Careless Nudity

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 11:13 pm
Quote:
A husband and wife make joint decisions. When there is no husband, and the children are in the custody of the mother,[/B] the mother gets the full responsibility that would be shared with a husband and wife. She is the one walking around naked, not the BF, so why do you feel her rights are diminished by not having a husband?

I didn't say her rights were dimished by not having a husband. And I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth I didn't say.

What I said was..she needs to have enough respect for her daughters not to go prancing around naked in front of them. That just because they were of the same sex, doesn't make it right. It embarrasses the girls. That in itself should be enough to cause her to put some clothes on.

And you need to go back and reread Val's post on lying in the GF's bed, while she pranced around naked in front of them. Do you honestly think that he was lying there fully clothed, while she was naked? Therefore...if anyone had any decency, they should have atleast shut the door, or waited for them to be asleep, weren't at home, or gone elsewhere.

And what if she marries him. Does that change things? I don't see why it should make a difference, morally, since it is just a legal agreement.

No..not really. A stepfather has a role, a line that he shouldn't cross, and I still believe there is a time and place for everything. The only thing I think it might change and make more acceptable is the fact that he is lying in her bed. He'd then have a right to be there.

Basically, there is just no grounds here...as long as they aren't asking the children to do anything sexual, taking pictures of the children, or letting the children watch, and not doing it on public property...it's within the realm of discretion.

How in the hell is it discrete if mom's BF is lying in her bed, within plain view of the three daughters, while mom is prancing around naked in the house, not to count, the one daughter covered his eyes? This tells me, that while lying in mom's bed...the daughter crawled up there also...which neither one had any business sharing at that point! Discrete is keeping their sex life to themselves, private, behind closed doors. Not sharing each time they had sex with the daughters.

Stuh, I don't know what world you are existing on, but wake up and smell the roses.

I don't know whether you married or not, but I'm presuming that you are niether married, nor have children, because you do not see anything wrong in this behavior.

But lets presume that you have 3 lil girls, and your ex-wife is in the habit of walking around naked in front of them and her boyfriend. Well..since its alright for mom to go around naked, hell...let the boyfriend drop his drawers while were at it too.

If nakedness shouldn't be such an issue, you wouldn't have a problem with the flavor of the night introducing those lil girls to the one eyed wiggle worm huh? Gee...its all in fun.......what harm could it cause?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 06:09 am
Quote:
I don't know whether you married or not, but I'm presuming that you are niether married, nor have children, because you do not see anything wrong in this behavior.

first of all, did you miss the part where I said it would probably be disturbing for the children?

i also find religion disturbing (more so), but I'm not advocating parents who teach their children religion to have their children removed by child services.

do you see the point? as parents, it's their right to raise their children how they want, as long as it's not abusive.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 06:27 am
ossobuco wrote:
I see my post was skirted over.

Ok.

No, I read it, and agree.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 06:31 am
Quote:
first of all, did you miss the part where I said it would probably be disturbing for the children? No, I'm quite aware of the fact that you wrote that. I agree.

i also find religion disturbing (more so), but I'm not advocating parents who teach their children religion to have their children removed by child services. If it goes to the point of abuse, which some children have suffered at the hands of religous zealots, then by all means, remove the child.

do you see the point? No... not the one your attempting to make.

as parents, it's their right to raise their children how they want, as long as it's not abusive. I agree with you on this statement.

But your missing my point! If this humiliates and embarrasses the girls, then it needs to stop, this kinda of behavior by the mother is/ can be considered emotional abuse, have you ever thought about that? This belittles the girls, not to count is hypocritical. To be embarassed and humiliated...Well, I agree as teens it doesn't take much for that to happen with a parent, but for them to go to such a degree as being naked...at the slightest opportunity, is wrong.

