John Kerry - what a dork

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 08:20 pm
SierraSong wrote:
The photo Timber posted on page 10 was shown on ABC Nightly News tonight (wherein they validated its authenticity).

Heh. If ABC is showing the troops mocking Kerry, then the WSJ's earlier congratulations to Hillary (on yet another contender biting the dust) is dead on.

Kerry is toast.

So moron Bush shoots himself in the foot and the party yet again. No Kerry in 08, that's a win for the Dems.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 08:35 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
No Kerry in 08, that's a win for the Dems.

Certainly no loss for the Dems.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 08:39 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
No Kerry in 08, that's a win for the Dems.

Certainly no loss for the Dems.

vote early
vote often
vote Kucinich.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 08:45 pm
Quote:

Where did Boehner assign blame for the Iraqi insurgency to anyone but the enemy, "al Queda" and "the terrorists", to use Boehners exact words?

Timber, you may want to have a word or two with your fellow republicans about using someone's 'exact words.'

Kerry's exact wording bears no relation to the attacks made against him, as you well know. He didn't say 'soldiers are stupid,' yet that is the charge that has been levied against him by, yeah, pretty much all of you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 08:45 pm
All the following quotes from Bush, and some people think Kerry screwed up! Conservatives even have the gumption to start a controversy on one Kerry blooper; they're desperate.

"I think there were some differences, there's no question, and will still be. We're talking about a major, major situation here that requires constant work. But it was well worth it and there's much more to it than just this- I mean just these sixteen accomplishments or whatever: I mean, we've got a major rapport- relationship of economics, major in the security, and all of that, we should not lose sight of."
--1/10/92 to reporters, on his trip to Japan

"Please don't look at the part of the glass that is only half full."
--11/6/91

"No you're not going to see me stay put... I am not going to forsake my responsibilities. You may not see me put as much- I mean, un-put as much"
--11/8/91

"You cannot be president of the United States of you don't have faith. Remember Lincoln, going to his knees in times of trial and the Civil War and all that stuff. You can't be. And we are blessed. So don't feel sorry for- don't cry for me, Argentina."
--1/15/92

"I think I've got to do better in making clear what the message is, and I think I can do better. But I think there's so much noise out there that I've got to figure out how to make it clearer that we are for the things that I have advocated that would help."
-2/18/91

"Your dedication and tireless work with the hostage thing, with Central America, really give me cause for great pride in you and thanks. Get some turkey, George Bush."
-- Vice President George Bush in a written expression of gratitude to Oliver North, circa Thanksgiving 1985. Read by North during his interview with Ted Koppel on "Nightline," 10/22/91

"I don't want to just sit here blaming Congress. I mean, we're all in this together." --President Bush, 11/20/91 to news anchor Bill Stuart of KCNC-TV, Denver.
"I think the Congress should be blamed." --several minutes later, to Warner Saunders of WMAQ-TV, Chicago.

"If a frog had wings, he wouldn't hit his tail on the ground. 'If.' Too hypothetical."

"And let me say in conclusion, thanks for the kids. I learned an awful lot about bathtub toys-- about how to work the telephone. One guy knows- several of them know their own phone numbers- preparation to go to the dentist. A lot of things I'd forgotten. So it's been a good day."
- January 21, at aHead Start center in Catonsville, Maryland

"The guy over there at Pease - a woman actually - she said something about a country-western song about the train, a light at the end of the tunnel... I only hope it's not a train coming the other way. Well, I said to her, well, I'm a country music fan. I love it, always have. Doesn't fit the mold of some of the columnists, I might add, but nevertheless - of what they think I ought to fit in, but I love it. You should have been with me at the c.m.a. awards at Nashville. But nevertheless, I said to them there's another one that the Nitty Ditty Nitty Gritty Great Bird - and it says if you want to see a rainbow you've got to stand a little rain. We've had a little rain. New Hampshire has had too much rain."

"And so I do understand New Hampshire because I have this wonderfully warm feeling that New Hampshire feels exactly the way we do on these questions of family values and faith. Somebody said to me, we prayed for you over there. That was not just because I threw up on the Prime Minister of Japan, either. Where was he when I needed him? I said, let me tell you something. And I say this - I don't know whether any ministers from the episcopal church are here - I hope so. But I said to him this: You're on to something here. You cannot be President of the United States if you don't have faith. It's been great. I'll go back to Washington all fired up for tomorrow and tackle the President or the Prime Minister of this or the Governor of that coming in. But I'll have this heartbeat..."

"You're burning up time. The meter is running through the sand on you and I am now fillibustering."

"I see this glass not half-empty, but half-full and more."

"Ours is a great state, and we don't like limits of any kind. Ricky Clunn is one of the great bass fishermen. He's a Texas young guy, and he's a very competitive fisherman, and he talked about learning to fish wading in the creeks behind his dad. He in his underwear went wading in the creeks behind his father, and he said--as a fisherman he said it's great to grow up in a country with no limits..."

