I'M GLAD I WAS WRONG

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:27 am
Prior to this mid-term election, i consistently stated that i did not believe that the Democrats would successfully overcome the power of incumbency. I was wrong, and i'm glad of it. In large measure, the Republicans melted down in the last two months before the election, but it now appears that the Democrats might have gotten a bare majority on the basis of the war and the Shrub even without the Repubican meltdown. I think that the outrageous scandals and the charge of corruption have helped the Democrats to be more successful than they might otherwise have been.

However, they now find themselves in an uneviable position. Newt Gingrich has said the Miss Pelosi needed only to run on a slogan of "Had enough?" which is basically what his message was in 1994 when the Republicans captured the House. But as he, and many other pundits have pointed out, the Democrats will now have to deliver, whereas previously they were only obliged to point out Republican faults, and could luxuriate in their powerlessness while playing the "I told you so" game.

Now they have to deliver on their campaign promises, and there is going to be Hell to pay if they don't deliver at least some of the pie in the sky which politicians traditionally promise. Very likely, they will be able to pass their social security reform, because no politician ever wants to be seen as opposing the wishes of the strongest, most reliable voting block in the electorate. Very likely, they will succeed in ending subsidies to oil companies, because the oil companies get little sympathy among the electorate. They might pass a minimum wage bill (which i think is long overdue), but the Shrub can veto such a measure with much less fear of negative consequence for the Republicans (being a lame duck, however, doesn't mean he can completely ignore the worries of his party).

Iraq will be the biggest problem the Democrats have to deal with. Barak Obama has said there there are no good options for dealing with Iraq, only bad options and worse options. This likely will be the make or break issue for the future prospects of Democrats, and it will likely still be a powerful issue in 2008.

What are your thoughts on what the Democrats must do now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,508 • Replies: 250
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:43 am
I think all Republicans, Democrats, Independents and crackpots should wish you a happy birthday.

Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:46 am
I agree with your take on it, Setanta, and... have a wonderful birthday.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:47 am
Oh, let me be the 2nd Canadian to wish you a happy birthday. I promise to be nice to you today. Laughing

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/3566.gif
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:47 am
Oh, happy birthday!!

Thinking about your question, not sure. Careful planning and careful choosing of battles is in my answer somewhere.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:54 am
Yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

And I agree with your basic assessment, Set. A lot of people are going to be looking very closely at what the democratic party does next. They are in a tough position and I think they would have been better off leaving things in republican hands until 08. But we shall certainly see. I hope they now do more than just talk about what Bush is doing wrong and put some ideas out there. I'll be listening and my 08 vote will hang in the balance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:59 am
Thanks to all for your good wishes.

CR is right that the Democrats will have to keep '08 in mind, and be very careful. It will certainly be an interesting Congress. Iraq will likely be a spoiler for everyone, including the Democrats. The minimum wage will be a battle, and the Democrats cannot avoid bringing it forward. One thing the pundits have not stressed is that many of the Democrats in the House are centrist or even conservative Democrats, while Pelosi and the soon to be appointed committe chairs will come from the liberal wing of the party. The Democrats don't have an easy job ahead of them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
Sending wishes for a pleasant birthday, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:02 am
Thanks Boss.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:09 am
Setanta wrote:
The minimum wage will be a battle, and the Democrats cannot avoid bringing it forward.

But, judging on the mostly lopsided margins with which the various ballot initiatives around the country to raise the minimum wage have passed,

I'd say it's a battle that they can only benefit from. Its a hugely popular issue, apparently, and if the Republicans have any sense they'll actually just go along with this one and pick other battles.

And a happy birthday to you Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:10 am
And from Germany with love ... oops, that part is already taken Embarrassed

Nevertheless: wellcome in the club of the one-year-olders!
And happy birthday as well!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:13 am
Good to have you back, Set, and have a very happy birthday.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:13 am
Joyeux anniversaire, Set! (So many years after Harry Truman!)

I'll follow what the democrats do...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:15 am
Merci, Mon Vieux . . . Harry Truman ? ! ? ! ? Tu souviens trop . . .

I'm interested in getting the "we won" party wrapped up, and in seeing some discussion about what the Democrats are now faced with. Talk about a hangover . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:34 am
The Democrats may be able to deliver on some of their promises. But solving the Iraqi mess will require a miracle.

P.S. Happy and above healthy birthday.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:48 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm interested in getting the "we won" party wrapped up, and in seeing some discussion about what the Democrats are now faced with. Talk about a hangover . . .

Oh, I dunno Set. The "party" has only been going for less than 24 hours - after six years of depression.

Democrats are so bad at just celebrating, even just once... They're so much better at self-doubt, at recrimination and self-recrimination, factionalist debate, "where did we go wrong" and "i'm not sure this isnt still going to go wrong" and "see how it could still go wrong?"

I'm the last one to talk (predicting the Reps keeping the Senate 52/48, for example) - I'm not exactly a natural optimist either, and tend to want serious discussion all the time. And in fact, this post itself is again an example, actually, of exactly what I'm describing! Heh.

So - we/you just had the first national election victory in 8 years. Grant yourself a little more than 6 hours to enjoy it before sinking into troublement again. Feel good about it for a coupla days. Hey, its your birthday Razz
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:50 am
Yeah, High-five Nimh!

Party!!!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:57 am
<grins and does silly dance>
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:04 am
It's unbelievable. I mean, who would have thought the Dems would take the whole taco a month ago, two?

Bush is in big, big trouble. I've said before many times that they cannot stand up to investigation - the light of day will ruin many of their plans. Remember that there are undoubtedly many secret activities going on behind the scenes which are just as illegal/immoral/unethical as those which have been revealed through leaks. Now we will find out to a certain extent.

I believe Pelosi et al will start investigating things, and then just let it snowball... later on you'll hear 'it wasn't our intention to impeach, but once we learned the truth, what choice did we have?'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:11 am
Ya think so, for real? Hadn't thought of that scenario....

juicy...
0 Replies