I'M GLAD I WAS WRONG

hamburger

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:13 am
hi , setanta !
wishes you all the best for the years to come !
(not too much partying - age is beginning to creep up on all of us - sooner or later :wink: - i can tell you all about it Shocked )
the hamburgers

KOENIG KARL HUND UND BLENHEIM SPANIEL
http://www.jadu.de/florafaun/hunde/hunde/Bilder/hund12_gif.jpg

(as close as i could come to cleo and bailey on on pix)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:13 am
I don't think we want impeachment. We want to use our new investigative powers to uncover, but we don't want impeachment.

Bush won the election for us in 2006 and, Lord willing, he will give us 2008 as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:14 am
Ya know, I have to agree with nimh. (For once.) (Um.)

PAR-TAY!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:18 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I don't think we want impeachment. We want to use our new investigative powers to uncover, but we don't want impeachment.

Bush won the election for us in 2006 and, Lord willing, he will give us 2008 as well.

I think once things reach a certain point, there won't be much of an option left.

Impeachment will either come from a greatly unified congress or it won't come at all. I don't see the Dems pushing impeachment as a priority, just uncovering the truth and waiting for something to pop up which is truly unsupportable. If they can time it right and have it come in the summer of '08.. well it's hard to say. Let me just say that the next two years will be very, very interesting.

For those of us who truly believe that the Republican administration is not just mendacious and boneheaded but criminal, it is difficult not to think that there is not justice on the way. We just can't let it get in the way of governing the nation...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
I know that the thought of impeachment is dear to many hearts, but i think it is a bad idea. Impeaching Clinton was resented by the electorate, and the Senate treated his trial as a joke--it was over in no time, and the Democrats don't have the necessary two-thirds to convict. It would bog down the Democrat's agenda, and leave a sour taste in the collective mouth of the electorate. The clown is a lame duck with only 26 months left to serve--an impeachment and Senate trial could hardly be accomplished before he was on his way out the door anyway.

I do think Cyclo is right on about investigations, though. The Republicans forced Hillary Clinton to cough up information on her health care task force, and to turn over her documents. The same thing should be done with Cheney's energy task force, and it can be done, even if they have successfully stone-walled it to date. Coupled with a move to end the corporate welfare to the oil industry, it could be powerful from a publicity point of view, and lend impetus to the move to end subsidies to the energy industry, and be especially entertaining as we watch those who whine about welfare cheaters and welfare queens squirm in the glare of the publicity which could be generated about giving the store away to the oil boys, the Shrub's Texas cronies.

I also think that Abu Graihb and Bagram should be re-opened, and higher level military officers and government officials should at least be embarrassed if not actually prosecuted. The entire detainment and torture issue could really be a mine-field for the administration, because if Justice doesn't cooperate, one could loudly ask what the administration has to hide. The Senate may still be a quesion mark, but the Democrat's margin in the House not only assures that the Democrats take control of all of the committees, but that the Republicans will be powerless to delay or obstruct. One problem the Democrats currently face is that the leadership is more liberal than the Democrat rank and file in the House, which is largely centrist or conservative Democrat. Investigations could serve the Democrats well without making the more conservative members of the party uncomfortable about the party's agenda.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:24 am
Happy Birthday Mr. Setanta,

http://www.ghost-pictures.org/images/Bill-Clinton-Marilyn-Monroe.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:32 am
I agree, Set, with what you wrote.

I think the Dems should invesitgate, and keep investigating, and just not push for impeachment at all; just wait for nuggets to drop which make the bush admin look worse, and worse, and worse.

There's no doubt that the approval numbers for Bush will continue to fall unless he dramatically changes his course in Iraq and elsewhere. When the approval is in the twenties and maybe teens, what then? Defending him will be a fools' game for Republicans.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 01:20 pm
For today, the glorious celebration of the birth of setanta, it is unbecoming to do anything more serious than drinking, eating, honking car horns, tying brassieres to aerials, and breaking wind in the general direction of K Street.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 01:31 pm
Happy Birthday on a political thread?

Well....

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
"Pelosi is widely tipped to become speaker of the house but she is already on the record as saying that no impeachment proceedings against President Bush, whether it be for deliberately lying a nation into war or being complicit in 9/11, will take place." That's a bit absurd. Should an investigation prove Bushie complicity in 911 impeachment would be a slap on the wrist. Pelosi will begin to realize that 911 is bigger than her. "Zogby Poll: Over 70 Million American Adults Support New 9/11 Investigation". http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/may2006/230506Zogby.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 02:45 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I think all Republicans, Democrats, Independents and crackpots should wish you a happy birthday.