"Somebody--somebody asked me, what's it take to win? I said to them, I can't remember, what does it take to win the Super Bowl? Or maybe Steinbrenner,my friend George, will tell us what it takes for the Yanks to win--one run.
But I went over to the Strawberry Festival this morning, and ate a piece of shortcake over there--able to enjoy it right away, and once I completed it, it didn't have to be approved by Congress--I just went ahead and ate it--
and that leads me into what I want to talk to you about today..."
-March 4, at a fund-raising lunch in Tampa, Florida

"I want to make sure everybody who has a job wants a job"
George Bush, during his first Presidential campaign

"Now, like, I'm President. It would be pretty hard for some drug guy to come into the White House and start offering it up, you know? ... I bet if they did, I hope I would say, 'Hey, get lost. We don't want any of that.'"
George Bush, talking about drug abuse to a group of students

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex ... uh... setbacks."

Walter Mondale: George Bush doesn't have the manhood to apologize.
Bush: Well, on the manhood thing, I'll put mine up against his any time.

"I hope I stand for anti-bigotry, anti-Semitism, anti-racism. This is what drives me."

"The caribou love it. They rub against it and they have babies. There are more caribou in Alaska than you can shake a stick at."
George Bush, on the Alaska pipeline

You gotta love it when their elected president is a moron compared to Kerry, and they make a mountain out of a moehill when Kerry garbles one.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:03 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
He did what "they" wanted?

Not, he did what he should have?

It sounds like you don't think he should have apologized.

<shrugs> He effed up a line in typical Kerry fashion. He didnt actually say anything bad about soldiers, he didnt intend to say anything bad about soldiers, but he bumbled his line up in such a way that it could be taken that way. So he explained afterward that that wasnt what he meant.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned that should have been the end of the story.

But yeah, instead we got the disingenious shitstorm conservative talking heads kicked up and riled the troops up with, about how Kerry didnt just misspoke, no what actually happened was that he revealed how he thinks soldiers are stupid. Right. In the face of that, he had to do this full apology - but that is all already fully in the realm of stupid politicking.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:06 pm
I'm telling you, Nimh - at this point, they are so scared that they will jump at anything they possibly can.

Scared, but not much more scared than the Dems are that they will lose this thing after all the buildup and hype.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:10 pm
Also, I'm watching the Harris-Nelson FL-Sen debate on tv right now, and man, it's debatable who is a bigger idiot - Harris or Liddy Dole for backing her

You Republicans must be hating Liddy Dole these days....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:11 pm
This song and dance by these disingenuous cons is really too much. Who actually supports the troops? More glib talking points that have conned the gullible diehards.

The saddest part is that there are many who aren't simply gullible. There are those who know these things to be outright lies and they still offer their unflinching support. What kind of human being is that?

Thinking conservatives haven't abandoned their ideals, they've simply abandoned the sleazeballs running this circus.

Read on.

Quote:

Vets Group Proves GOP Does Not Support Troops

Bob Geiger

Paul Rieckhoff, Executive Director and founder of Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA), the country's first and largest Iraq Veterans group, announced on Friday that IAVA has made available a web site giving the results of their analysis of who in Congress truly backs up their words on supporting the troops.

"Sure, politicians say they support the troops. But whose votes back up their rhetoric, and who's just wearing an American flag lapel pin?" asked Rieckhoff in a Huffington Post column last week. "Now there's an easy way to know for sure. The nonprofit, nonpartisan Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America's Action Fund has tallied up every Congressional vote cast on troops' and veterans' issues for the last five years. We've crunched the numbers, and given every legislator a letter grade - the IAVA Congressional Rating."

IAVA assigned an 'A' through 'F' grade using the scale at left showing the percentage of time each Senator has indeed supported troops and Veterans. As someone who has watched Senate Republicans vote time and time again against legislation that would benefit military families, the results did not shock me in the slightest.

No Senator in either party was given an A grade by IAVA. Thirteen Senators received a rating of A- and all of those were Democrats. A total of 23 Senators were given a B+ rating and 22 of those were Democrats as well. The other was Independent James Jeffords of Vermont, who caucuses with the Democrats.

Cutting to the chase -- and, perhaps more than anything I've seen in recent years, truly defining the difference between the two parties -- is that the worst grade received by a Senate Democrat was higher than the best grade granted a Republican. GOP-lite Ben Nelson (D-NE) received the lowest grade of any Democrat with a B- while Lincoln Chafee (R-RI), Olympia Snowe (R-ME) and Arlen Specter (R-PA) managed a C grade from IAVA.

