I'M GLAD I WAS WRONG

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:44 pm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, set. Iraq is the BIG issue for the democrats for the next two years, I agree. How they handle it will make all the difference; they just can't afford to ignore it.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:01 pm
A New Dawn in America, The Tsunami of Change

by Anthony Wade

November 7, 2006

America will wake up on November 8th, 2006 from a five year long nightmare. The sun is rising on America with the chance to set a new course for a country led so far astray, for so long. As Americans we all marched to the polls and took our country back from the most cynical, vilest forces of the fringe of this country. People who preyed upon our fears and sense of collective loss. People who used our collective grief from 911 to advance the most sinister of agendas that benefited only the most affluent in society. The wave that started last night when the first results started coming in did not stop until it had morphed into a tsunami washing away the filth and morass that has held us all captive during the start of the 21st century.
http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_anthony__061107_a_new_dawn_in_americ.htm
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:07 pm
Happy bithday setanta mate.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:26 pm
Setanta!!

Happy Birthday!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:41 pm
The best solution for the Iraq problem is to bring this issue to the American people for open disucssions on what they want, then proceed from there. Stay the course and Rummy is doing a good job is never the solution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
I would like to see a lot more time devoted to repairing damage for the good of the present and future rather than investigating the past. I'd like to see the democrats focused on fixing the lack of oversight in times of crisis, firewalling, catering to special interests and also preserving the record.

Reinforce the public information act, limit use and power of presidential signing statements and create strict sunshine laws to bring the bonds between special interests, lobbyists and government employees out from the shadows.

Yes, we need to know what happened in order to fix it. But not knowing shouldn't stop the forward movement toward restructuring to prevent it from recurring.

That's why the democrats were given the mid-term majority, to do the needed repairs to our governing mechanisms.

CAN they do that re signing statements?

Yes. The Congress can thwart the President by not voting the appropriations necessary for his pet projects, and the President can thwart the Congress by simply failing to disburse funds appropriated for their pet projects. In a worst case scenario, Congress can tie the President's hands in the use of executive orders by using the glare of public scrutiny (Congressional investigations and the subpoena of witnesses and documents) and hamstring the Administration by keeping executive branch officials in front of committees and the television cameras. When the Senate decided to investigate the break-in at the Watergate Hotel in 1972, they made it impossible for Nixon to get any business done, and John Mitchell, then Attorney General, eventually destroyed his own career on national television because he finally lost it in front of the cameras, and ended by assaulting reporters and swearing for the microphones.

That's no way to run a government, but there is no reason for the Democrats to back down now, and i doubt that they will. The Shrub will be a lame duck, but he'll still need to get along with the Congress, or the Democrats will effectively shut down his entire agenda.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:51 pm
Why did Bush delay his Rumsfeld announcement?
I've been trying to figure out why Bush waited until after the election to announce Rumsfeld's resignation. I think this has been planned for several weeks, even months. It certainly was not his explanation that he didn't want it to be a factor in the election. If he had announced it before the election, he might have retained control of the senate, maybe even the house.

So why didn't he do it? Above all, Bush wants to guard his legacy. I'm beginning to think that both Bush and Rumsfeld know that Iraq is not salvageable and we will be forced to leave it to regional chaos and expanded violence. That wouldn't be good for his legacy. So maybe he wanted the Democrats to take over the house (probably didn't expect a senate takeover.) Why would he do that? Well, if he can't solve the Iraq problem, he probably thinks the Democrats won't be able to as well. So when Iraq and the region go to hell, who will get the blame? The Democrats. After all, they were in charge when hell lit up. Blame the Democrats---protect his legacy. It's sets up the Democrats for failure in the 2008 election. Better to lose control of congress during two years of a bad time if you end up winning in 2008.

Sounds like something Karl Rove would dream up, don't you think? Bush sacrificed his Republican Party candidates to protect his legacy. That's very typical of Bush's priorities.

Am I nuts, or is this possible?

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:14 pm
BBB, Even though Rummy's ouster has been planned for several weeks, Bush announced just a few days ago that Cheney and Rummy are staying in his administration for the next two years.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:14 pm
Bush has a credibility problem.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:31 pm
Setanta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
I would like to see a lot more time devoted to repairing damage for the good of the present and future rather than investigating the past. I'd like to see the democrats focused on fixing the lack of oversight in times of crisis, firewalling, catering to special interests and also preserving the record.

Reinforce the public information act, limit use and power of presidential signing statements and create strict sunshine laws to bring the bonds between special interests, lobbyists and government employees out from the shadows.

Yes, we need to know what happened in order to fix it. But not knowing shouldn't stop the forward movement toward restructuring to prevent it from recurring.

That's why the democrats were given the mid-term majority, to do the needed repairs to our governing mechanisms.

CAN they do that re signing statements?

Yes. The Congress can thwart the President by not voting the appropriations necessary for his pet projects, and the President can thwart the Congress by simply failing to disburse funds appropriated for their pet projects. In a worst case scenario, Congress can tie the President's hands in the use of executive orders by using the glare of public scrutiny (Congressional investigations and the subpoena of witnesses and documents) and hamstring the Administration by keeping executive branch officials in front of committees and the television cameras. When the Senate decided to investigate the break-in at the Watergate Hotel in 1972, they made it impossible for Nixon to get any business done, and John Mitchell, then Attorney General, eventually destroyed his own career on national television because he finally lost it in front of the cameras, and ended by assaulting reporters and swearing for the microphones.

That's no way to run a government, but there is no reason for the Democrats to back down now, and i doubt that they will. The Shrub will be a lame duck, but he'll still need to get along with the Congress, or the Democrats will effectively shut down his entire agenda.

