Americans United for Separation of Church and State

Baldimo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:27 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
....that said;

imho, school is readin', 'ritin' & 'rithmatic. no fourth "r" for religion. i don't mind a "moment of silent meditation" at the beginning of the day. that's what they had when i was in school; and it seemed to work for everybody.

School USED to be readin, ritin, & rithmatic, AND even the Lords Prayer was recited, I have never heard of anyone that was harmed by that...

perhaps you can imagine what it would be like to have, on a daily basis, someone else's beliefs forced on you.

would you care to have another, one of authority, insist that you recite the liturgy of their religion in place of your own?

would you deny and bury your beliefs/religion/practice every day just to avoid making waves?

I know what it is like to have others beliefs forced on you. How about the gay agenda when it is taught in the schools and children are forced to accept homosexuality.

When it comes to praying before a sports game, I don't see an issue. As long as the coach doesn't force players to play and as long as their non-prayer doesn't affect their playing in the game then who cares.

It seems that the only religion that is allowed to be taught and isn't complained about by the libs is Islam.

The same rules should be applied to all religions in school but that doesn't seem to happen.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:24 pm
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
....that said;

imho, school is readin', 'ritin' & 'rithmatic. no fourth "r" for religion. i don't mind a "moment of silent meditation" at the beginning of the day. that's what they had when i was in school; and it seemed to work for everybody.

School USED to be readin, ritin, & rithmatic, AND even the Lords Prayer was recited, I have never heard of anyone that was harmed by that...

perhaps you can imagine what it would be like to have, on a daily basis, someone else's beliefs forced on you.

would you care to have another, one of authority, insist that you recite the liturgy of their religion in place of your own?

would you deny and bury your beliefs/religion/practice every day just to avoid making waves?

I know what it is like to have others beliefs forced on you. How about the gay agenda when it is taught in the schools and children are forced to accept homosexuality.

what ?!?!?? i had no idea that schools were forcing children to engage in homosexual acts. when did that start ?

i thought we were talking about religion....

When it comes to praying before a sports game, I don't see an issue. As long as the coach doesn't force players to play and as long as their non-prayer doesn't affect their playing in the game then who cares.

their "non-prayer doesn't affect their playing in the game" ?? whaddaya mean ? is your god handing out penalties and injuries to those that don't join in on the pre-game prayer meeting?

It seems that the only religion that is allowed to be taught and isn't complained about by the libs is Islam.

islam is no different. a cursary discussion is fine in context of teaching about the culture of a people or country. in depth should be in an elective class clearly defined as one inspecting religions.

btw, is the forced islamic prayer conducted before or after the forced homosexual activities ?

just wunderin'...

The same rules should be applied to all religions in school but that doesn't seem to happen.

and you wonder why ???

if you insist that one religion(in this case christianity) be given a morning prayer in school, other religions will want the same airtime. america being a liberal democratic republic, they aren't out of line wanting that.

great. now the entire morning is taken up with having children praying instead of learning how to read. that's efficient.

so here's what i'd like to know;

why do kids need to pray in school when they can just as easily do it at home; before classes ??

nobody has ever explained that...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:39 pm
Explain why kids can't or shouldn't pray in school. Again, does anyone know of anybody that's been hurt by praying?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:41 pm
DontTreadOnMe:

Quote:
what ?!?!?? i had no idea that schools were forcing children to engage in homosexual acts. when did that start ?

No they are forcing them to learn about the lifestyle as well as forcing tolerence regardless of what the parents are being taught.

Quote:
their "non-prayer doesn't affect their playing in the game" ?? whaddaya mean ? is your god handing out penalties and injuries to those that don't join in on the pre-game prayer meeting?

I was refering to the coach not letting them play if they don't play.

Quote:
islam is no different. a cursary discussion is fine in context of teaching about the culture of a people or country. in depth should be in an elective class clearly defined as one inspecting religions.

btw, is the forced islamic prayer conducted before or after the forced homosexual activities ?

just wunderin'...

If it is no different them how come there is a mandatory 3 week class on Islam in a CA school district for 7th graders and the ACLU is no where to be found. In fact the same 9th appeals court that ruled "In God We Trust" as unConstitutional ruled that the class was fine. As I said the libs don't seem to be doing anything about this.

