What is a Nazarene?

Herema

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 07:49 pm
Recently, the company I work for hired two girls who are Nazarenes. They do not just attend a church called The Nazarene Church, they live their religion.

I was asked by a co-worker (because my own religious beliefs are also strictly observed...guess they expected me to understand what these two girls believed) about what a Nazarene believes. I have searched Dogpile and Google and found very little statements of doctrinal beliefs to clear up the questions.

Observations of the two: they do not wear pants or make-up, they wear scarfs or bandanas on their head. They appear to have long hair, but keep it bound under the scarfs. They are very meek people with no apparent ire towards anyone. I live near Amish country and the Mennonites and am accustomed to seeing people of this type everywhere, but rarely searched into what they believe.

Can anyone contribute to this? I would appreciate it greatly.

thankyou
Herema
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,440 • Replies: 163
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:10 pm
Nazarene
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:51 pm
They're essentially fundamentalist arminian soteriologists, closely after the fashion of John Wesley; a pentacostal/evangelical offshoot of the Methodists, they grew out of the Holiness Movement.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 06:04 am
thank you timberland, I appreciate your help and I have found the readings of those links interesting. If I find more information, I will include it here as well.

me agapi kai filia
Herema
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:07 am
I have never heard of a church of nazarene but maybe they got their views from the nazarites of the bible....Sampson and John the baptist were both Nazarites (having taken a certain vow) they couldnt cut their hair, drink alcohol or touch dead animals....im sure there was more to the vow but i can't remember........
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:04 am
kate, if you were to bother to chase the links as provided above by Neo and myself, its just possible you might find yourself somewhat illuminated in the matter of the question here at discussion.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:14 am
timberlandko my only intent was to tell hermana about the original nazarites and wonder about a possible link with the church of today. and i did try to get on the links but i cant.....but please continue with the snide remarks ... i have always wondered if those that hide behind rudeness and snotty attitudes are just trying to over compensate for something they may be lacking........ :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:19 am
Well, Kate, if anyone can advise you on how to coax your computer onto uncooperative links, it would be timber. I'm sure he would help.

Meantimes, if you can Google, try Googling 'Nazarene'.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:20 am
neo ty for the advice but honestly i wouldnt ask for help from him bc he can be very rude and condescending.......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:23 am
Interpret what you will as you will, kate, and do as you may and may see fit with the assets and resources avalable to you. Not sure why you might have had difficulty with the links; they're live links to active, well-trafficked websites.

Back to the discussion at hand, by way of referrencing the current "Nazarite" digression -

See: Nazarite

and of tangential interest: The Nazarite Site, the web presence of a contemporary Christian splinter sect expropriating the name "Nazarite".
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:23 am
Funny; we fight together like dogs and still manage to remain friends.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:29 am
That's reason and rational discourse for ya, Neo; not everone swings that way.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:30 am
i googled and found their church website with all the info on them......
its (www.nazarene.org)........the only thing im curious about as with my previous comment....is if they get their name and some of their fundamentalist beliefs from the nazarites in the bible......? i couldnt find anything on that on their homepage......
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:38 am
Quote:
That's reason and rational discourse for ya, Neo; not everone swings that way.

where is the reason and ration in being rude to others when discussing any topic???

and my only point with the first post i made was if there was a possible link with their name and some of their beliefs taken from the nazarites in the bible....so i dont see why you needed to be rude?...and yes those sites are well trafficked ( i was able to get back on) but at the time i read your first post i was having computer problems.......

maturity is very lacking in this forum by some......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:40 am
kate4christ03 wrote:
im curious ...is if they get their name and some of their fundamentalist beliefs from the nazarites in the bible......? i couldnt find anything on that on their homepage......

There is only an indirect connection there ... consisting of little more than a couple of shared sylables. Neither today's self-styled Nazerines nor today's wholly unrelated self-styled, similarly named Nazarites have much in theophilosophical common with the entities referrenced in Christian scripture, doctrinal writings, and tradition as "Nazarenes" or "Nazarites".
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:47 am
thank you....that was all i wanted to know from the beginning.....now was that so hard... Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:51 am
Dunno - didn't strike me as hard to figure out from the already-offered info.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:54 am
kate4christ03 wrote:
maturity is very lacking in this forum by some......

Evidently.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:59 am
That the name denotes one who came from Nazareth, as did Jesus, is discussed here.

There is also a discussion of the difference between Nazarene and Nazarite,

The site may be reached by Googling 'Nazarene Nazarite',
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:00 pm
Kate....if a person refused to communicate with anyone who at one time or another did not meet their criteria of manners, friendliness etc....they would very soon have no one to talk to.

one nice thing about A2k is that you realize you can communicate with people very different from yourself, and learn the different ways that people communicate.

I've learned interesting stuff and new skills from people who can make my blood boil.....it's all good.
0 Replies