried to win a party primary first.)

ebrown_p wrote:
What if, after Lieberman had won the primary, Lamont had decided to form his own party and run in the general election. Would this have made Lamont an "independent".

Of course it would have! (And I bet that you wouldn't have complained about anyone calling him that either.)

ebrown_p wrote:
He is still an establishment guy.

And?

Look, you try to apply some esoteric definition of "independent" that means a candidate has to meet your moral standards of courage and outsiderness first, before he can be called one. You're welcome to your own definition, but it's simply not one thats used elsewhere. Which raises the question how it is a "ridiculous position" of ours to call Lieberman the same thing the journalists, pollsters, mapmakers and whoever call him.

He ran an independent ticket - he's elected as an independent. Whether you like him or not, or what you think of his values, is irrelevant.

Here:

Elweed Dowd at the Daily Kos wrote:
For a while every major paper seems to have a dual profile of Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman. Both are Independent candidates for Senate

Washington Post wrote:
Joe Lieberman of Connecticut appears likely to return to Congress as an independent

Boston Globe wrote:
Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut , the Democrats' vice presidential nominee in 2000 who lost the Democratic primary in August, will return to the Senate as an independent.

NYTimes wrote:
Bernard Sanders, the senator-elect from Vermont, is an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, and Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut is a Democrat, although he ran for re-election as an independent

Salon wrote:
Joe Lieberman, who lost a primary, now running strongly as an independent against anti-war Democrat Ned Lamont

Sheesh.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:41 pm
Independants are not all one thing. That's why they're Independants.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:42 pm
Nor are republicans and democrats.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:47 pm
As you may know, Pelosi ruled out impeachment for Bush. Maybe she is holding out for trying Bush as a war criminal. There is no doubt that he is a war criminal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
Advocate, That makes sense to me! It might also depend on who Pelosi selects as chair of the Intelligence Committee. Harmon wants it, but they're not exactly at friendly terms.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:55 pm
My question: if there are 49 R senators, 49 D senators and 2 I senators, how is the majority formed? Based on who the I senators decide to caucus with?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
My question: if there are 49 R senators, 49 D senators and 2 I senators, how is the majority formed? Based on who the I senators decide to caucus with?

Are you seriously asking this and starting some provocation I don't get?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:03 pm
Advocate, "As you may know, Pelosi ruled out impeachment for Bush. Maybe she is holding out for trying Bush as a war criminal. There is no doubt that he is a war criminal." Could be. Hopefully. First things first and that's honest and open investigations.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:11 pm
I was writing tongue in cheek. However, Bush is almost as bad as Saddam. He went into Iraq for oil and political capital. He cared little for the hundreds of thousands of victims of his misadventure. But he will live out his life in comfortable retirement at considerable taxpayer expense.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:15 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Independants are not all one thing. That's why they're Independants.

cicerone imposter wrote:
Nor are republicans and democrats.

thank god. stepford people weird me out... Shocked

i'm happy that pelosi is not hot on impeachment. president dick cheny? yuck!

there's too much mess to clean up to spend too much time and energy on political hangings right now..

however, if someone wants to slap him after he leaves the building, i'm all for seeing him have to account for himself publicly.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Are you seriously asking this and starting some provocation I don't get?

Preconceived notions Walter? I am asking a serious question.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:32 pm
You answered your own question, McGentrix.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:38 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You answered your own question, McGentrix.

I wasn't absolutely sure that was how it was done or not. Can the I senators change who the caucus with at any time?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:45 pm
A provocateur without a clue.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:47 pm
Back off, Cicerone.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:47 pm
A little civility hurts no one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:48 pm
gus, Yes, sir!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
gus, Yes, sir!

I do hope my snappiness had no ill effects on our friendship, CI.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:51 pm
gus, It'll take more than a little snappiness to lose my high regards for you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:51 pm
Whew.
0 Replies