The way Val writes, its a problem. This isn't some sudden streak through the livingroom, or down the hallway where they catch a glimpse of her naked ass. This is an everyday habit. One that embarasses the girls...and I'm against it. It even bothers the author of this thread. So...can you not understand that its distrubing?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:06 am
When children are at the age where sex becomes a curiousity, and thier bodies begin to grow, seeing parents naked brings about sexual feelings that they are not yet ready or able to comprehend.

Those feelings should happen with thier peers, and not their parents.

but thats just my opinion i guess
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:43 am
Seeing your parent naked is emotional abuse???

Wow.

Thats a lot of families who go to nudist beaches or colonies, for example, whom Makemeshiver would have separated by force.

Damn.

Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:51 am
ossobuco wrote:
Yes they could. Someone of my extended family was accused, and among the things they got him on was taking a shower with his child [..] and for having her walk in the room with his girlfriend having her boobs exposed in bed, which he'd cheerfully admitted to.

He paid for many thousands of dollars of therapy because of those events

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Now that is downright scary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:51 am
Yeah, that was my take too.

Just as we as a culture don't see the hair or face as inherently sexual while those who advocate burkhas do, there are many cultures and sub-cultures and individuals who don't see nudity as inherently sexual.

I mean, why aren't African tribes that go all or mostly naked engaged in incest left and right?

To me there is a big difference between sub-optimal parenting, and parenting that is bad enough that child protective services should be called.

If a mother is embarrassing her daughters with her nudity and their embarrassment is reasonable (I mean, teenagers can be embarrassed by their moms wearing the wrong brand of jeans), it's irresponsible for the mom to ignore that in the same way that it would be irresponsible for her to make PB&J sandwiches for their lunches when she (the mom) knows they hate peanut butter. Not nice, no "good mom" award, but child protective services?

Now the other level is what Osso described, that someone should know better because it COULD happen. I agree with that. I stop before generalizing that it SHOULD happen, though -- if a family wants to go to a nudist colony and the kids are fine with that, I think it should be fine with the authorities, too.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:54 am
You miss the point, I think, nimh. MMS clearly states that if seeing the parent(s) naked embarasses or humiliates the children, then THAT is emotionally abusive. I concur. Furthermore, it's clear that this isn't just an innocent, la-di-da, oh nudity is natural and wondrous, kind of a situation. Boyfriend's in the bed, wearing God know what-- if anything, and mom's parading around starkers. That makes for a sexually charged and potentially very psychologically damaging atmosphere, IMO.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:55 am
Oh and mms, that's how I read the step-father thing too -- that it was the 14-year-old daughter who he tried to molest -- but evidently Val meant that his girlfriend was herself propositioned (or something) by her own 80-year-old stepfather, who lives nearby.

From what's been said here I can see the girlfriend being a delightful if unconventional person and a great mom, or a total psycho, or some point in between (this seems most likely). I can't tell, though. What seems clear though is that it's not a good match.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:17 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
My oldest son is 12, would it be appropriate for me to walk around naked in front of him? [..] If I was to do that, and people found out, the first thing they would do is place a call to Child protection services, and quite frankly, I wouldn't blame them.

Are you kidding?? Call the Child protection because a kid sees his/her parent naked?

makemeshiver33 wrote:
What complication might this inflict on their psyche years later? Turn them into uneducated tarts????

Kids grow up into "uneducated tarts" because they saw their parent naked??

If you didnt sound so passionate I would have thought you were joking. As things stand, you obviously are not. OK, so you have different values and opinions on raising children, fine. I dont like some ways parents raise their children either - I dont like cjhsa taking his kids shooting, for example. But calling the Child protection agency? Having kids taken away from their parents - because they have seen them naked?

Again, do you know how many thousands of families go to nudist places on holidays, for example? You are saying all these kids are de facto being "emotionally abused" that way? That those families should all be split up by the authorities? You must not be thinking this through.

