I'M GLAD I WAS WRONG

blueflame1

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:26 pm
The Israeli/Palestinian conflict in Gaza and the war in Lebanon did impact on the election and solutions to those conflicts certainly are part of the mandate in the election. Possible war with Iran also played a role. Americans are war weary.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:33 pm
Bullshit, Blue. If you want to ride your hobby horse, go elsewhere. You have not been discussing the topic, you're just ranting about Israel.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:48 pm
I'm ranting about what it takes to make peace in the ME which was certainly on the minds of voters on election day. It's a war weary electorate. http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=war+weary&btnG=Search+News
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:07 pm
This is how Bushie framed the issues days before the election on a huge right wing forum. "Bush : U.S. Must Stay In Iraq To Control Oil And Protect Israel" http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article15473.htm
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:35 am
Setanta

Trying to stop Blueflame from spewing his anti-Israel bile would be like standing at the oceans edge and trying to stop the tide.
He manages to along with several others to fit it in wherever he can whether relevant or not. I would not dare to venture a motive other than I guess it satisfies a need on his part to be able to blame the Israelis for all the ills of the world. I think that's called scapegoating. .
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:45 am
au, so now it's anti-Israel bile? No longer anti-semitism? Certainly I do believe in regime change in Israel. Time to tear down the Apartheid Wall.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:55 am
blueflame1 wrote:
au, so now it's anti-Israel bile? No longer anti-semitism? Certainly I do believe in regime change in Israel. Time to tear down the Apartheid Wall.

When may i ask did I acuse you of anti-semitism. As for your bias your words leave very little room for doubt. The Israei's can do no right and every act of terrorism by the Arabs is justified. I should have added in my post that I have taken to ignore your posts relative to the Israeli/palestinian conflict since they are essentially boilerplate.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:07 am
au, actually my views on Israel's inhumane treatment of Palestinians is by far a majority opinion on this planet. Even a majority of Israelis want to end the occupation and a 2 state solution using 1967 boundaries. My views are similar to what the Roadmap to Peace says and that reflects America's official position. "In 2003 the U.S. -led Quartet, which includes the United Nations, Russia, and the European Union, launched a Roadmap to Peace. Among the objectives in this document, the Roadmap to Peace is to bring an end to the Israeli occupation and create a "viable" Palestinian state. The steps to achieving these goals include an end to "confiscation and/or demolition of Palestinian homes and property" as well as to "destruction of Palestinian institutions and infrastructure." The Roadmap also calls on Israel to take "measures to improve the humanitarian situation [in the occupied territories] (9)."

However, it is clear that the construction of the Wall - through home demolition, land confiscation, the uprooting of crops, the isolation of communities, and seperation from vital resources - undermines the prospect of a viable Palestinian state, and precludes the possibility of a two-state solution. These actions contradict the stipulations of the Roadmap, yet the Quartet has not taken further measures to ensure its proper implementation, and the U.S. Congress has failed to hold the Israeli government accountable, despite Congress' large aid package to Israel." http://www.afsc.org/israel-palestine/learn/wall.htm
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
mysteryman wrote:
To be honest,I dont see how the dems can do much of anything now.
Bush still has the power of the veto,and I think he will use it.

The dems cant raise taxes,because they know that would be political suicide.

I think Bush will not hesitate to use the veto either, so you will begin to see the Dems beat him over the head with bills that he will have a problematic time vetoing - things like minimum wage increases, college tuition assistance, etc., populist ideas.

As for raising taxes? They sure as hell can raise taxes. We need to raise taxes, because our gov't is deeply in deficit and debt and it needs to be addressed before it gets out of control. You can't get something for nothing, and you especially can't get good something for nothing.

In fact, all they need to do is to keep the Bush tax cuts from being reauthorized this year, and they will expire on their own.

Quote:

I dont see how the dems can accomplish most of the things they claimed to want.

One thing that they want, and can accomplish, is oversight. You should get ready to see each and every admin. official who had anything to do with Iraq - and especially with the billions of dollars lost there for no good reason - in front of congress testifying under oath. Alberto Gonzales will be back, and under oath, to talk about the domestic spying program and internet spying programs. Heads of energy companies will be subpoena'd in and placed under oath to talk about meeting with Cheney in 2000. It's going to be fun!

Quote:
Either way,I'm gonna buy some popcorn and an "E-ticket",and sit back and watch.

Its gonna be fun to watch.

Yup

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:17 am
The Dems can certainly raise taxes without committing suicide. Clinton raised taxes on the wealthy without hurting himself and the Dems. The Dems can also stop the effort to repeal the federal estate tax without suffering reprisals.

Still licking their wounds, I am not sure that the Reps will make a big effort to protect the super-wealthy from paying higher taxes. If they do make a big effort, the public may come down on them in a big way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:29 pm
I agree with Cyclo and Advocate; raising taxes on the wealthy will hurt nobody. Tax cuts for the middle class and poor will help everybody, because they will spend it and help our economy.

I also agree with blueflame on Israel. It is an apartheid state that takes away most legal rights of Palestinians. I know I wouldn't want to live in similar circumstances as a citizen of any country. Those supporting the status quo just doesn't understand or care just because they are not Jews. As blueflame has stated, many Jews are against the Israeli apartheid. To get a better understanding of how conditions are today in Israel for the Palestinians, read "The Other Side of Israel" by Susan Nathan. It's an eye-opener.
0 Replies