Quote:
if you insist that one religion(in this case christianity) be given a morning prayer in school, other religions will want the same airtime. america being a liberal democratic republic, they aren't out of line wanting that.

Don't think I ever said that. I didn't know the US was a liberal republic.

Quote:
great. now the entire morning is taken up with having children praying instead of learning how to read. that's efficient.

If that were all they were learning then I wouldn't have an issue. I don't know about your children, but both of my children get a grade for Diversity in school. So they are teaching things other then the big R's.

Quote:

why do kids need to pray in school when they can just as easily do it at home; before classes ??

Once again I'm not advocating prayer in class in fact I would perfer if there was any religion in school, but there seems to be a preference for teaching religions other then Christianity in the public school system. Like I said, there is a 3 week forced study program on Islam but no other religions get the same treatment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:47 pm
Hurt by praying? Well, if we can use the evidence from past and current history, I'm sure all those people of religion prayed, then went on and killed who they thought were enemies. Their praying made them think some omnipotent imagined god was on "their" side, then strapped on some bombs on their bodies and killed many innocent people with their "suicide." It's the consequences that results from praying that is dangerious whether it's the christian god or allah. We don't know what they are planning to do by talking to their "god."

Show us this analysis is wrong by evidence. Show us praying has been positive in any society/culture.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hurt by praying? Well, if we can use the evidence from past and current history, I'm sure all those people of religion prayed, then went on and killed who they thought were enemies. Their praying made them think some omnipotent imagined god was on "their" side, then strapped on some bombs on their bodies and killed many innocent people with their "suicide." It's the consequences that results from praying that is dangerious whether it's the christian god or allah. We don't know what they are planning to do by talking to their "god."

Show us this analysis is wrong by evidence. Show us praying has been positive in any society/culture.

You have to look at the current state of affairs in order to answer that question. Looking at the past isn't the way to do it. If you look at the past no one will pass your test.

Christanity has been a peaceful religion for a long time now. The same can't be said about Islam. Sure in its past it has had its times of peace and violence but in the last 30 years or so it hasn't been very peaceful.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:05 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

What part of "religion has never hurt anyone, Men USING religion has hurt people" do you not understand?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:06 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Christanity has been a peaceful religion for a long time now. The same can't be said about Islam. Sure in its past it has had its times of peace and violence but in the last 30 years or so it hasn't been very peaceful.

It's been less than thirty years since Catholics and Protestants in Ireland have killed one another. Orthodox Serbs have gleefully killed Catholic Slovenes and Croats, and nominally Muslim Bosnians and Kosovars within the last ten years. Orthodox Russians continue to kill Muslim Ingush and Chechen tribesmen right up to the present.

Your view is very selective, and convenient to an ill-considered argument.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:07 pm
Baldimo, That you have a mindset that all Islamists are terrorists misses the mark. Your bias is showing big time, and shows your inability to really understand Islam or the over one billion Muslims of the world.

You also seem to ignore the "christian" nations that have started wars and killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

I would suggest you study both religions with an open eye; start with a blank page, because your bias will only increase if you don't.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

It's been less than thirty years since Catholics and Protestants in Ireland have killed one another. Orthodox Serbs have gleefully killed Catholic Slovenes and Croats, and nominally Muslim Bosnians and Kosovars within the last ten years. Orthodox Russians continue to kill Muslim Ingush and Chechen tribesmen right up to the present.

Your view is very selective, and convenient to an ill-considered argument.

I argue from an American point of view. When was the last large Christian violence in the US? Christians taking to the streets and killing people because of religion.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:13 pm
There are good people in all different religions, good people that are athiests as well, there are also bad in all of those peoples. Good Muslims are speaking out against the terrorists that are USING THAT RELIGION to kill & maime, there are good Christians, those good ones are speaking against THE MEN/WOMEN THAT BLOW UP ABORTIONI MILLS & KILL, rape little boys.
When will people understand that just because someone claims to be a Christian or a Muslim that that doesn't make it so?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:17 pm
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe:

Quote:

No they are forcing them to learn about the lifestyle as well as forcing tolerence regardless of what the parents are being taught.

how are they doing that ? and what do you mean "forcing tolerance" ?

Quote:

I was refering to the coach not letting them play if they don't play.

really no way to tell what is in a coach's mind when he does or does not field a player is there?

