What causes racial hatred: racists or racial friction?

sweetcomplication

Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Oh, honestly, Frank, why can't men hold more than one thought in their pretty little heads at one time would be one answer. The other answer; the other would be yes, Frank, you have indeed lost your mind Laughing . We sorry, Frank. Tartar and I sort of veered off, but it was all about your gender, so 'don't worry, be happy', we showed how there is no racial friction between us and the men we are attracted to; now, we give control back to you Twisted Evil ...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Is this thread in a major league sidetrack -- or have I lost my mind?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Oy, such pontification about a movie that most likely sucks!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Whatsa matta you spoilsport, Apisa, you don' getta charge outta Cheadle?
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Yes, Tartar, it was called "Doing Time On Maple Drive" and he was surprisingly good!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Here you go, SC -- enjoy!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/08/movies/08HOCH.html

Oldandknew: We must be about the same age and I DO understand because I've watched the context (and content) of the bigot's rationalizations change. Mind you, each generation will find its own rationalization for bigotry if it wants to. I started to get into examples and deleted because I don't want to get into it! Also, I had the luck of having a close Af-Am friend while living in Europe where she and her husband lived nearby, and in that clearer air we were able to get to the bottom of a lot of the crap. She, by the way, lives in/settled in London. Wants no truck with this country.
BTW -- I can barely make out your avatar -- is that a shire horse with white ankles, or what?
0 Replies

Tartarin

He was in a TV movie once, a surprisingly respectable one, as the sufferin' older brother of a kid who was coming out of the closet in a wholly dysfunctional family. His quiet and excellent acting made the film for me. He's good, and the last thing he needs is to be in Hollywood (must be nice for his bank account, though...) Please take him home and give him the chance to be a mensch again.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

"Don gives you this energy that's totally explosive, and if you're not ready for it, he'll blow you off the screen."

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/06/08/movies/08CND-cheadle.jpg

SweetCee says, knees shaking, thank you very much, Tartarin, you're a very good girl, Tartarin :wink: .
0 Replies

Tartarin

(Hey, SweetCee, glad you enjoyed! I once met Tommy Lee Jones and, though my head remained cool and the talk glib, my knees were about to collapse. Would not like to predict what a meeting with Cheadle or Billy Crudup would do!!)

"...The same old tradition of the saintly black man who is shown caring for the relatively trivial worries of white protagonists":
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/11/movies/MoviesFeatures/11GOD.html
0 Replies

Tartarin

Canada Council should have a special punishment for actors who go south and make lousy movies. Actually, the guy used to be funny and even a good actor!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

ooooooh, Don Cheadle, yum
Did you see Devil in a Blue Dress? simply great
How about his seamless accent throughout Ocean's 11? perfect
Did you watch Picket Fences way back when? loved him there as well
0 Replies

oldandknew

Tartarin. Yep it's a shire horse, a trad English one with hairy feet. Magic animals.

Your comments about race are interesting. America's experience is different to the UK's of course. History has a lot to answer for. Having said that, hatred is still hatred under any terms. Segregation was not on the statute books here but people did practice it openly. Thankfully we've moved forward somewhat, I hope
0 Replies

Tartarin

What is it about that guy that he's so scrumptious! Maybe it's because you can tell he has a deep and thorough sense of humor. Can't take my eyes off him when he's on-screen. Saw Devil. Saw only little pieces of Ocean's. Lemme see if I can find the article I read about him for you...
0 Replies

Setanta

I with ya on that one OAK . . . anti-immigrant is very popular in the U.S. among conservatives, and is often crypto-racism. I've always said, and have always been willing to say, that we're all nouveau arrivés here, and anyone who shows up, works, pays his taxes and obeys the law is just as much an American as i am. It doesn't necessarily convince other people, but it shuts 'em up when i'm havin' my lunch in the diner, which i do not intend to have disturbed . . .
0 Replies

oldandknew

I grew up in London in the 40s & 50s. There weren't many black faces of any nationality. As they began to arrive in numbers, racism rose from peoples fears. Why ? I didn't understand the bigotry I saw in my parents. It was in my mind pointless, cruel, heartless. I couldn't see a problem with the color of a person's skin or his religion or the land of his birth. I went to school with kids from the West Indies, India and China. They were friends and we got on just fine. When I started work I was part of a similar situation. Mixed culture. No problem in my mind.
Yes we have race problems in UK 2003. I wish we didn't, tho they are much less prominent than they were. The way to eradicate racism is for employers, inc. government depts and police forces to make the public as a whole aware of the fact that we have a large black and asian community, that they work, earn a living, pay tax, raise kids and want a safe and secure life.
I didn't understand the bigots 50 years ago and I still don't
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

oak, I also grew up in the 40s and 50s, and lived with discrimination, because I'm Japanese American. It was really bad fifty years ago, but it has improved dramatically. Our family is now made up of all races and cultures. I think it's the beginniing of the end of discrimination and bigotry for the majority in this world. I doubt we'll eradicate bigotry, because there are so many small minded people all over the globe, and they'll continue to teach it to their children. I prefer to see the glass as half full. c.i.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Tartarin, as part of her previous post, wrote:
"...There are parts of the country -- social and professional areas -- where racism has all but disappeared. That is my experience of the art world in major urban areas..."

That was also my experience until some African-American friends in San Francisco disabused me of that misperception. I was told that sometimes they felt an undercurrent, apparently beneath our radar, of racism just below the surface of a lot of 'friendly', read politically correct, people and that they were quite uncomfortable with it. One person shared that he even thinks, although he never really would, of returning to a more backward area just to have the hatred straight out rather than feeling that he had to spend time just wading through what he perceived as a lot of insincere crap that left him wondering... I can understand that, but I find it very disheartening. Unfortunately, that has become my experience of life in one of the most progressive cities in the country Crying or Very sad .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Is JM truly against La Raza, or just a shill for the group? It is getting hard to tell...
0 Replies

Tartarin

I've heard others express the same wish, SweetComplication! My participation in "the art world" has been mostly in NYC, NJ and New England, so it may be skewed. But I wouldn't be surprised if many felt that way. Hollywood is really bad. I was reading about one of my favorite top-10 actors, Don Cheadle, and how he's hit the ceiling.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Setanta wrote:
I with ya on that one OAK . . .

Same with me, although I grew up more than a decade later.

Setanta wrote:
and anyone who shows up, works, pays his taxes and obeys the law is just as much an American as i am. It doesn't necessarily convince other people, but it shuts 'em up when i'm havin' my lunch in the diner, which i do not intend to have disturbed . . .

And growing up here in post-war Germany convinced me that humans are just humans, working or without job, paying taxes or sheating the state, obeying the law or criminals.
Since I truely believe that there is only one human 'race', showing a couple of 'colours' - and I don't mean expressis verbis "skin" by that!
0 Replies