Like - unless anyone is proposing cjhsa's kids to be taken away from him too, which would be crazy and which I assume noone is doing - that means that the message here is - a parent taking his kids out shooting is ok or disapprovable but no reason to call child protection - but a parent who's seen naked by her kid - call the cops, have the kid taken away from her?

Just absolutely crazy to me. Must be some American thing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:26 am
Count on Habibi to attempt to suggest that Americans are trogloditic Neanderthals who don't understand the excellence of enlightened European culture.

I happen to agree that mere nudity is not a sufficient reason to take someone's children away from them. The situation here describes something quite different than mere nudity, and, inferentially, the woman in question is someone with severe emotional problems.

The likely objection that someone in America might have to nudity would spring from an adherence to conservative Protestant values--it isn't "an American thing," it isn't imbibed by drinking the water. There are nudist societies in the United States and there are nude beaches. There are also right-wing Christian crackpots who think all homosexuals should die. I rather suspect that you're in no position to assert that there are no Europeans who object to public nudity, or that all Europeans approve of and regularly attend nude beaches with their children. The most you might be able to do is to suggest that public nudity is more widely accepted in Europe than it is in the United States, and not that there is some monumental black-white dichotomy.

It also helps to remember that most of your conservative religious crackpots came to America over the last few centuries so that they would be free to pursue their repressive belief set unmolested.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:39 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
You have no business being in her bed, naked or dressed, while those girls are home, I don't care what stage of the relationship you are in. Your not married to her

Shocked No sex without marriage for single parents? Or they can only have some on special trips outside the house, if and when they have managed to arrange childminders for the evening? And you're really not kidding?

Let me tell you something.

My mother was single for almost twenty years from her divorce. Whe was about my age when she divorced (!) - just thirty three!

She never found a new man to marry. But of course she occasionally had a boyfriend. I mean, she was thirtythree when she divorced.

Now if you had had a say over it, she would have had to stay celibate apart from special visits away from the house.

Well, I'm glad you didnt.

My mom had a relationship for a number of years, and when he came over (my sister and I were teens) we had the decency and tact to spend the later evening in our own rooms.

And luckily there was no one wagging her finger telling her that as a single mum she did not have the right to have sex in her own home - and moreover, that if she did, she deserved to have her kids taken away from her ( Shocked ).

If anyone woulda said that, I would have wanted to slap them for their sheer stupidity. I mean, Seriously.

PS - Now I dont get the thing with the abusive stepfather living next door - and she still living there with her kids, and being naked in his view at that. On that count I agree - thats just weird. I dont understand really, or/and am not to sure whether to believe it in the first place. So I'm just not touching that.

blacksmithn wrote:
MMS clearly states that if seeing the parent(s) naked embarasses or humiliates the children, then THAT is emotionally abusive.

Blacksmith come on. Kids can be, as Soz said, embarassed to death by their mom wearing the wrong brand of jeans. Or, horror of horrors, dancing (!).

Now I agree a nice and thoughtful mum would go out of her way sometimes not to do those things. But "emotional abuse" if she doesnt? Thats stretching the term to dangerous limits. If we are going to use the label "abuse" for embarassing your child with something, the whole term loses its meaning, and it will go at the detriment of fighting parents who do actually do their child serious harm.

blacksmithn wrote:
Boyfriend's in the bed, wearing God know what-- if anything, and mom's parading around starkers. That makes for a sexually charged and potentially very psychologically damaging atmosphere, IMO.

Hasnt every kid walked into his parents sometime? Him in bed, naked perhaps but sheets drawn up, her standing naked, is that such an outrageous situation? Seems fairly run-of-the-mill to me. "Very pychologically damaging"? Oy vey. Reason to call in Child Protection? Thats just criminal.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:50 am
Fortunately, we don't all seem to possess your seemingly cosmopolitan sensibilities! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:53 am
Quote:
Are you kidding?? Call the Child protection because a kid sees his/her parent naked?