I'm referring to an entirely different form of abuse of the signing statement then the worse case scenario Setana describes from the Nixon era.

I've started a new thread on the topic of signing statements so we can single out that issue and discuss it.

It's here, if you wish to join the discussion:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2368762#2368762
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:45 pm
me too set.

i don't care is bush is impeached althought i suspect he ought to be with with his lies towards the american peole vis a vis iraq.

what i want is a reinforcement of traditional structures and strictures preventing unrestrained executive branch power, i want a national health care policy, a national energy policy and a national trade policy.

instead of folks who pathological refuse to accept reality and hold to the delusion that reality can be changed by mere rhethoric, i want pragmatic policies that bear fruit.

my prediction was a bit light i called for 229-230 dems in the House and i picked each dem senator victory.

i look to jim webb, senator- elect from virginia to speak truth to power and believe that he will. jim webb is the only candidate i sent money to directly. damned happy he won.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:10 pm
Re: Why did Bush delay his Rumsfeld announcement?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I've been trying to figure out why Bush waited until after the election to announce Rumsfeld's resignation. I think this has been planned for several weeks, even months

He admitted that he was lying, see the Bush admits lying thread.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:10 am
That whole rumsfeld thing is such a shocker, I was so unusually busy yesterday that I didn't find out about until late in the evening.

think progress has the Transcript: of Bush explaining why he lied about it. Bizarre.

In any event, this might help things in Iraq since Gates will be working with Baker who has a completely different outlook of the situation now in Iraq than the rumsfeld crowd. Can't hurt anyway.

Anyway, Pelosi has already laid out plans for the first 100 hours when they return to congress after the holiday break.

Quote:
Day One: Put new rules in place to "break the link between lobbyists and legislation."

Day Two: Enact all the recommendations made by the commission that investigated the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Time remaining until 100 hours: Raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, maybe in one step. Cut the interest rate on student loans in half. Allow the government to negotiate directly with the pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices for Medicare patients.

Broaden the types of stem cell research allowed with federal funds _ "I hope with a veto-proof majority," she added in an Associated Press interview Thursday.

All the days after that: "Pay as you go," meaning no increasing the deficit, whether the issue is middle class tax relief, health care or some other priority.

To do that, she said, Bush-era tax cuts would have to be rolled back for those above "a certain level." She mentioned annual incomes of $250,000 or $300,000 a year and higher, and said tax rates for those individuals might revert to those of the Clinton era. Details will have to be worked out, she emphasized.

"We believe in the marketplace," Pelosi said of Democrats, then drew a contrast with Republicans. "They have only rewarded wealth, not work."

"We must share the benefits of our wealth" beyond the privileged few, she added.

source

guess i am too late to wish you a happy birthday setanta? hope you had a good one.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:07 am
Sorry for making two posts, but I was reading something someone said a few pages back about how it would have been better for the democrats to have lost to have a shot at 08'. I thought about that but then I thought I doubt any democrats who are in office or who were newly elected will do the controversial things which will get them in trouble such as seriously challenging the warrantees spying program or the newly signed torture bill which gives bush the right to interpret the Geneva Convention or peel back some of the provisions in the patriot act; all of which I would wish to change. I don't think those things will ever be repealed unless the Joe/Jo public really is united against them and right now they are not.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:40 am
I wouldn't look for huge changes, folks. Congress - both sides of the aisle - spent the past eight months doing absolutely nothing but election year posturing. After constant talk about flag burning, gay marriage, and immigration reform, they all went home without passing even the Interior Appropriations bill, usually the least controversial piece of legislation they have. Uncontrolled pork is, to me, still the biggest issue we all face, and I see no attempt in the wings to reform it. The only thing I see coming next year is an increase in the minimum wage, and that never accomplishes anything except to accelerate inflation. Foreign policy may well change in the near future, and it certainly should. On the home front, I see us continuing down the road of government dependence that has taken us to where we are.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:34 pm
CowDoc, Congress can't afford to sit on their duffs. If they do, it'll be a "clean sweep" in 2008.

For one, Bush still wants to leave a little bit of legacy before his term is finished.

For another, the democratic congress will work on many issues important to the middle class including minimum wage, universal health care, social security(should), national debt, taxes, and trade.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:36 pm
Lieberman and Sanders have both shown that an independent candidate can, in fact, be elected to national office. May the trend continue!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:12 pm
JBP, Maybe, hopefully, they'll start a trend for the third party.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:32 pm
JPB wrote:
Lieberman and Sanders have both shown that an independent candidate can, in fact, be elected to national office. May the trend continue!!!

BLECHHHHH!!! How could you say this?

Lieberman and Sanders are nothing alike.

Sanders is an independent. He ran against the Republican in a straight campaign on his ideals (although he had the backing of important parts of the Democratic party). Sanders did not accept the primary nomination (even though he won support from the majority of registered Democrats) and ran without the power of incumbancy.

Sanders is an outsider. He does not kowtow to the president and is very strongly against the war, the use of torture etc.

Lieberman was a Democrat who decided to run as an independent since he didn't like the results of his (former) party primary. He wanted to play the game by the rules... until the rules didn't favor him.

Lieberman is all about protecting incumbancy and entrenched power. He is an opportunist and cynically plays to power for his own advantage.

Comparing Bernie Sanders to Lieberman is a horrible insult to a decent, sincere and courageous human being.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:41 pm
Liebermann's election was a result of the complete failure by the Republican party to field a viable candidate. If they had, he would have been gone; instead he sucked their votes right up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies