Americans United for Separation of Church and State

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 03:12 pm
For those who are concerned about the impact that religious groups are having on the foundations of our constitutional democracy, there is a group that addresses these issues. It is called, "Americans United for the Separation of Church and State".

Interestingly enough, the head of this organization is a minister, who truly understands the importance of keeping politics and religion separate. You can read about it at:

http://www.au.org/

Quote:
The Rev. Barry W. Lynn has served since 1992 as executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a Washington, D.C.-based organization dedicated to the preservation of the Constitution's religious liberty provisions. In addition to his work as a long-time activist and lawyer in the civil liberties field, Lynn is an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, offering him a unique perspective on church-state issues.

An arm of this organization is Project Fair Play. This group is a watchdog group that sees to it that tax exempt religious organizations do not go beyond their legal limits in terms of public issues and candidates.

http://www.projectfairplay.org/

Quote:
The Internal Revenue Code bars all non-profit groups that hold 501 (c)(3) tax status from endorsing or opposing candidates for public office or intervening in partisan elections. This regulation covers all houses or worship in America.

Religious leaders may address political and social issues from the pulpit. They may not use church resources to endorse or oppose candidates. Violations of the law can result in fines, assessment of back taxes and even revocation of tax-exempt status. Aside from the illegality of the practice, pulpit politicking raises other concerns. Simply put, it is not the job of religious leaders to tell people which candidates to vote for or not vote for.

I think that it is important for Americans who are concerned about the encroaching of religion into the realm of politics, to become more knowledgable about this group.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,087 • Replies: 179
No top replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 01:11 pm
been supporting americans united for a few years now. a pretty fair and effective group.

a recent victory was getting an attempt by the administration to institute and fund "christianity only" faith based correction and rehabilitation ( or prisons as they say) facilities knocked down.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 09:15 pm
It is in the church's best interest to keep the sacred separate from the secular.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
AU is an excellent organization. However, it has never had an adversary like the Bush administration, which is dedicated to tearing down the wall separating church and state. The administration knows, but does not cares, that a large percentage of people coming to this country did so because of state religions and religious persecution. Our founding fathers recognized this and worded the constitution to create the wall.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:41 pm
Bush is a loose cannon.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:09 pm
Have you been following the David Kuo controversy. He was number two in the White House's faith-based initiative, and has written a book about how this was used primarily for political purposes. He added that there was no interest in solving the problem of poverty.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:54 pm
Advocate wrote:
Have you been following the David Kuo controversy. He was number two in the White House's faith-based initiative, and has written a book about how this was used primarily for political purposes. He added that there was no interest in solving the problem of poverty.

i've watched several interviews with him. he seems to confirm what some of us have thought for a long time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:42 am
No, I have not kept up with David Kuo, but I think that I will check out his book.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:51 am
This organization is taking their "crusade" just a little too far.

But last month, the school district, which is liable for Borden's legal costs -- estimated to be as much as $100,000 -- has decided to appeal the decision, this time with its own pro bono representation from the Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.

"The coach is engaged in the promotion of religion, and that's not something that's appropriate in his role as a coach, if he does it quietly or not so quietly," said Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of the organization. "We think the school board was right to tell him after his long history of violating the constitution this was one more way in which he was attempting to participate in organized religious activities as an employee of the school."Continued...

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/football/articles/2006/11/07/an_issue_of_fair_pray/?page=2

The coach is not forcing anyone to engage in prayer. There is nothing wrong with a moment of contemplation prior to an athletic event.

I do support seperateion of church and state and I am against any interaction by our elected officials with anyone from any "religious" organization (exception of a personal nature).

However, this situation is taking it too far.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:57 am
Although the coach may not be "forcing" anyone to pray, if you wished to stay in his favor would you ignore him when he said "Let us pray"?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
Been in the locker room with a coach who expected that you pray together as a team.
Very uncomfortable for those whishing to not participate.

What's Tico's tag line....?
Religion is like good underwear. It supports you, it comforts you, it's worn on the inside, and it's bad manners to show it off.

Sounds like a nice rule.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:30 am
flyboy804 wrote:
Although the coach may not be "forcing" anyone to pray, if you wished to stay in his favor would you ignore him when he said "Let us pray"?

Quote from the Coach.

"Why would a player complain? We pray that everybody on both teams is safe," Borden said. "It's a tradition for 23 years and it started before I got here."

That "attitude" framed in your question is way beyond the concept of Seperation.

Getting together as a group for a moment of contemplation/prayer is personal. If you want to get on a knee and think of hitting your opponent, feel free. Or pray, feel free.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:23 am
I donated to AU about 6 months ago for the first time. I look forward to supporting their cause (and my own) in the future.

The are a great group, fighting for a great cause.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:11 pm
It is not too much to ask that religion be kept out of governmental functions. Moreover, if religion is allowed in them, it is like the camel sticking its nose under the tent. Before long, the camel will take over the tent and the people will be outside.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:59 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
been supporting americans united for a few years now.

Me too.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:26 am
The ability to share ones religion should not be infringed upon. It sounds like they are telling him when he can and when he can't share his religion. Would you feel the same way about a gay teacher telling his students about his gayness? This happened in my kid's school where a gay teacher wanted to bring a pic of his lover to show the kids while they were in class. Would you have supported this?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:46 am
Baldimo wrote:
This happened in my kid's school where a gay teacher wanted to bring a pic of his lover to show the kids while they were in class. Would you have supported this?

I think that was absolutely inappropriate. It would have been just as inappropriate if a heterosexual teacher brought a picture of his/her boy/girlfriend, and showed it to the class.

I don't know what is going on now, but when I went to school, the teachers related to students on a professional level, and did not share their personal life with the children!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:55 am
Baldimo wrote:
The ability to share ones religion should not be infringed upon. It sounds like they are telling him when he can and when he can't share his religion.

In the case of the coach, it is an entirely different situation. A public school employee, IMO, has no business insinuating religion into sports. Again, as in my earlier post, I think that teachers (and coaches) need to keep their private life (which includes religious observance) private. I think that asking the students to pray was totally unprofessional.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:58 am
talk72000 wrote:
Bush is a loose cannon.

Yes indeed however after this last election they have taken most of his cannon balls away.
As to religion in government they should be as oil and water, never mixing.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:10 am
talk72000 wrote:
It is in the church's best interest to keep the sacred separate from the secular.

A church is for everyone. Myabe Barry Lynns church doesn't believe that everyone should be welcomed, but that is not the teaching of Jesus Christ.
The first amendment guarantees us "freedom OF religion", not freedom FROM religion.
0 Replies