No, I never said.."Call Child protection because the child has seen the parent naked." If that were the case, than thousands of children would be taken from the home.

What I said was...that this situation is wrong. It embarasses the girls, it should be stopped.

Why do some see it as normal because its the mother naked in front of daughters? What if it were teenage sons? Would it still be deemed suitable?

You know Nimh, we were raised up in different countries. Total nudity in public is not acceptable here, its not the norm. And for those that want to engage the entire family in nudism, far be it for me to say they are wrong, as long as the ENTIRE FAMILY IS COMFORTABLE WITH IT! But were talking about one woman...and three daughters...and a boyfriend lying in her bed.

Quote:
Kids grow up into "uneducated tarts" because they saw their parent naked??

If you didnt sound so passionate I would have thought you were joking. As things stand, you obviously are not. OK, so you have different values and opinions on raising children, fine. I dont like some ways parents raise their children either - I dont like cjhsa taking his kids shooting, for example. But calling the Child protection agency? Having kids taken away from their parents - because they have seen them naked?

Yes, I have a set of values that I will stand by. I have two boys, ages 8 and 12. Yes...they have walked in on me in the bathroom. I don't make a big deal out of it, but I excuse them right on out. I have no need to share my body with my sons at this age. What pride or joy would I gain from allowing my sons to watch me bath, or stand naked while grooming? Thats why I have doors that close....theres a time to draw the line with children and whats acceptable with nudity.

And..again, I never said take the kids away. But if I was the father, you damned skippy I'd have a problem with it. It wouldn't be any different if I were to divorce and my husband took to parading around naked in front of my sons while his GF had her ass piled up in the bed.

Everything has a time and place.

As for the Tart statement...YEA! Nimh, different aspects of a childs life bring on different standards of values/morals on down the road. If a child watches the parents smoke crack, what are the chances that child will grow up to smoke crack, because it was acceptable in the home, so why shouldn't it be acceptable for them to do it also? Mom done it!

So...we have a 9, 10, and a 14 year old girl that has watched mom strut around naked in front of the boyfriend, while they are in the livingroom...what might that bring about for these girls later on down the road? Hell it was acceptable for mom to do it...why not me?

Quote:
Again, do you know how many thousands of families go to nudist places on holidays, for example? You are saying all these kids are de facto being "emotionally abused" that way? That those families should all be split up by the authorities? You must not be thinking this through.

No, I do not know how many people enjoy nudist colonies on vacations. Nor do I care...I did not say that those kids would be "de facto" due to it.

But you have to look at it this way. It embarasses the girls. Why? If it is embarassing them, then someone has taught them that nudity isn't acceptable as the norm for everyday life, 24/7. They have been taught that there is a time and place for it. If they weren't taught this, then it wouldn't embarrass them. It would then be acceptable.

And I have thought this through...Thank you.

Quote:
Like - unless anyone is proposing cjhsa's kids to be taken away from him too, which would be crazy and which I assume noone is doing - that means that the message here is - a parent taking his kids out shooting is ok or disapprovable but no reason to call child protection - but a parent who's seen naked by her kid - call the cops, have the kid taken away from her?

Well, your trying like hell to belittle me with these statements Nimh, thats fine. I will stand by what I said. Yes, it irks the hell out of me.

Apparently the mother is not completely sane, people in America don't go naked in public, just for the fun of it. This is a cry for attention from the mother, I'm sorry you missed that point. Its humiliating for the girls, sorry you missed that point.

If you humiliate a child enough through their life, they end up screwed up...it happens. Yes...if mom couldn't restrain herself out of respect for the girls feelings, then ya..I'd have her ass...and the boyfriends too.

blacksmithn
Quote:
You miss the point, I think, nimh. MMS clearly states that if seeing the parent(s) naked embarasses or humiliates the children, then THAT is emotionally abusive. I concur. Furthermore, it's clear that this isn't just an innocent, la-di-da, oh nudity is natural and wondrous, kind of a situation. Boyfriend's in the bed, wearing God know what-- if anything, and mom's parading around starkers. That makes for a sexually charged and potentially very psychologically damaging atmosphere, IMO.