Very Happy

You call me a crackpot again, Betheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and you're a dead Deeruahuaha....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SET!!!!!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 02:53 pm
A birthday wish at our advanced years is not necessarily happiness inducing. SO, Ive noted that, although the "throw the bums out " worked at a national level, the local offices below governor (like State legislators, county, and municipal officials) all were soundly "Republicanized " in the non urban centers of Pa. So its obvious that a lot of ticket splitting when on with a sennse of "I must make amends at the local levels) Some of the pluralities in the munis were often huuge i favor of GOPers.

The national route exacted a price at the local. I dont know how it was in Ohio.

Delivery of "the goods" should be taken as an obvious step demanded by the Constitution. Since the majority in the Senate is almost nonexistent and the fractional majority is gonna require Republican help, I think that DEMS can make a play for some good horse trading.

Id like to see the cap on Social Security taxes be totally removed. This would delay any funding problems till at least the next baby boomlet comes of age.

Our newest Rep from Pa, Admiral Sestak (USN ret), is gonna be an important rookie leader since hehas the proven experience and a wide sheet of plans that caught everyones eye.

I heard a joke the other night delivered by a Clinton impersonator

"We see that the GOP has delivered on its promise of a smaller government, It just didnt occur to us that it would come abvout by indictments"
0 Replies

paull

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:19 pm
Quote:
What are your thoughts on what the Democrats must do now?

Act like adults.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:25 pm
paull wrote:
Quote:
What are your thoughts on what the Democrats must do now?

Act like adults.

And not like Republicans. Amen!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:04 pm
Impeachment is, like Setanta says, too political an option. But thorough investigations must be held, justice demands it. These precedents established by the Bushies are too awful to leave unchallenged.

Happy Birthday, Setanta!!!!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
JTT, "But thorough investigations must be held, justice demands it." Certainly. But suppose investigations prove complicity? Suppose the science proves demolition? Then what will justice demand? For sure the 911 Truth Movement is a huge movement these days with many millions of Americans demanding answers. Seems to me Pelosi's statements are outrageous and entirely political. Such a betrayal as complicity in 911 is way bigger than she.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:15 pm
farmerman wrote:

The national route exacted a price at the local. I dont know how it was in Ohio.

It was actually quite fabulous. We picked up a whole bunch of seats at the local level. Strickland's going to have a lot of local oomph to back him up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:23 pm
Hmm, not as great as I thought I guess but still a marked improvement:

Quote:
Ohio House Democrats locked down another seat early this morning, bringing their total gains to seven, their biggest single election pickup in 34 years.

-snip-

Going from a 60-39 minority in the House to 53-46 means Democrats will be more of a force to assist Democratic Gov.-elect Ted Strickland. If nothing else, it will be much tougher for the legislature to override Strickland vetoes.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news-story.php?story=225300
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:24 pm
I would like to see a lot more time devoted to repairing damage for the good of the present and future rather than investigating the past. I'd like to see the democrats focused on fixing the lack of oversight in times of crisis, firewalling, catering to special interests and also preserving the record.

Reinforce the public information act, limit use and power of presidential signing statements and create strict sunshine laws to bring the bonds between special interests, lobbyists and government employees out from the shadows.

Yes, we need to know what happened in order to fix it. But not knowing shouldn't stop the forward movement toward restructuring to prevent it from recurring.

That's why the democrats were given the mid-term majority, to do the needed repairs to our governing mechanisms.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:38 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
I would like to see a lot more time devoted to repairing damage for the good of the present and future rather than investigating the past. I'd like to see the democrats focused on fixing the lack of oversight in times of crisis, firewalling, catering to special interests and also preserving the record.

Reinforce the public information act, limit use and power of presidential signing statements and create strict sunshine laws to bring the bonds between special interests, lobbyists and government employees out from the shadows.

Yes, we need to know what happened in order to fix it. But not knowing shouldn't stop the forward movement toward restructuring to prevent it from recurring.

That's why the democrats were given the mid-term majority, to do the needed repairs to our governing mechanisms.

CAN they do that re signing statements?
0 Replies