What is a Nazarene?

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:47 pm
Now that things have settled down somewhat, i have a Nazarene story for you. The first Nazarene i encountered was an Army nurse whom i met in 1970. Me and my buddy F had been out partyin' all night, after three continuous days on duty in the field, no change of clothes, no shower, and whoopin' it up for hours after we got back to our hospital--then we passed out. In the morning', F shook me awake and told me he needed an assistant driver. I told him to go away, i hadn't had a shower, i hadn't eaten, etc.--he said no dice, the only other driver available was a dick and he wanted company he could stand because we had to drive to the air base and pick up a nurse. So, i groaned out of bed, scraped my face with a razor (dry), put on a clean fatigue shirt, and off we went.

Well, we get to the air base, and the plane ain't there yet. So, having had only a few hours sleep the night before, we go to the bowlin' alley and start suckin' down coffee--for three hours. Finally, the plane comes in, and, as officers don't have to go through the replacement depot, we can pick up our bird right away. Lt. G. is a Holy Terror, literally--we later found out she is a Nazarene, and that a good deal of her unwillingness to put up with what she calls "nonsense" on our part stems from a conviction that we are bound straight for Hell, and she only puts up with us from a desire to cooperate with the army which has paid for her education.

Leaving the air base, we pull over because both of us have to pee--and she just has a fit. She gives us a direct order to get back in the jeep. F ignores her, and i point out that i'm not gonna pee on my boots, just to please her. She is furious. For the next fifteen minutes, she excoriates us with a fine vigor, telling us in detail what we will suffer when we get back to the hospital. Finally, she goes silent. We're in this ville, and we have to pull off to the side to let some big army trucks go by. This old woman, had to have been in her eighties, comes up, smiling and bobbing her head, and saying in the local patois that Lt. G is so, so pretty. The Lieutenant wants to know what she's saying, so F is translating, and the old lady reaches out and pinches the Lieutenant's cheek--gives it a good twist. The Lieutenant is smiling and trying to be cordial, but she is clearly uncomfortable. Then the old lady goes over to the gutter, lifts her skirts, and takes a big dump, right there, in front of God and everybody, smiling and nodding the whole time--but most specifically in front of Lt. G. Me and F, we don't think too much about it, you see that sort of thing all the time in the little country villes--but the Lieutenant goes all rigid, turns her head, and stares straight forward. She does not move a muscle, does not utter a sound for the rest of the trip to the hospital. We stop at the Nurse's BOQ and let her out, carry in her baggage, smile, nod, tell her how great it is that she's joined us--not a peep out of her.

According to the other nurses, Lt. G always keeps to herself, and seems to spend a lot of time prayin' and readin' her bible. Me and F, we don't hear anything more about it, and it seems she never needed a jeep after that when F was on the duty roster.

And that's when i first heard of the Nazarenes.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 07:35 pm
Thank you Setanta for that story.

It shows that no matter what religion one professes, lives according to, or gives an appearance to adhering to, there will always be the extremes from laxi-daizies to strick self-righteous frigid pains in the rear.

I did some searching by way of the links offered way back on the first pages of this topic and found some interesting things, but nothing solid and concrete by way of doctrine. They vary from Methodist to strick Babtist type beliefs. One of the girls at work is married and her and her family are strick vegetarians. Both of the girls are so quiet and polite....it is refreshing to work with them compared to the others at work. Smile

No matter how I believe or live according to those beliefs I try not to judge others according to my personal choices in life, but I do find it interesting to learn from others about their beliefs......and their customs in their country and region.

thanks again for that story even though it did not quite describe the two girls where I work.

Herema
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 07:59 pm
echi wrote:
http://img.zoints.com/public/albums/1/0/0/3/0/4/1/5/setanta_tmb.jpg

Add a pair of glasses and it's a perfect likeness (of man and girlDog) - an absolute keeper. Thanks echi!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
Thanks, Bear, i was sweatin' that one . . . when the King gets pissed, even if he is a puppet . . . ya want yer back covered . . .

even by an illiterate Bear that can't spell cantankerous without consulting the old miriam-webster Laughing
0 Replies