EXACTLY!

And let me throw in something else here.

I know two men that are in their 40's now. It was the norm for mom to go naked in the home in front of them also. MOF, she slept naked with them as teenagers. Is this acceptable behavior of a mother? No....

These two men, also were introduced to dope by their mother, was that acceptable? Nooo

These two men, are so screwed up today, they don't know right from wrong. One has been in and out of prison so many times its crazy. He's also a pedifile, and a major crackhead. The other son, he's crazy and a methhead...Dope and sex rule these two mens lives.

Would thier life be considered normal? If they had been taught values, and some decency...they may not have turned out to be the thugs they are now.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:04 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Fortunately, we don't all seem to possess your seemingly cosmopolitan sensibilities! Rolling Eyes

What the hell is "cosmopolitan" about thinking a single mum should be allowed to sleep with her boyfriend in her own home? Or about thinking that a kid seeing her mum naked is no reason to call in Child Protection?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:07 am
If that's all the described situation represents to you, then you'll never get the point.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:16 am
Quote:
No sex without marriage for single parents? I didn't say that. Or they can only have some on special trips outside the house, if and when they have managed to arrange childminders for the evening? And you're really not kidding?

Let me tell you something. There is a time and place for everything. I was the product of a divorced couple Nimh. When my mother divorced, she had boyfriends. But it was taken outside the home, or brought into our home when we went to stay with our father on the weekends. Us girls were not involved in her affairs. If we were, it was dinner, watch a movie..and they left. She even had a man live in our home for over a year. It come as a surprise to us, because we never knew he had been there until they married, and some years later she told us. We were not involved in her affairs in that manner. I do respect my mother for that much. She didn't involve us in her tit 4 tat.

To myself, that is the respectable way to do it. We were 6 and 3. My mother had a life, but she lived it with us, while we were with her, and when we were gone, she done as she pleased.

Let me tell you something.

My mother was single for almost twenty years from her divorce. Whe was about my age when she divorced (!) - just thirty three!

She never found a new man to marry. But of course she occasionally had a boyfriend. I mean, she was thirtythree when she divorced.

Now if you had had a say over it, she would have had to stay celibate apart from special visits away from the house.

Well, I'm glad you didnt.

My mom had a relationship for a number of years, and when he came over (my sister and I were teens) we had the decency and tact to spend the later evening in our own rooms.

You had the decency and tact to leave the room? PFFT! I'm talking nudity Nimh, not eating dinner...

And luckily there was no one wagging her finger telling her that as a single mum she did not have the right to have sex in her own home - and moreover, that if she did, she deserved to have her kids taken away from her ( ). PFFT! I never said that! I never said she didn't have the right to have sex in her own home. But she needs to have enough repect for herself and her daughters that they shouldn't be able to keep a tally on the amount or number of orgasms their mother has had.

If anyone woulda said that, I would have wanted to slap them for their sheer stupidity. I mean, Seriously.

PS - Now I dont get the thing with the abusive stepfather living next door - and she still living there with her kids, and being naked in his view at that. On that count I agree - thats just weird. I dont understand really, or/and am not to sure whether to believe it in the first place. So I'm just not touching that.

That in itself oughta tell you that something is amiss here.

blacksmithn wrote:
MMS clearly states that if seeing the parent(s) naked embarasses or humiliates the children, then THAT is emotionally abusive.

Blacksmith come on. Kids can be, as Soz said, embarassed to death by their mom wearing the wrong brand of jeans. Or, horror of horrors, dancing (!).

Now I agree a nice and thoughtful mum would go out of her way sometimes not to do those things. But "emotional abuse" if she doesnt? Thats stretching the term to dangerous limits. If we are going to use the label "abuse" for embarassing your child with something, the whole term loses its meaning, and it will go at the detriment of fighting parents who do actually do their child serious harm.