And, when I averaged the scores of both the Democratic and Republican caucuses by assigning the numeric midpoint of the letter grade received by each Senator, which party truly supports the troops was made remarkably clear: The 44 Democrats and Jeffords had an average military-support grade of B+, while the 55 Republicans, who beat their chests with disgusting regularity about how strong they are on military issues, averaged a pathetic D.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-geiger/vets-group-proves-gop-doe_b_32292.html

Kerry received a B rating, while Edward Kennedy got a B+ for his support of the troops. Remember, the highest rating ANY Republican got was a C and the average for all 55 Republican senators was D. Gives pause to thinking people, wouldn't you say?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:51 pm
JTT, There's been enough media reports about the Bush administration cutting/reducing veteran benefits. They seem to have some extraordinary ability to ignore all those reports while agreeing with this administration's rhetoric about "supporting our troops" and "patriotism." Over and beyond all that, none in the Bush administration ever served in the US armed services except Colin Powell, and we all know what happened to his government career.

Yeah, makes you wonder.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:53 pm
We must not forget what happened during the election of 2004 when the "swift boat veterans for truth" destroyed Kerry with their lies.

Yeah, makes you wonder.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:57 pm
Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record
Ad features vets who claim Kerry "lied" to get Vietnam medals. But other witnesses disagree -- and so do Navy records.

August 6, 2004
Modified:August 22, 2004
Summary

A group funded by the biggest Republican campaign donor in Texas began running an attack ad Aug. 5 in which former Swift Boat veterans claim Kerry lied to get one of his two decorations for bravery and two of his three purple hearts.
But the veterans who accuse Kerry are contradicted by Kerry's former crewmen, and by Navy records.

One of the accusers says he was on another boat "a few yards" away during the incident which won Kerry the Bronze Star, but the former Army lieutenant whom Kerry plucked from the water that day backs Kerry's account. In an Aug. 10 opinion piece in the conservative Wall Street Journal , Rassmann (a Republican himself) wrote that the ad was "launched by people without decency" who are "lying" and "should hang their heads in shame."

And on Aug. 19, Navy records came to light also contradicting the accusers. One of the veterans who says Kerry wasn't under fire was himself awarded a Bronze Star for aiding others "in the face of enemy fire" during the same incident.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:52 am
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,226820,00.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:37 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
We must not forget what happened during the election of 2004 when the "swift boat veterans for truth" destroyed Kerry with their lies.

Were you there (Vietnam)? You might want to tuck in your bias, your crack of uncertainty is hanging out.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:07 am
It is one thing to apologize. It's another thing to really mean it.

I can not believe that Kerry was sincere. His past comments mirror his statements today.

"By JOHN SOLOMON

(AP) John Kerry, Democratic congressional campaigner in the Fifth District, speaks at a news conference...
Full Image

Google sponsored links
Bush Or Clinton - Who Do You Like Better? Vote Now To See Results!
www.popularq.com

Iraq War - The Truth - What The Bush Administration Won't Tell You About The War in Iraq.
www.GeorgeSoros.com

WASHINGTON (AP) - During a Vietnam-era run for Congress three decades ago, John Kerry said he opposed a volunteer Army because it would be dominated by the underprivileged, be less accountable and be more prone to "the perpetuation of war crimes."

Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran who turned against the war, made the observations in answers to a 1972 candidate questionnaire from a Massachusetts peace group.

After Kerry caused a firestorm this week with what he termed a botched campaign joke that Republicans said insulted current soldiers, The Associated Press was alerted to the historical comments by a former law enforcement official who monitored 1970s anti-war activities

Kerry apologized Wednesday for the 2006 campaign trail gaffe that some took as suggesting U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq were undereducated. He contended the remark was aimed at Bush, not the soldiers.

In 1972, as he ran for the House, he was less apologetic in his comments about the merits of a volunteer army. He declared in the questionnaire that he opposed the draft but considered a volunteer army "a greater anathema."

"I am convinced a volunteer army would be an army of the poor and the black and the brown," Kerry wrote. "We must not repeat the travesty of the inequities present during Vietnam. I also fear having a professional army that views the perpetuation of war crimes as simply 'doing its job.'

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061102/D8L4QH580.html
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:21 am
This much attention shouldn't been given to a joke gone awry, yet is typical that it has.

Kerry apologized very prettily for any misunderstandings or offense to the troops. This should satisfy any more criticism about it. I think any more criticism will just end up making the critics look churlish and petty.

Anyone heard any updates about the missing soldier in these last few days?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:25 am
cjhsa wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Were you there (Vietnam)? You might want to tuck in your bias, your crack of uncertainty is hanging out.

There are a number of posters on a2k who were in Vietnam (southeast indochina) and they have differing views among themselves, however they do have respect for the differences.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:26 am
Yeah. Time to get back to discussing Foley and high taxes.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:26 am
woiyo, the point is that in this instance he was not referring to the troops but the president as any honest reading of his statments bares out. His apology was about any misunderstanding his botched joke caused.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
revel wrote:
This much attention shouldn't been given to a joke gone awry, yet is typical that it has.

Kerry apologized very prettily for any misunderstandings or offense to the troops. This should satisfy any more criticism about it. I think any more criticism will just end up making the critics look churlish and petty.

Anyone heard any updates about the missing soldier in these last few days?

What exactly was the joke?
0 Replies