Quote:

just wunderin'...

If it is no different them how come there is a mandatory 3 week class on Islam in a CA school district for 7th graders and the ACLU is no where to be found. In fact the same 9th appeals court that ruled "In God We Trust" as unConstitutional ruled that the class was fine. As I said the libs don't seem to be doing anything about this.

damn dude... that's from 2002. JANUARY of 2002. 2+ months after the wtc. is it not possible that perhaps the idea was to lessen the fear of young kids about ALL muslims being terrorists ? maybe ?

i do agree that the name and clothing thing is a little out there.

also, the complaints seem to have been registered mostly by folks like jay sekulow and the catholic league etc... so go figure. noone likes competition in the mind control game....

Quote:

Don't think I ever said that. I didn't know the US was a liberal republic.

i said a "liberal democratic republic". referrence bush's repeated calls for the establishment of a "liberal democracy" in iraq.

Quote:

If that were all they were learning then I wouldn't have an issue. I don't know about your children, but both of my children get a grade for Diversity in school. So they are teaching things other then the big R's.

i'm not sure that "diversity" training is all that much different than "civics" or "good citizenship" back in the day. it's still essentially the idea of "respecting others" isn't it ?

Quote:

Once again I'm not advocating prayer in class in fact I would perfer if there was any religion in school, but there seems to be a preference for teaching religions other then Christianity in the public school system. Like I said, there is a 3 week forced study program on Islam but no other religions get the same treatment.

when i was in the 7th grade (we had what was called a "core" class which took up about 3 hours of the day for all but math, art and health), our big assigned report for the year was on India. included in the report was the necessary research on the hindu religion (which is the basis of the caste social system ). it would be lopsided to study the middle east without also studying islam.

the difference to me is, the united states, along with most western countries has a much greater degree of religious freedom and diversity of religions than the middle eastern. and we should be proud of that.

and in my opinion, we did used to be more proud of it. it's gotten mucked up by people who's faith is so weak and soul so hollow that they absolutely cannot contenence anything that's different over the last 20 years. much like the bin ladens of the world.

i'm not necessarily counting you a one of them, btw.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:18 pm
Yeah, Baldimo, i know that you are only willing to see the world in terms of the United States, and are probably too ill-informed to make reasonable statements about anything which happens outside of the United States--expecially in view of how little you apparently know even about the United States.

When was the last time that Muslims in the United States have taken to the streets to kill people because of religion? The 19 bombers of September 11th were Saudi nationals who were in the country illegally. You fail to make your case, as you always do, because you construct it so ineptly. You're trying to excuse Christianity for the actions of extremists, but you're trying to condemn Islam for the actions of extremists.

And, as usual, you neither express yourself well, nor make a cogent argument--you just throw out conservative talking points in an ill-considered manner.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:26 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Explain why kids can't or shouldn't pray in school. Again, does anyone know of anybody that's been hurt by praying?

hah ! asked you first! neener neener ! Laughing 'sides, you never answered any of my questions...

nevertheless, it was hurtful to me to be forced to recite "the lord's prayer" when i didn't believe in it. there's one "who" for you.

doncha get it ? not everybody believes as you do...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
The 19 bombers of September 11th were Saudi nationals who were in the country illegally.

you mean they weren't iraqi ??? but, but grampa dick said....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:30 pm
Should Catholic kids be forced recite the Protestant version of "the lord's prayer," or should Prods be forced to recite the Catholic version? Should Jews and Muslims be forced to recite putatively christian prayers (hell, among the rightwingnuts of American Protestants, there are millions who will deny that Catholics, Unitarians, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons are christian)?

When that jackass set up the ten commandments in the building which housed the Alabama Supreme Court, he was so damned clueless that he didn't know there were different versions of that, too. And that's just the first objection to prayer and religious displays in school--particularism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The 19 bombers of September 11th were Saudi nationals who were in the country illegally.

I'm sorry, Boss . . . i should never contradict Grandpa Dick . . .
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I'm sorry, Boss . . . i should never contradict Grandpa Dick . . .

Laughing
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
Not all of the suicide/murdereous 911 terrorists were here illegally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:08 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Not all of the suicide/murdereous 911 terrorists were here illegally.

Yes, or course, we all know that 1 million per month came across the mexican border.
0 Replies