HA! Nimh..were not talking about brands of jeans. Hell if that were the case, my child would be totally embarrassed any given day. Yes, children embarrass easily. But being humiliated by thier mothers nudity is emotional abuse. If it were a one time thing, BIG WHOOP! But were talking about an excess amount of nudity, multiple times.

blacksmithn wrote:
Boyfriend's in the bed, wearing God know what-- if anything, and mom's parading around starkers. That makes for a sexually charged and potentially very psychologically damaging atmosphere, IMO.

Hasnt every kid walked into his parents sometime? Yes, mine have. Him in bed, naked perhaps but sheets drawn up, her standing naked, is that such an outrageous situation? It can be, dependent on how it is handled. Seems fairly run-of-the-mill to me. Run of the mill my ass. "Very pychologically damaging"? Oy vey. Reason to call in Child Protection? Thats just criminal.

blacksmithn
Quote:
If that's all the described situation represents to you, then you'll never get the point

Nope..you will never get the point. What is acceptable as the norm in one country, doesn't make it acceptable here. It is not acceptable. If it were, then people wouldn't be put in jail for public nudity or indecent exposure.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:24 am
Seeing your parents naked cannot constitute as emotional abuse. That's just ridiculous. People can raise their children according to any beliefs they want. If they believed that they should raise their family in a cave wearing loincloths, then thats freaking ok...humans have been doing that longer than wearing designer clothes. The only reason why this would be disturbing to a kid in the first place is because they would realize that other families were different and they would want their parents to be normal. But if everyone was like this, it would seem normal. Nobody is being abused.
0 Replies

valhalla

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:27 am
Clarification
I see some questioning the legitimacy of my post and thinking it's phony. I wish it were not for real but it is. I have never been married although close, and I do not have any kids. I do however have many neices and nephews and am not clueless about kids. I also have some psychology background.

In this country, hell in this world, we get bombarded 24X7 with conflicting viewpoints about sex, nudity, the rights and wrongs of bringin up children and many other things. For me in this case, I was assuming I could trust this mother that she knew what she was doing in raising her kids. How would any mother react to someone telling them they are not bringing up their children well?

You have sparked some eye openers for me relative to my GF's children. I thought I expressed my own awareness and concern about some of what's going on out of concern for these kids. Again they are her children and to the same extent that some think I have no business being in her bed, I also have not business telling her what to do regarding her kids.

If I stay at her place we do not go to bed before her kids are asleep. This is still relatively new for me with her too. In the morning my GF went to make coffee and brought it back to the room. At some point 2 of the kids were knocking at the door and she let them in. I had not gotten up yet and felt extremely uncomfortable with them coming in even though I was totally covered up and my GF was in her robe. She constantly assured me that the kids were ok with this. Evidently this kind of thing was not new to them. Regardless I did not feel comfortable with it.

Important point here: The step-father made a pass at my GF NOT one of her daughters. As far as I know this was a result of senility or something.

GF is not prancing in the yard but rather will walk in front of the window in going to get something in the living room for example at night. She is either oblivious to the possible visibility from outside from the road or whatever, she doesn't care or she get's some kind of thrill from it. This is out in the country by the way as opposed to a populated neighborhoos.

The step father would have to be walking up the road or hanging out in the yard peepiing in order to see.

The interesting thing is wondering how she would feel about her 14 year old doing any of what she is doing. My guess is she would not allow that yet her actions are setting an example and saying it's ok.

What I really wanted focus on here is my GF's disregard for appropriate behavior regarding nudity or different degress of nudity in front of other people.

Calling me a crack pot seems pretty clueless and immature. I am trying to get important feedback and some have to lash out rather than trying to gain the capacity for understanding and the self esteem for compassion!

But thanks anyway!
0 Replies